• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - FA: Bolton Wanderers vs Arsenal | 14/02/07

ronitc

Gunner4Eva said:
Timleaf said:
Does anyone have an opinion on why Djourou was playing and not Hoyte? Just resting him or was it tactical? I can see Wenger possibly wanting 3 defenders who are good in the air-Bert, Kolo and Djourou.

Btw, I've only been to 2 games this season so I'm not sure, but has anyone coined a decent nick name for Djourou? I'm never sure if I'm spelling it right cos I've seen it spelled so many different ways.

I personally think it is because Djourou is much better in the air than Hoyte.

not difficult to surmise when you see gilberto playing in the back. wonder why so many were mystified by his selection...clear as day why djourou played over hoyte.

Gort

Christofaux said:
[snipped]
Second half Bolton center midfield was all over ours.

Sorry to hear that you missed the game. Although Bolton did play a bit better in the second half and we didn't seem as effective in the second as in the first, we still outplayed them in the second. We had quite a few chances to extend our lead in the second half, while they had only a couple, one of which they scored from. I'd say we outplayed them in both halves and in extra time. The first half was exceptional, bar the misses, so maybe that clouded your judgement.

Christofaux

i guess it could have been that i was expecting more of the same dominance in the second and it wasnt there. But i thought Stelios had the run of the CM for most of the second half that he was on. From memory did many of our chances come from denilson diaby in the second half? It seemed alot of the second half was our wings on the counter.

gstew

Almunia - 8.5 Excellent

Djourou - 7 Grading on a curve because he was in a new position.

Toure - 7.5 He was so physical. He collided with Bolton players all over the field and knocked them over.

Gilberto - 8.5 Grading on a curve because he was in a new position. If not for the PK miss he would be 9.5..

Clichy - 9.5 He does it again. His level right now meets or exceeds the best that AHole used to give us.

Denilson - 9.5 He will become a great player. He has everything physically and technically, but his decisionmaking is what has me excited. I now can feel comfortable when Cesc is injured or has a rest. I will pull my hair out if Wenger continues to play Flamini ahead of him.

Diaby - 7.5 Was very physical and just exudes talent. Decisionmaking is not yet up to speed, but everything else is top notch. I will pull my hair out if Wenger continues to play Flamini ahead of him.

Hleb - 9.999999 If not for a few mistakes, I would have given him a 10. I have only seen one player control the ball like Hleb did tonight....Zidane. Breathtaking stuff. We really needed him back.

Rosicky - 9.5 Great game!!! Had a huge impact.

Baptista - 3.5 Should have scored at least four times. Was a serial killer of many of our attacks. If not for earning the penalty, he would have gotten a 2.5. His nickname is just plain wrong. Kolo, Diaby and Ade are beasts. Julio really isn't that physical at all.

Adebayor - 9 His power, energy and guile make for a potent player. I still can't understand how it was possible for him to get a bad reputation at Monaco.

Freddie - 8 A truly world class finish.....everything else was below average.

Aliadiere - 8.5 He should move up the pecking order for both winger and striker. I would put him as first striker and first winger off the bench (ahead of Baptista and Ljungberg). He has earned it. I will pull my hair out if Wenger continues to play Walcott ahead of him.

Overall, this was such an exciting performance. The movement, the passing, the artistry, the power, the pace, the fight. I watched the whole game thinking how lucky I am to be an Arsenal fan. I am not frustrated at all by the final score...even though we should have won 5-1. This exceeds the Reading game for sheer enjoyment. Partly because I think Bolton played very well. They probably played to the best of their abilities and still were completely overrun. I have to say that Anelka was absolutely immense, Diouf was perpetually dangerous and both Gardner and Meite were excellent. I could watch a game like that every day for the rest of my life.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Re: Bolton - Arsenal FA Cup - player ratings

kel varnsen said:
diaby - 6. some good moves, but disappeared too often in the match and went completely awol at times. tactically poor as well at times, but obviously very talented and has the ability to drive past defenders.

really, that statement could summarise his performances for us since hes been here. the talent is there, but my god, where does he go for 15 here and there??

Gryphon

Clichy - 9.5 He does it again. His level right now meets or exceeds the best that AHole used to give us.

Denilson - 9.5 He will become a great player. He has everything physically and technically, but his decisionmaking is what has me excited. I now can feel comfortable when Cesc is injured or has a rest. I will pull my hair out if Wenger continues to play Flamini ahead of him.

Hleb - 9.999999 If not for a few mistakes, I would have given him a 10. I have only seen one player control the ball like Hleb did tonight....Zidane. Breathtaking stuff. We really needed him back.

Rosicky - 9.5 Great game!!! Had a huge impact.

Love the comparisions, espicially Hlebs - 8)
Were they really that good ? I missed the match, dmait, fell asleep as the teams walked out on the pitch at the beginning ~ you dont know how annoying that is ! :x

Sammer

Established Member
Re: Bolton - Arsenal FA Cup - player ratings

kel varnsen said:
almunia - 7,5. solid.

djourou - 5,5. decent, but offered very little going forward.

toure - 7,5. solid.

gilberto - 8. composed and very solid. good game.

clichy - 8,5. very good game. great defensively and great going forward. developing into a top class left back.

hleb - 9. MOM. Out-f****g-standing. on the ball he was in a league of his own. the ball was stuck to his feet. brilliant, just brilliant!

denilson - 8. i thought he was excelent tonight. agressive, excelent on and off the ball and great passing. superb.

diaby - 6. some good moves, but disappeared too often in the match and went completely awol at times. tactically poor as well at times, but obviously very talented and has the ability to drive past defenders.

rosicky - 8,5. another excelent performance i thought.

baptista - 3. sorry, but close to god awful. poor passing, poor touch, missed a penalty and a couple of good chances. looked like he struggled with the pace of our passing game.

ade - 8,5. excelent job as a target man. held on to the ball superbly, scored a good goal and worked tirelessly. great game.

ali - 7,5. excelent. easy to see why wenger rates him.

ljungberg - 5. piss poor, but scored a great goal.

Nothing more to ad. Those ratings are spot on, Kel.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Aluminia - 7.5 Played well not really to blame for the goal.

Clichy - 9 outstanding all I can say is.....Cashly who?

Gilberto - 7 solid game, pity about the pen.

Toure - 6 sloppy game by his hight standards some anxious moments.

Djourou - 5.5 like a duck out of water got robbed again and again very shaky.

Rosicky - 8.5 Excellent first half, slowed down somewhat in the second half.
Diaby - 6. showed determination, some good skills but sloppy passing though.

Denilson - 8 this lad is a class player, expect great things from him in the future.

Hleb - 9 excellent performance .

Baptista - 5 not one of his best.

Adebayor - 7.5 his work rate is phenomenal however, he must improve finishing.

Ljungberg - 6 He didn't contribute a lot but scored a vital goal. great finish.

Aliadiere - 7 This lad stretched Bolton's defense, excellent run and assist.
Hoyte 5 didn't see much of him be glad when when the Actor is back.

:D

Gurgen

Established Member
Almunia 8 - Did well when he had to make a save.

Djourou 6 - Has to improve his positioning. Not his natural position though so I'll give him a break.

Toure 7 - Got sloppy in the second half but improved a lot in extra time. Excellent in the first half as well.

Gilberto 6 - A point deducted for that penalty miss. Is it that hard to hit the target?

Clichy 8 - Outstanding once again. Attitude spot on as well.

Heb 9 - Magical player. When he is direct like in the first half he can dribble past anyone. When he tired we got worse.

Denilson 8 - Pace was a bit too much for him in the second half but his extra time performance was out of this world.

Diaby 7 - Got better as the game progressed, something I didn't expect. In and out of the game but you can say the same of Denilson.

Rosicky 8 - Very good driving forward and worked his arse off again. Now let's hope he can stay fit.

Baptista 5 - See Gilberto. Wasted a lot of promising situations but showed class as well. After all he did win a pen and get Ben Haim sent off. He offers something to the team even when not playing well.

Adebayor 9 - The less said about that miss the better, but apart from that he was outstanding. Well done you crazy dancing Togoan!

Subs:

Freddie 6 - Afwul but scored a great goal that seemd to lift him. If only he wouldn't get injured again.

Aliadiere 8 - Excellent performance. Dribbled past people with ease. Closest thing to a young Henry in the squad.

Hoyte 7 - Solid.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I couldn't see the extra time, so I will base my ratings only at regular time

Almunia - 7,5 A very solid performance.
The first time I liked him there

Djourou - 6 I was worried to see him marking Anelka yet he made some good clearances

Toure - 7,5. King Kolo is the one and only

Gilberto - 7 A good defensive display, but it proved last night that he is not a good penalty taker. In my opinion Rosicky could be a good penalty shooter.

Clichy - 8.5 Ashley Who? Outstanding performance

Hleb - 8.5 A very good comeback from injury

Denilson - 8 Cesc's shadow starting to show up.

Diaby - 7. A solid performance

Rosicky - 8,5. Great great display. A true master.

Baptista - 5. It was not his night. He wasted so many chances and his ball possesion must improve.

Ade - 9 my MOTM. Excellent job on and off the ball. Wreaked havoc at Bolton's side all around.

M+D

Established Member
Manuel Almunia - 7.5
Great again, solid, made a good save at feet of Stelios and another off a deflected header from Diaby.

Johan Djourou - 5.5
One on one he was very shaky, much too big to turn quick enough. No attacking play whatsoever. Out of position though and was good at defending set pieces.

Gael Clichy - 8.5
Brilliant imo. Has the potential to be better than Ashley Cole, and didn't ever look tired, not once! Nobody got past him all night, and the pace he used at one stage against Campo was nothing short of incredible.

Kolo Toure - 7
Lost the ball easily on a couple of occasions when he shouldn't have, his free kick was worse than terrible, but other than that solid as ever.

Gilberto - 8
So, so calm. But he did miss a penalty, and he hit the post at the wrong end, so no 8.5 for him. Assured and very comfortable, and made a great lunging block after Stelios had hit the crossbar.

Aliaksandr Hleb - 9.5
I'm trying to think of a word better than brilliant! A sublime, great, excellent, out of this world performance from Hleb in the first half in particular. He must be the best dribbler in our team, which is saying something. Terrorised their left side with ease.

Tomas Rosicky - 8
Very good game once again, albeit outshone by Hleb. Quick passing and thinking got himself out of many tight corners. Tracking back he was also great.

Abou Diaby - 7.5
A rock, but a inconsistent rock at that. Some moments of great promise, his stamina was great for someone who is only 20 and just back from an awful injury. Decision making let him down at times, but his dribbling is far better than i believed.

Denilson - 8
Great performance once again. Comfortable in possession and wasn't ruffled by the thugs that Bolton fans believe are midfielders. Whole hearted performance, but was very, very tired and went missing by the end and so "only" gets an 8.

Julio Baptista - 6
Not as bad as everyone is making out. However, he still lost the ball too many times and his finishing was way below standard compared to what he is normally like.

Emmanuel Adebayor - 8.5
Brilliant effort once again. Wenger IS a genius. I was writing him off all last season, and was praying that Wenger would change his mind and sell him last summer. But throughout this season he has changed my opinion of him greatly and I am now a big fan of his.

Subs:

Freddie Ljungberg - 6
Got the winning goal. But that's all he did. Not the Freddie who was my favourite Arsenal player at one stage. It's sad to see that his brain still works, but his pace and all of his other main attributes have dwindled miserably.

Jeremie Aliadiere - 8
His pace is great, and his vision and trickery are good as well. Made a huge impact when he came on, and the shattered Bolton players may as well have just stood still.

Justin Hoyte - 7
Tbh, didn't have anything to do at any stage, but he kept Boltons left side quiet, and that's all he really needed to do.

stuart

Established Member
Almunia -7- Solid, did well i thought

Djourou-6- Obviously not his favourite position, i thought he came into the centre to much and didn't give anything in attack but won a few challenges i suppose
Toure-6.5- Decent but shaky at times
Gilberto-7- Missed penalty but he really looked like a CB, he played well. Don't lose heart Bert!
Clichy-8.5- Well, well, well! What a player! Amazing in attack espescially

Hleb-9- Brilliant, ball glued to his feet, got out of everything when he looked trapped, just superb all round
Denilson-7.5- Really good game but really tired late on, a few sloppy passes but was excellent on the whole
Diaby-7.5- I was actually really impressed with him, very strong and committed in the tackle, don't know how many times he knocked their boys off the ball! A few stray passes too
Rosicky-7- Very good in the first half

Baptista-5- Not his night. Did everything right until the key moment i.e; shooting, passing
Adebayor-7.5- Played really well, scored twice, lets forget about the one he missed on purpose eh! :lol:

Aliadiere-7.5- Brilliant, this might be a high rating but in the end i felt he made the difference
Ljunberg-7- Scored a great goal. He did nothing else but he was coming back from a long injury into a very fast game so you can forgive him!
Hoyte-6- Did nothing wrong, didn't really do anything full stop

kanooo

Normally, I don't rate often but here goes.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the full marks),

Rosicky 9
Hleb 9
Rosicky and Hleb (as often) are excellent. The only thing these guys are needing are goals. For this alone, I'd deduct one point each from them.

Denilson 8
Denilson is a wonderful little kid. I noticed him looking like a midget when he was standing beside Wenger. But still, he can ride tackles and contributed a lot in the center.

I'd give everyone else a 7 each.

Adebayor did enough to get 7 with his 2 goals but still he managed to miss some chances including hitting the post with the goalie beaten.

Ljungberg also look a bit unfit (understandable after being injured for so long). After he came on, our tempo seemed to slowed down. Still, I'd give him a 7 still for getting the winner.

Gilberto did well enough in defence although he missed a penalty. Didn't think he'd play in defence in the first place. I didn't see that coming from Wenger. He did quite ok there.

Maybe a 6 for Baptista. He seemed to be the odd one out who didn't perform. Missed some chances and a penalty.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Almunia 7

Djourou 6
Toure 6
Gilberto 7
Clichy 7
Diaby 7
Denilson 8
Rosicky 8
Hleb 8
Adebayor 8
Baptista 5

Aliadiere 7
Hoyte 6
Ljungberg 7

IBL

Established Member
Probably the first time I've agreed with all of Kel's ratings and analysis, maybe just bump up Diaby and Djourou's ratings half a point

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Almunia - 7 - Solid. Typical Almunia. :thumbup:

Djourou - 6 - OK but with some nervous moments. Consider him being moved to RB, Djourou obviously tok time to settle himself.
However, I think he needs to improve his lateral movement. Sometimes he could easily whack the ball which just bounced off Anelka, but he hesitated and let that moment past.
Perhaps he was afraid of being skined but given some of the situations he needed not to worry. His passing touches were abit wired too. He didn't hit the sweet spot of the ball as neatly as he should and the ball was literally bouncing when rolling to other players like Kolo. I know Anelka is difficult to handle for any Premiership defender. If Bolton's pitch condition was worse, Djourou's back pass could have got caught by opponent strikers. Yet I heard news that Djourou got a kncok on his legs so maybe that's why he didn't pass well.

Kolo - 7 - solid. I begin worry for him as he has played two games every week since November. When will Gallas come back?

Gilberto - 7 - very solid as a makeshift centerback.

Clichy - 8 - very solid and never being intimidated by Bolton players. Showed great composure facing diving tw*t like Diouf and did not fall for opponent's invitations of tackling.

Helb - 7 - Arsenal's 'Zinedine' :D , despite some nearly suicidal passes around Arsenal's box.

Denilson - 8 - never afraid of putting his foot in and stringed the team's passes very well.

Diaby - 7 - Given him just back from career-threatening injury two months ago, Diaby looks more and more promising. He will be superb if he can put the weight of passes more properly.

Rosicky - 9 - absolutely excellent performance from him. He may not score like Pires but his defensive commitment was amazing. Also Tomas and Clichy could form a Pires-Cole partnership which has been missing for two seasons. Rosisky seemed run faster on the ball than off the ball.

Adebayor - 7 - worked very very hard off the ball and scored an early, vital goal.

Baptista - 5.5 - very poor I must say. I think he tried too hard in some occasions. Baptista relied on his right foot too much and became predictable for Bolton defenders. He should've just tried snapshot with his left foot and perhaps he would have score a deflection like Ade. On the penalty he missed, Julio looked very determined but also a little rigid. His finished pose was not right either. His body looked like attempting to feint to shoot the right side but actually shot to the middle or left. Yet he twisted his waist so hard and swung his foot in full force so the ball just flied over the bar. Yet I was happy to see Julio's setup for Ade. I don't regard Baptista's pass to Ade to tap in as a weak sign or lack of confidence. Actually I think that was a very nice reply to his striking partner. Baptista has a usualy move to turn the ball and his body with one first touch at the same time. But his attempts failed so often even Bolton players were not very close on his back. I don't know what his problem is, to my surprise as a Brazilian player his feet are not that quick. Perhaps it would take a preseason to condition Julio but that will largely depend on whether he will stay on permanemt basis. Although Julio is 26, I still reckon he can learn new tricks (if anyone has watched how Thomas Haessler scored from FK in Euro92 must know what I mean). But again whether he will stay is to be seen, as his stay is complaicated with the swap loan of Reyes.

Sub:
Aliadiere - 7 - drifting around and caused great problem for Bolton tired defense. Set up a cricual goal for Fredie.

Hoyte - 6 - came up for Djourou as Anelka seemded sniffing something on the young Swiss. Justin did OK consider Fredie offered little help to him in the beginning.

Fredidie - 7 - Contributed very liitle both attakcingadn defendingwise when came in as a substitute. But after the rubbing treatment from Gary's magic hands, Freddie was a different player in extra time. The timing of his run and the way he was very very good. Hope he would offer more for the team.

On the Ade's early goal, it's amazing to see how the team can play the ball forward in such long length and in such short window of times with so many passes. From the moment Hleb got out of Anleka ( 12"11 ) to Ade's final shot ( 12'28 ), it took 17 seconds and 20 touches from the team and the ball was rolled almost two-third of the pitch. What's more surpirsing is from Hleb releasing the ball (12"19) to forward surging Denilson until Ade's shot ( 12"28 ), it just took 9 seconds yet within such short time the team directed the ball with 13 touches! In light the recent friendly between England and Spain, TBH I can't help wondering how many Englash internationals are capable of participating in this sort of high-speed buildup.

ronitc

if you think that's quick you've forgotten how quick our counter attacks were 4 years ago.

vieira -> bergkamp/pires -> henry = goal

5 touches 10 seconds..

Soler

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Gilberto 6 - A point deducted for that penalty miss. Is it that hard to hit the target?

I don't even know how you can shank a penalty that badly.

The ball is on the ground. It's not moving. All you have to do is kick it like you'd do thousands of times during a match, there's no real art to taking a penalty.

How the hell can you miss that badly!?

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom