• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wigan Athletic vs Arsenal | 13/12/06

morpho

Established Member
go49oner said:
People were moaning we couldn't win ugly, and now we win ugly people still moan.

Spot on, mate! Some people, gooners in particular it might seem, will never be satisfied no matter what... a shame realy, but i guess that comes with beeing spoiled brats

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
morpho said:
go49oner said:
People were moaning we couldn't win ugly, and now we win ugly people still moan.

Spot on, mate! Some people, gooners in particular it might seem, will never be satisfied no matter what... a shame realy, but i guess that comes with beeing spoiled brats
well, to be fair, we shouldn't have to win ugly against a team like Wigan... but credit to the lads, they won the match when it looked like they wouldnt..

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
USArsenal said:
morpho said:
go49oner said:

well, to be fair, we shouldn't have to win ugly against a team like Wigan... but credit to the lads, they won the match when it looked like they wouldnt..
that's how good runs start.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Good if unimpressive performance, we didn't try too hard, but the end was result was was mattered on this occasion. Our defence is really disapointing me at the moment though still. If there were any doubts, we are NOT going to win the league this season, we give away far too many chances at the back, and don't complete enough up front. But where are strikers seem to be moving upwards in terms of performance, our defence seems to be degenerating; is this because of Gallas' absence? Maybe, but it is something that has to be sorted out before next season if we want to challenge Maure and Chav Town. You can point out for as long as you like that minus Gallas, our defence is young (ie give them a chance) but if they are meant to be our first choice then they need to perform regardless of their age. It seems to be a case of concentration/organisation usually caused by inexperience; hopefully Gallas and Gilberto can help us out here then. The fill-ins today (Flams, Theo, Baps) were interesting today. The team didn't seem to gel, we clearly need this season (possibly more) to connect as a squad; that connection was certainly not their today, too many times the balls weren't played into the right areas for the player in question, this is about building a raport and connections between all players in the squad. Having said thism, I thought Flams showed real promise in the first half, showing some classy touches on the ball, he looked controlled not panicked. He died down in the second half but he's making me think he may have a future here that he's not entirely useless. I have seen him with creative ability and although it may not be his forte he CAN contribute in attack and to become a player he needs to concentrate on this. Pleased with Ade, he's showing signs of real improvement and I think he can be relied on in attack now as a lone striker. He looked positive, (rather than lost) today (or was it just me) and where I thought he would never have a future as a 'loner' I believe he is gradually proving me wrong.

Not this season, maybe next season, there is certainly room (and potential) for some serious improvement.

AFCFan4Ever

Gurgen said:
For all the flak Baptista has been getting, I think he has been the only free role midfielder this season who has been able to give that 4-5-1 a bit of flair. He was moving very well at times and actually made it look like a half decent formation.

Agreed, I don't know what game some people were watching.

For me, he was our most dangerous player until he came off. He was the only player in the first half that looked remotely likely to score and improved in the 2nd half...he looked a lot more dangerous than Adebayor.

Granted his passing and timing could be better but I think that'll improve with time...the signs are definitely there. He CAN add a lot of good things to our side, no doubt in my mind.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
AFCFan4Ever said:
Gurgen said:
For all the flak Baptista has been getting, I think he has been the only free role midfielder this season who has been able to give that 4-5-1 a bit of flair. He was moving very well at times and actually made it look like a half decent formation.

Agreed, I don't know what game some people were watching.

For me, he was our most dangerous player until he came off. He was the only player in the first half that looked remotely likely to score and improved in the 2nd half...he looked a lot more dangerous than Adebayor.

Granted his passing and timing could be better but I think that'll improve with time...the signs are definitely there. He CAN add a lot of good things to our side, no doubt in my mind.

I'd personally like to see him make more runs past Ade into the box rather than skulking around behind him. He showed potential today, but I don't feel he has truly clicked with the rest of the team.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
First half was as bad a performance as I can remember.

Much better in the second half.

Thought Kolo and Clichy were our standout players, good signs from Theo second half aswell. Baptista - he is the most unbeastly beast I have ever seen. Needs games, but cant see him getting them.

True comments about the Wigan fans, the most small time and pathetic bunch in England. Hope they get relegated soon and be replaced by a proper team like Leeds or Forest.

lee1001

Established Member
sparky44 said:
I enjoyed adebayors goal tonight just as much as his goal at old trafford. Its these results that I enjoy oh so much.

The ability to not play at your best but still get the points its fundamental to any serious contender looking to win the premiership. If only we had just hang in there longer than we did when it got ugly against fulham, bolton amd last season etc. Oh well I guess that comes with experience, and at least these guys have shown that when the stage is set that these guys will go and preform.

QFT!

Great post.

Chelsea often rely on a single goal to nick a point, often with the help of a lampard defelction or two. As you said its getting the points when your playing badly which wins you silverware.

Its just unfortunate that we have been spoiled by breathtaking football for ****ing years and now we are struggling to play that style of football everyone is ripping the team and Wenger every week.

Again, as you said, experience will help this team gain consistency.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just back from the game. Very poor display in the first half. Jewell used bi=ulky Heskey to to attack Eboue while using Camara attacked Clichy. There were some nervy moments, specially in our own backyard. I begin to worry for the team. Without Cesc, this team suddently had no brain. In the first few miniutes, I just saw the ball stuck in the area where Freddie and Gael were in and under heavy pressure from Wigan. Yet no Arsenal player thinked about to swtich the ball to the other side (where Theo was on). Eboue was very nervious and constantly looking for Cesc when he recovered the ball. The problem was, Cesc was not there. :( Maybe Wenger should consider to let someone to play in Cesc position so the boy can have a rest. Rosicky is the only one in the team to do Cesc's job but the Czech has to cut some of his personal show. What makes Cesc amazing is his speed of thought and technical execusion. I think Rosicky has both but he needs to learn how adapt himself.

Although Ade scored the winning goal, he didn't convert four previous chances (which should be easy). IMO Ade somehow didn't have that explosive acceleration to be a half second ahead of opponent defenders closing in. This was also complicated by the fact that his first touch were often careless.

Julio looked still trying to find his feet. His on-ball movement appeared quite slow for me and I don't think it'd take a Canavaro to read his intention. Hopefully that Julio will fit in the team and the nature of Premiership game soon.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
tactica442 said:
Just back from the game. Very poor display in the first half. Jewell used bi=ulky Heskey to to attack Eboue while using Camara attacked Clichy. There were some nervy moments, specially in our own backyard. I begin to worry for the team. Without Cesc, this team suddently had no brain. In the first few miniutes, I just saw the ball stuck in the area where Freddie and Gael were in and under heavy pressure from Wigan. Yet no Arsenal player thinked about to swtich the ball to the other side (where Theo was on). Eboue was very nervious and constantly looking for Cesc when he recovered the ball. The problem was, Cesc was not there. :( Maybe Wenger should consider to let someone to play in Cesc position so the boy can have a rest. Rosicky is the only one in the team to do Cesc's job but the Czech has to cut some of his personal show. What makes Cesc amazing is his speed of thought and technical execusion. I think Rosicky has both but he needs to learn how adapt himself.

Although Ade scored the winning goal, he didn't convert four previous chances (which should be easy). IMO Ade somehow didn't have that explosive acceleration to be a half second ahead of opponent defenders closing in. This was also complicated by the fact that his first touch were often careless.

Julio looked still trying to find his feet. His on-ball movement appeared quite slow for me and I don't think it'd take a Canavaro to read his intention. Hopefully that Julio will fit in the team and the nature of Premiership game soon.

Good analysis mate!!

marco

to ne honest at half time i wanted the thing to end.. ****ing abysmal though special mention to the pies in wigan very nice and well priced( 1.70- are you listening emirates??)

Vital to get the win though and the way we did it made it all the more exciting..
i thought our full backs were poor today to be honest,
baptista put a lovely ball through to walcott but that was about it from him.

Special mention to emile heskey though for spending most of the first half on his arse and then with the best chance of the game fluffing it soo much it made the whole journey worthwhile.
he really is a useless ****...

adebayor adebayor...
we need to win ugly at times and tonight we have done it so am happy...

p.s worst fans i have ever heard in my life..our end poor first half though wouldnt you be given what was on show then picked up a bit towards the end

JazzG

Established Member
Terrible first half but good second half. Good to see Ade score another goal for us and good to see Theo and Baptista get some minutes. We rode our luck at times and I thought creatively our midfield was poor but it is the win that counts. Clichy and Toure were good, with Toure it is expected but really pleased to see Clichy starting to come good again.

A lot of flack being thrown at Baptista but like I said many weeks ago too many people had unreal expectations of him. They seemed to think he was gonna single handily turn the season around or something. Every play who comes from another country needs a minimum of 6 months to settle in before they start to get going imo. The thing I looked out for were his runs and he is still making a few of them and wasn't getting picked up and that is a positive. It will take time for him to get confidence up and most importantly get match fit, he looked very rusty out there today and that is because he hardly got games for R.Madrid and has hardly played for us. Some people are being far too harsh imo. Due to the lack of creative players in our midfield I felt too much of the ball was given to him deep and that doesn't suit his game imo, I think he should play upfront or in a very advanced midfield role with a playmaker behind him so he doesn't need to worry with that. Sheva was rated higher than Henry by many but looks completely lost in this league, he will come good and so will Baptista imo.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think the difference between two halves was long ball and deep passes. In the first half the passes were more sideway rather than forward. In the second half Kolo started to play long balls behind Wigan defenders and our midfielders did some deep/angled passes.

Nutsy

Established Member
Didn't watch the game, as the TV aint showing it live and no repeats either. and the streams doesn't seem to work on my connection because it's too slow!

so, i don't know much what happen to the game but i am content with the win, from Fabregas assisting Ade to score, seems to me Ade saved our arses. and securing 3 points, 3rd place with the last minute goal.

known a fact that Cesc didn't start, and we barely had any chances, i guess, no Cesc, a very different game is played = Fulham game proved that aswell.. it's amazing how the 19 year old has so much impact on the squad.

however. need to win more on the Upcoming games, two seemingly hard fixtures; Pompey (H) the Blackburn(H), and still without the main men. if the squad we have now can still win the next few games, then we're pretty much capable of everything, not necessarily to win the title this season, Man Ure's pretty up there basking in their glory, (but hey, i'm staying on the fact that, what goes up, always comes down). i'd still be frank, we COULD finish 2nd, but more possiblity on 3rd place which is more than i can ask for, although, i am still hoping & praying for the title.

well done boys. well done. let's win the next game! :clap

GlasGreenGunner

Thought the game was pretty porr for the most part.
With Walcott being the brightest thing about it from an Arsenal point of view.

Thought Baptista and Freddie were pretty well off the pace.

Good goal though and thoroughly deserved for the improvement in the second half.
Though Gary McAllister's commentary is crap.
How he can say that Cesc's challenge was a definate foul is beyond me.
Worst co-commentator apart from Tony Gale and Jim Beglin.

brady

First half we were a little tentative. Walcott was a case in point. He was more positive in the second half and created the best chance. I think the criticism of the starting 11 is a little unfair. Sometimes it works like that. They battle and wear down the opposition so that Cesc can come in and do his stuff and then it looks as if he is a genius - well he is but it's not all down to him.. Why did Wigan lose concentration? Because the starters did their job. I am however worried about the defence especially eboue and even toure. sometimes you just have to hoof it rather than trying to pass your way out of defence and getting caught in possession or making a poor pass. We won't be so lucky every time.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom