• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Newcastle United | 23/01/05

Sonic Youth

I'm very happy about our overall performance. the players worked really hard and the crowd got behind them for once.
i think vieira was our key player today as he dominated midfield, where most of the game took place today, there were lots of battles over there.
kolo touré's elbow looked really mean, but i wouldn't be surprised if shearer provoked him, by saying things or by making little annoying fouls which the ref. and the spectators didn't notice.
the only player who didn't play well was thierry henry, i think it was his worst match he has ever played for us. he looked annoyed and angry to the other arsenal players all the time when they made a mistake, but he didn't do anything well himself. i think he either needs a rest if he's tired or a good kick up the arse if he's just being lazy (which i don't think).

MightyArsenal

Reyes was good, because he was given alot of space and time. This is when he fluorishes. He just needs to improve his passing, but id have to say I prefer him on the left than up front. I also prefer him to Pires on the left, the way he worked back was great stuff. I guess the break did him good.

he shouldnt have got booked...it was a stupid tackle to get booked for as he was never going to get the ball, but its good to see that he is committed and not chickening out of challenges, even though he has been targeted all this season. it just shows his character, and that he is going to become an ever stronger player

Asterix

Established Member
I've just got in to work, and the only thing I can say is "PHEW".

I said before the game I'd be happy with any sort of win, and I'm ecstatic with this one. Any clean sheet is good, but this one has come at a really good time, following 4 games in a row where we'd conceded a goal. Hopefully it will kick off a bit of a run. Hopefully too our attack will start to find the inside of the post soon too. They're a quality bunch of forwards and the good times will roll soon.

AFCG7

Established Member
About friggin time the team showed ome desire and some hunger. If we played like that against Bolton , Man City and West Brom we wouldnt have been so far off the pace. ****in hell.. lets give it all we've got for the remainder of the season.

air

A good game by Arsenal and a good game in general. The attacking play looked better than it has for a while, even during the four-match (was it four?) winning streak recently.

Dennis was excellent especially early on and Henry was lively, he made his best efforts from half-chances although he wasn't very much on form. Reyes worked well but I still don't think he's close to his best level. Vieira and Flamini's partnership worked well against the five-man midfield as the latter is physically more competent than Fabregas.

A good win and even better considering the way Arsenal played, this one leaves me expecting some very good things in the next few weeks. 8)

nidza7

Established Member
What a relief to see our lads in full atack again.Shame we missed all these chances spec. Pires after Henry`s dummy.
We just can`t score from set pieces!9-0 in corners and nothing!

Anyway,no need to worry if we play like this vs ManU! :wink:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
littlemissshy said:
he shouldnt have got booked...it was a stupid tackle to get booked for as he was never going to get the ball, but its good to see that he is committed and not chickening out of challenges, even though he has been targeted all this season. it just shows his character, and that he is going to become an ever stronger player

Good to see him stand up for himself (and just in time for the mancs, too!) The key, having done it once, is not to do it again. And make sure you don't get caught in a "dive" situation. Which he didn't.

As for Toure's elbow, not pleasant, but probably deserved. I mean, come on, it was Alan Shearer....

Mark

Established Member
Yeah I saw Berto. Nice suit jacket he was wearing, didn't really go with that Arsenal hat though. :wink:

OneProudGooner

Established Member
Heh knew it was him cos Clichy is smaller.. what is he going to do while he recovers? Light training or is he going back to Brazil again?

Mark

Established Member
I believe Wenger said Gilberto is back or going to be back in light training soon. Not sure about that one, though.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
What I read on arsenal.com is nothing about any of that.. I wonder if they will bother with sending back again as sending him back and forth must be a little unsettling :roll:

Ridge

sorry but i didnt read all the posts in this topic. may i know why wasnt Freddie even on the bench?

Sammer

Established Member
A great performance by the TEAM. Team, because I had the feeling, that finally everyone on the pitch was up for the job and showing Arsenal spirit.

What really made the difference was our midfield performance.

Again, the Ref basically pulled out cards for every foul we committed, while giving dirty c*nts like Bowyer free shots at our players.

Here´s my ratings:

Almunia - didn´t have much to do and to prove, looked solid though (6,5)

Cole - had a decent game, but still not to his best (7)

Campbell - good performance, although some passes were not too lucky (7)

Toure - see Sol (7)

Pires - looked shaky and with low confidence in the first 20 minutes, but improved vastly and made a great attacking impact afterwards 8

Flamini - I really like the way he gives 100% - he combines determination and grit with technical skill (nice assist to Bergkamp etc.) (9,5)

Viera - that´s exactly the game that we all want to see from him. He was active, tracked back, did some nice runs and showed Newcastle who the Boss is (9,5)

Reyes - great game from Jose, very active, versatile and hard to stop (only with fouls). Needs to improve on passing, and maybe he should go directly for a shot at the goal sometimes (9)

Henry - brilliant moments and very unlucky not to score. Also liked his defensive work, he tracked back, tackled and was on fire (9)

Bergkamp - simply brillant 3-touch score from Dennis - deserves a (9) just simply for that beautiful goal.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom