• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Birmingham City | 04/12/04

A

Anonymous

Canuck said:
Word on the web is that he did alright but wasn't as solid as he was expected to be. Very close to spilling that one drive and just saved it on the line. The fact that he managed the shut out is a bit over flattering, if the reports are to be believed. I have heard nothing to dispute this...how many errors has Jens had in how many games? Well Almunia has had 2 in 2 now. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Of course I expect he would improve with more games. Well I would bloody well hope so...

He had one save to make, of which he made a complete balls up. Kicking wasnt great either.

I avoided all the news and waited all day to see the result of the game on match of the day. All i have to say is YES!!!! :D , I nearly had an orgasm when the final whistel went. Its been a long time since Arsenal have made me feel so good, im so happy I just wanted to share my joy.(sorry its 7 hours late)

patrick42uk

Established Member
Mark said:
las said:
Almunia did quite well and deserve the chance to start against Rosenborg. anyone agree?

I disagree. He looked rather shakey at times. Not what I had hoped for. He was great in La Liga last season, but he really doesn't seem like much of an improvement on Lehmann.

he's only had one game. nerves are likely to play a part. he needs a run for any judgments to be made. i think he'll get the rosenborg game.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
The defence looked more comfortable and confident than they had in a long while, to me at least.. Whether that was down to Almunia, who can say?

Henry IV

Finally a big win and a clean sheet. Ljungberg was brilliant again. He's been our best player in recent months. Very tenacious and never giving up. Pires is a great goalscorer from midfield and I think we've said all there is to say about Henry. A big result at the start of a big week.

siddharth

Mark said:
las said:
Almunia did quite well and deserve the chance to start against Rosenborg. anyone agree?

I disagree. He looked rather shakey at times. Not what I had hoped for. He was great in La Liga last season, but he really doesn't seem like much of an improvement on Lehmann.

Dropping Almunia for the next match won't be nice on Wenger's part who is one of the best managers in the world.It would mean wenger doesn't have confidence in Almunia and judging him on the basis of one match would be stupid. Wenger is not the sort of man who likes to gamble particularly in big matches and i'm sure he must have put a lot of thought into dropping Lehmann at such a crucial stage.

Almunia needs a run of atleast 5 to 6 matches before wenger makes a decision about him. I'm now pretty convinced wenger is looking for a Goalkeeper and Lehmann will be allowed to leave at the end of the season.What remains to be seen is how Almunia performs....... :D

air

What's funny about the keeper situation is that I thought very highly of Lehmann when he was playing in Germany, and I don't recall hearing about Almunia before he moved to Arsenal. At the moment I prefer our Spanish keeper, though.

The game was just so dull for the first half hour until Pires scored. It's funny how he's been, in my opinion, one of the off-form players recently, yet he still has nine goals already.

I wouldn't mind two separate threads for matches, one for posting info on what's happening and pre-match talk and another one for post-match analysis. You want to read what people had to say and you get 10 pages of yeahs and ohs about goals and all.

Yeah?

towelie

Sol said:
He had one save to make, of which he made a complete balls up. Kicking wasnt great either.

i always thought lehmann's kicks sucked a lot. i didn't see yesterday's game - almunia's kicks are worse??

i saw match of the day and there was one highlight when he came out really well when savage could have got in a scoring position. i was quite impressed because it seemed to me that this season lehmann hasn't always been timing those runs out

it was his first game. i think we should show him some love

champions04

towelie said:
Sol said:

i always thought lehmann's kicks sucked a lot. i didn't see yesterday's game - almunia's kicks are worse??

i saw match of the day and there was one highlight when he came out really well when savage could have got in a scoring position. i was quite impressed because it seemed to me that this season lehmann hasn't always been timing those runs out

it was his first game. i think we should show him some love

That's what I thought as well. Don't think goal kicks are Lehmann's strong points. Some of the time, it doesn't even cross the halfway line. Almunia's goalkicks are more pacy and it allowed Reyes to head a ball down to Henry at one point. I also think he is more quick at coming out of his goaline and just clearing the ball.
That being said, the man almost made two mistakes which could have been costly. Maybe Wenger will put him in the game against Rosenberg but I'm 99.9% sure that Lehmann will be back against Chelsea

Spike

Established Member
Almunia lacked composure, he hurried to clear balls and most of them went into the stands.

He should look up and try find Cole/Lauren.

Apart from that, he had nothing much to do.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Almunia has better kicks than Lehmann. If you watched Carling Cup matches you would see they are long hard and have a low trajectory. Not low enough that the opposition would get the bal in our half but low and hard enough that a chanc can be made from it unlike the high lofty ones that you just get under control or have a game of head tennis with the oppposition. Almunia was just nervour last night. I have watched quite a few of his games and always say to myself how I wished Lehmann could take kicking lessons from him. Onnce he gets used to playing in a big team in a big league he will get over this nervousness and his kicking will be back to normal.

lee1001

Established Member
In regards to the Almunia vs Lehmann Situation.

It is no surprise to me that we kept a clean sheet.
Birmingham have scored only 12 goals in the premiership this season. Thierry has scored 13.

Wenger surely knows this and im wondering if he deliberatly put Almunia in the starting line-up because the chances of us keeping a clean sheet were high and therefore Almunia would have got a lot of confidence from not conceding.

Once he has the confidence then maybe we will see he is the better keeper. Wenger has been quoted recently as saying he thinks Almunia is a quality keeper and perhaps supports my argument.

Sammer

Established Member
lee1001 said:
In regards to the Almunia vs Lehmann Situation.

It is no surprise to me that we kept a clean sheet.
Birmingham have scored only 12 goals in the premiership this season. Thierry has scored 13.

Wenger surely knows this and im wondering if he deliberatly put Almunia in the starting line-up because the chances of us keeping a clean sheet were high and therefore Almunia would have got a lot of confidence from not conceding.

Once he has the confidence then maybe we will see he is the better keeper. Wenger has been quoted recently as saying he thinks Almunia is a quality keeper and perhaps supports my argument.

Yeah, this was the perfect match to give Alumnia confidence, which he probably lacked after his blunder against the ManC´s.

This is great managing by Arsène in my view. Maybe he is trying to get more competition going with Lehmann.

Lehmann´s recent performances in the german national team, all of them pretty oustanding, show, that he can handle it and Wenger will try to take advantage of that.

At the same time, we all get a better picture of how good Alumnia is, which can only be good considering Lehmann´s age and our upcoming need for a long-term-keeper.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom