• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Reading vs Arsenal | 22/10/06

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Oh don't forget about the Reading fans before the game.

OneTrueRoyal was it?

Giving it the large.

Oh how I was looking forward to going to their gaff this season and ass whoop them.

Although even I didn't expect it to be quite so bad/ good :lol:

asajoseph

Established Member
lee1001 said:
asajoseph said:
I think RVP's performance was very much a game of two halves - in the first he played ok, but was horribly wasteful and his decision making was atrocious. He just seemed to get it wrong every single time! It seemed that he was deployed on the left wing again

Sound like anybody else we know?

I think you just summed up Reyes's Arsenal career in one paragraph.

I hope RVP does not go the same way.

Only difference is, Reyes would probably have bottled that shot too.

RVP's decision making against Reading was worse than I've ever seen it before - for Reyes, that kind of thing was pretty much standard. I'm not too worried, yet.

hellolo

asajoseph said:
lee1001 said:
asajoseph said:
I think RVP's performance was very much a game of two halves - in the first he played ok, but was horribly wasteful and his decision making was atrocious. He just seemed to get it wrong every single time! It seemed that he was deployed on the left wing again

RVP's decision making against Reading was worse than I've ever seen it before - for Reyes, that kind of thing was pretty much standard. I'm not too worried, yet.

nonsense, people saying Reyes decision making was horrible is the most exaggerated thing
Reyes had a better season than RVP last year

asajoseph

Established Member
hellolo said:
asajoseph said:
lee1001 said:
asajoseph said:

nonsense, people saying Reyes decision making was horrible is the most exaggerated thing

Robin van Persie began the year in prison and spent 3-4 months out with a broken foot. Hardly surprising.

And frankly it's not nonsense at all - even people who backed Reyes (and that includes me), recognise that for all his gifts and talent, his ability to do the right thing at the right time was awful. He was one of the most frustrating players we've ever had, because we all knew he could be great, he just spent most of the cold months of the year running up blind alleys and falling over.

asajoseph

Established Member
Sorry to continue digging up older posts, but I haven't been around for a while...

Seabass,

At the risk of both of us sounding like blind RvP fans, I think you've got this spot on. Even at the start of this season, many people were upset because Van Persie wasn't getting into dangerous positions or making the right runs. Today, he got into those positions, and made those runs.

Actually, he's been doing this all season, even in games where his overall performance has not been great. It didn't just start today, he's obviously really worked on getting himself more involved, and getting into goalscoring positions. It's been his finishing that's been letting him down more than his ability to get there in the first place.

Everything else you say is spot on...

Nemesis

lagosgooner said:
i would hope baptista is fit by the time we play bungton. i was just watching a kolo interview on youtube where he described what it was like to play against him in training

What exactly did Kolo say that has impressed you so much?

hellolo

asajoseph said:
hellolo said:
asajoseph said:
lee1001 said:
asajoseph said:

Robin van Persie began the year in prison and spent 3-4 months out with a broken foot. Hardly surprising.

And frankly it's not nonsense at all - even people who backed Reyes (and that includes me), recognise that for all his gifts and talent, his ability to do the right thing at the right time was awful. He was one of the most frustrating players we've ever had, because we all knew he could be great, he just spent most of the cold months of the year running up blind alleys and falling over.

Disagree to generalise and say Reyes decision making is horrible is an exaggeration, he provided plenty of opportunities for his teammates and just because they bottled those chances it made is contribution less than what it was. Reyes has been made a scapegoat for our poor season last year simply because his undesirable traits (homesick, being bullied etc) make him an easy target
I think he had a decent season last year, better than most of our players and he would fit better into this current side than RVP but i guess peopel have different opinions...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

hellolo said:
asajoseph said:
hellolo said:
asajoseph said:
lee1001 said:
asajoseph said:

Disagree to generalise and say Reyes decision making is horrible is an exaggeration, he provided plenty of opportunities for his teammates and just because they bottled those chances it made is contribution less than what it was. Reyes has been made a scapegoat for our poor season last year simply because his undesirable traits (homesick, being bullied etc) make him an easy target
I think he had a decent season last year, better than most of our players and he would fit better into this current side than RVP but i guess peopel have different opinions...

I had always thought rightly or wrongly that Robin made good decisions, however from what I am seeing this year it has been ****ing awful. Don't worry about where he has been playing , I am talking about when he gets into a good position with the ball and has time . My god , simple passes , shooting when he should pass , passing when he should shoot . Is it confindence ? whatever it is it can be fixed .

To say Reyes decison making was worse is absolute fallacy . Sorry but I have to say that .Based only on what I say last year he was miles ahead of RVP in said areas. No way , he made so many intelligent passes as to make this argument moot.

Nemesis

I too think that Reyes with his passing and vision would have fit into this team much better than RvP. Too bad he got homesick, he couldve been a superstar for us now he'll be doing it for madrid.

asajoseph

Established Member
You lot seem to have forgotten what Reyes was actually like - yes, on his day he was brilliant, and his decision making could, sometimes, be great. But most of the time, it wasn't. Jose Reyes was one of the most unbelievably inconsistent players we've ever had, and, however talented, he was also hugely wasteful in more games than I care to remember. Yes, he had an ability to pick out a pinpoint crossfield ball (that's the one thing Robin's been getting consistently right too so far this season), to play a superb through ball from a tight situation, and pick out his team-mates in great positions. But he didn't use it often enough - seriously, how many times in Reyes' Arsenal career did he dribble up blind alleys, at fullbacks he wasn't skillful, quick or strong enough to beat? How often did he just run aimlessly with the ball in situations where there was nothing on?

Van Persie's decision making was horrible against Reading, nobody's denying that. Has it been that bad before? No, it hasn't really. Reyes was doing that kind of thing every other week for Arsenal.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
I can see what you guys are saying about Van Persie. But we must remember that at the start of this season when we was finding it really hard to score us fans on here were going crazy about no one in the team excepting responsibility to shoot. We were always looking for the pass, usually one too many instead of just trying our luck when the chance presented itself.

It wasn't Van Persie's best game by a long shot we all know that. But lets be honest it wasn't like he was awful. Had that shot he had in the first half nestled in the back of the net then we would all be saying he made the right choice. It's a fine line. And I disagree about Reyes fitting in this team better than Van Persie, I think our squad is beniffiting from not having whining want away players like Reyes in it.

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
You lot seem to have forgotten what Reyes was actually like - yes, on his day he was brilliant, and his decision making could, sometimes, be great. But most of the time, it wasn't. Jose Reyes was one of the most unbelievably inconsistent players we've ever had, and, however talented, he was also hugely wasteful in more games than I care to remember. Yes, he had an ability to pick out a pinpoint crossfield ball (that's the one thing Robin's been getting consistently right too so far this season), to play a superb through ball from a tight situation, and pick out his team-mates in great positions. But he didn't use it often enough - seriously, how many times in Reyes' Arsenal career did he dribble up blind alleys, at fullbacks he wasn't skillful, quick or strong enough to beat? How often did he just run aimlessly with the ball in situations where there was nothing on?

Van Persie's decision making was horrible against Reading, nobody's denying that. Has it been that bad before? No, it hasn't really. Reyes was doing that kind of thing every other week for Arsenal.

in terms of vision, passing skill and stamina reyes is on a different level than rvp. as such, on paper, he is far better suited to the way we play than rvp...

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Beg to differ, better stamina yes. but Robin makes up for that by a better match mentality (will not get bullied out of a match, wants to win more than reyes does). Passing skill & vision on a different level no way (yes based on Robin's crap performances on the left side, in general no)

asajoseph

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
asajoseph said:

in terms of vision, passing skill and stamina reyes is on a different level than rvp. as such, on paper, he is far better suited to the way we play than rvp...

Not really, he's far better suited to the particular style that you want us to play. Whether or not that's the same thing that Wenger's working for at the moment is another matter. We've disagreed about this sort of thing too many times in the past, for me to really care to go into it again. You know why I never wanted Reyes as a striker, I don't need to repeat it.

Regardless, none of the skills you mention are remotely at issue.

kel varnsen

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
Beg to differ, better stamina yes. but Robin makes up for that by a better match mentality (will not get bullied out of a match, wants to win more than reyes does). Passing skill & vision on a different level no way (yes based on Robin's crap performances on the left side, in general no)

oh, come on. rvp is a talented player, but in terms of passing skill and vision he is nowhere near reyes' level. in all of van persie's time here, how many assists does he have? how many times have he sent others clean through on goal?

this is, imo, van persie's biggest weakness and it is also why i sometimes wonder if he'll even make it here. i doubt his movement off the ball and passing skill is good enough. simply put, he doesn't link up well enough with the other players. i for one would love to replace van persie with someone like robinho...

btw, i think van persie will leave next summer. wenger will continue to play him out on the left wing and van persie will continue to struggle.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
kel varnsen said:
leonardo santiago said:

oh, come on. rvp is a talented player, but in terms of passing skill and vision he is nowhere near reyes' level. in all of van persie's time here, how many assists does he have? how many times have he sent others clean through on goal?

this is, imo, van persie's biggest weakness and it is also why i sometimes wonder if he'll even make it here. i doubt his movement off the ball and passing skill is good enough. simply put, he doesn't link up well enough with the other players. i for one would love to replace van persie with someone like robinho...

btw, i think van persie will leave next summer. wenger will continue to play him out on the left wing and van persie will continue to struggle.
Well I'm with Cruyff and van Gaal, who both say his vision and passing skill are worldclass as he regularly shows for Holland.

If Wenger indeed continues to play him from the left, that could be the end of him at the Arsenal. But that would have been caused by playing him in the wrong position.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Van Persie has fantastic vision but his passing ability is nowhere near Reyes tbh. In terms of passing Reyes was the best winger in the premiership at it and was the top assister last season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

When I talk about RVP's decision making , his passing and his vision it has nothing to do with what position he plays . Each time he has had space , time and sometimes in the final third and I just think 'he going to do something here' and then he makes the worst possible decision and you just think wtf?

The thing is I never noticed this last season or the season before . Usually whatever he did , he did well.

hoyden

I think passing is more important for wingers than it is for strikers. I'm not saying that that's OK for a striker if he can't pass. But excellent passing ability is a bonus IMO. Anyway, my point is, RVP's passing and vision are OK if he plays as a striker. But he definitely should improve his passing if Wenger keeps playing him as a winger.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom