• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea v Arsenal | August 18, 2018 17:30 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
They have a new manager who has been there for less than a month, a broken striker without confidence and David Luiz in defense. Emery has had more time and players to prepare the team for the game. A loss here is not impossible, but it would be a big blow to the player's confidence.
I agree with everything you say but in pre season when we played Chelsea,I was struck by how good they were. Sarri is also very intense and I've always believed that an intelligent player with good agility and/or pace can be coached to play any system. Willian for example hasn't missed a beat under three managers. A lot of our players lack match smarts and that makes Emery's job more difficult.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
No room for Iwobi in place of Mkhitaryan lads or even Ramsey ? Alex gives that extra security in terms of possession .
He does but he panics at crucial moments. I doubt he's fit and it took him ages to get fit enough to move all over the pitch last season. Miki at least did some good defensive work in the last game.

lucky7

Piggybacking on some of the previous posts about playing the ball from the back, positioning etc. I noticed an interesting pattern of play that we used to play from the back. When Cech was in possession our DM's (mostly Geundouzi) dropped back to the center of the field to receive passes. Our CB's moved to wide positions, our LB and RB's moved up field and our wide forwards pinched inwards.

This put the ball into safer hands for passing the ball out rather than running the ball through Sokratis or Mustafi. It also positions our backs in a more offensive role rather than utilizing them for distribution. I think this was one factor in Geundouzi getting so many touches and passes as well.

Keplaz

He couldn't play in Championship but you would like him to play against Chelsea, away?
I didn't say that at all. Just wondering where he is as he is a natural left back and we seem to be haemorrhaging those. Not suggesting he should play against Chelsea.

IslingtonBornandbred

Piggybacking on some of the previous posts about playing the ball from the back, positioning etc. I noticed an interesting pattern of play that we used to play from the back. When Cech was in possession our DM's (mostly Geundouzi) dropped back to the center of the field to receive passes. Our CB's moved to wide positions, our LB and RB's moved up field and our wide forwards pinched inwards.

This put the ball into safer hands for passing the ball out rather than running the ball through Sokratis or Mustafi. It also positions our backs in a more offensive role rather than utilizing them for distribution. I think this was one factor in Geundouzi getting so many touches and passes as well.

Yep you are right, but that's passing out of the back 101. The goal is always to get the centre backs to split wide to create room for a DM/CM to drop deep like Busquets does to get the ball and play from there. The issue is when the opponents press high and cut off every passing angle and the team in possession is insistent on playing out from the back. It's nothing new, teams at all levels have been doing this for decades, but there's an old saying and it's if you can't play out you squeeze, push up and go long, or like Pep's done, you still keep the same positions i.e centre backs split, midfielders dropping in, but you keep your wingers high and wide, and play long and try and drop it into the winger or the forward. It's a difficult tactic to implement if the other team are ready to press because sometimes they'll set a trap, they'll let you play out and then press you.

City are a top team so we were pressed and pressurised a lot, I suspect it won't be too much of an issue going forward because we won't have that many goalkicks as we had on Sunday and I've got a feeling against Chelsea if it's not on we'll go long much quicker because it makes sense.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think it is unfortunate if we are locked into always playing it out from the back.

The long ball over the top can be very effective against a high line. We have the frontmen that can exploit it as well.

Nothing wrong with varying the way you play.

Wryer

Hazard is what makes them tick by opening up spaces.

Tempting to just put Torreira on him. But hey, tactics like that are not in fashion anymore.

Aside, my expectation for this season is to see improvement and smart changes game on game. Results are secondary, to a large extent. Hoping to see Emery try Leno in goal, maybe let Lich have a shot on the right back position. Try a 442 with Laca-Auba. Whatever. Keep trying.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
It’s pretty much a guarantee that it won’t happen but I wish we’d try this against Chelsea on Saturday.
Cech
Mustafi Mavro Sokratis
Bellerin Torreira Matteo Welbeck/Iwobi
Mesut
Laca Auba​

We’d get the most out of our front two and mesut plays in his preferred position. Bellerin receives more support against Hazard. Kola would be ideal on that LWB position but I think Welbs/iwobis defensive capabilities would be very helpful to cope with Willian on that RW.

And with Matteo and Torreira we’d have two players capable of staying in position, defend, carry the ball into space and make line breaking passes into the front three. No more of the Swiss elephant in midfield and Ramsey staying up our strikers arse for 90 min. Our build up play and defense in midfield would improve by quite a bit.

We’d also have a little bit of width on that RW and if Monreal is fit then he could provide with some more on the other wing instead of welbs/iwobi.

I think playing this way would solve a lot of problems tbh.

I was just thinking almost this exact formation would be intriguing, if unlikely as you point out. Only I had Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, and Mustafi in the back. I truly think it could work. Never happening though.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Agree with you and it worked for the most part as Guendouzi is able to handle a press and is agile enough physically and mentally to move the ball quickly and also make himself available to receive the ball back. Torreira can do this and so can Elneny- if he gets stronger. The best thing is that the ball moved forward!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think it is unfortunate if we are locked into always playing it out from the back.

The long ball over the top can be very effective against a high line. We have the frontmen that can exploit it as well.

Nothing wrong with varying the way you play.
I don't mind a long ball but it helps if your GK can find a team mate and not the touchline or an opponent.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
  • Think he’ll stay with Cech against Chelsea whilst work on Leno continues.
  • Mustafi, Sokratis
  • Nacho should be fit, would solidify our left.
  • Lichsteiner at right back to give us even more solidity in defence and maybe even some decent crosses.
  • Emery will probably choose 2 from Torreira, Xhaka and Guendouzi as we’re playing away to give us a more defensive structure. Probably leave out Guendouzi.
  • Mikhi, Ramsey Özil
  • Auba/Laca sub

pikey2000

Team news is in and both Welbeck and Monreal are back in full training - i'd throw them both in against Chelsea, Monreal to give the defense some balance and stability and Welbeck for his work rate which will help our new attempts at pressing the opposition.

I'd go with;

---------------------Auba--------------------

Welbeck------------Özil-----------Ramsey

---------------Xhaka-----Torreira---------

Monreal----Sokratis----Mustafi----Lich

---------------------Cech-------------------

Ramsey and Welbeck have deficiencies but they work hard and will improve our attempts at the high press as well as give defensive solidity down both flanks

Özil and Auba in their favoured positions

Gone for experience across the back line and GK

The team does lack creativity from the wide area's but the aim is to press the opposition into errors and capitalise, if we are drawing/losing come the second half we can inject some more creativity with the likes of Iwobi/Mhkitaryian/Nelson/Lacazette off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom