• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Everton | 18/10/08

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Re: Arsenal Vs Everton player rating

Shadow Moses said:
AnthonyG said:
Shadow Moses said:
Song, Kolo, Silvestre - 4. They never once looked in control. They didn't win a single header. Shocking.
Absolute rubbish, I'm not saying they were great, but Silvestre himself won several.
Don't bother replying if you can't spot an obvious overstatment. He may have won 3 of 10 headers but the collective performance was extremely poor. They switched off several times and never looked in control. It's nothing to be proud of when the opposition player (Fellaini) wins enough headers to make the defense uncomfortable.
Then make yourself clear; it's not my fault.

Silvestre certainly did a better job than Gallas has done in the air. We all know that Everton and their players are good in the air and they showed that today. We had more trouble along the ground today and with whatever was launched down the right side in the first half.

asajoseph

Established Member

Go with GaelForce22's ratings - but I'd switch Toure and Silvestre around. Thought the latter got beaten too easily.

Edit: I'd peg Eboue down a mark too - thought he was ok in the 2nd, but he was plumbing the depths of last season in the first. Wenger's having a ****ing laugh with this guy.

Lukazan

Established Member

Almunia 6
Song 5
Silvestre 5
Toure 5
Clichy 7
Eboue 6
Fabregas 5
Denilson 3 Not good enough.
Nasri 7
Adebayor 5
Vpersie 6

Theo 7
Diaby 6

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Almunia - 6
Song - 4 - played out of position and looked shaky in the first half. The channel on the right was almost non-existent because the lack of connection between him and Eboue.
Kolo - 5 - Should be blamed for the concoded goal. Had he gone out to challenge and applied immediate pressure to the pass made to the assistnat player, the assistant Everton player wouldn't have that time ans space to deliver the final ball. Kolo didn't get the ball, the assisting player, and the scorer. Phew. Indeed Song was slow to recover his position but a veteran like Kolo should've know better how to deal with that situation. Afterwards, his ball hoofing in the first half didn't help the team to regain possession.
Silverstre - 5 - struggled. Not quick enough with his immediate pressure. The backline was dropped too deep and allowed Fallani and Arteta donig the clever movements. And that lost yards of space had to be recovered by Denilson and Cesc. Kinda reminded me how well Gallas did in this aspect. I hope this is just a match fitness problem, not Silvestre is slumping his level onwards.
Clichy - 8 - MotM!
Denilson - 5 - Really struggled to contrain Fellani. The belgium player was given too much time for his first touch and pass spreading.
Cesc - 6 - tried hard but not as effective as I'd like to see.
Nasri - 7 - Didn't connect with Clichy well in the first half but got better. His goal changed the momemtum and let Everton thiniking about keeping one away point, which the Toffees failed in the end.
Eboue - 6 - Just ok. Maybe he could've done more on the right but the problem is no ball was fed to him in the channel and lack of supports from others (eg Song, Denilson).
RvP - 6 - wasted loads of chances. Forunately he scored. The skyrocketing shot from his right foot 10 yards from the goal was quite baffling. It appeared that he wanted to hit the ball into the top net ... with his lesser foot. Not very clinical throughout the game.
Ade - 4 - looked tired and frankly quite wasteful.

Theo - 7 - reliven the team's attacking play on the right and quite stretched Everton's defense.
Diaby - 6 - looked like regaining his fitness by constanly backward and sideway passes. Quite surprising to see he made an assist. Credit to him.

Wenger - 6 - I don't understand why placing a slow defender as RB. Wenger made the same errors with Senderos against Rover and now almost cost the team three-points today. Fortunately he made a swift decision in getting Theo on in the second half. Or maybe I should say, thanks to Kolo's shoulder problem which prompted Wenger's decision? In the first half, the team really lacked supporting the teammate with the ball when attacking. This left the player in possession only one or two passing options and constanly outnumbered zone-wise. The midfield did much better in the second half and the backfour did push up to alleviate the problem.

raidersoftheark

Established Member

I agree with the consensus here, but I did think that Silvestre had a good game. He wasn't quite great, but he looks to be the best defender we have in the air.

DOUBLE-YOU

almunia 6 - done his job

song 6 - not a good first half but was steady in the second
silvestre 7 - at last, someone who attacks the ball
toure 6 - he tried
clichy 8 - awesome. he showed hunger and set our tempo

(a bit disturbed with our defence today. at no stage was there any shape.)

eboue 6.5 - didn't work in midfield. better second half at right back
cesc 7 - wasn't outstanding but he had a good game. always involved.
denilson 6.5 - he was quiet today. it looked like he was more withdrawn to enable cesc to play.
nasri 7 - good second half with nice touches. never gave the ball away

aebayor 5 - constantly offside and didn't get involved enough
RvP 7 - yes he missed 2 good chances but he always stayed involved. when we were losing in the first half, he often came hunting for the ball to begin attacks.

walcott 6.5 - his pace created fear but nothing else. nice goal though
diaby 5 - nice assist for 3rd goal.

we won and although a few players played well, we lack real presence and authority. I think Nasri and RvP played well but i don't feel either have much presence. we are a bit weak at the moment. we could do with a player like fellani. he was very effective for everton.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

Almunia 6
Song 4
Silvestre 5
Touré 5
Clichy 8
Eboue 5
Fabregas 7
Denilson 5
Nasri 6
Adebayor 4
Vpersie 6

Theo 7
Diaby 6

raidersoftheark

Established Member

Almunia 7
Song 5.5
Silvestre 6.5
Touré 5
Clichy 9 (MotM)
Eboue 5
Fabregas 5
Denilson 5
Nasri 7
Adebayor 4
Vpersie 5.5

Theo 8
Diaby 6.5

bertlb2

Almunia: Good and bad moments in the same game. Was clueless when Clichy saved on the line.
Song: Awful at RB. Strange decision to play him there. Why not put Eboué RB, Song in Denilson's place and the Brazilian on the right?
Touré: Sad to see him leave injured. I hope it is not too bad.
Silvestre: Looked of the pace in the first half when Everton where attacking, but he is an improvement in the air.
Clichy: Can you ask more of the guy? He is here, there, everywhere.
Eboue: A few misplaced passes. Did not caused Baines any problem.
Fabregas: OK. But he can't run the show everytime. He needs a rest from time to time. The true leader of the team.
Denilson: A passenger today. Everton ran the show for the first 30 mins. He is one of the reasons why.
Nasri: That left side with Clichy is very good. Hleb was technically better, but Nasri is what we needed.
Adebayor: A bad day at the office or a one-season wonder?
van Persie: So much potential. I once thought he would become one of the world's best. But he is missing so many chances.

Walcott: Changed the game. Strangely, he provided more balance to the team. Not perfect, but a nightmare to defend against.
Diaby: No impact, but good to see him back.
3rd sub: I know most players have bonus clauses in their contract, some players really need a break before the midweek game. Why not use all the tools we have.

Anzac

Established Member

3rd sub probably not used because we didn't secure the 3 points until the 90th minute...............again!!!!!

kel varnsen

Established Member

Almunia 5
Silvestre 5
Song 4
Clichy 5
Eboue 5
Fabregas 5
Denilson 4
Nasri 6
Adebayor 4
Vpersie 4

bertlb2

Anzac said:
3rd sub probably not used because we didn't secure the 3 points until the 90th minute...............again!!!!!

Well I think the points were secured when Robin scored, as Everton was on the ropes since half-time and there was no way back for them, but that is not my point. You are saying there is nobody on the bench that you trust enough to play the last 10 mins of a game? Even Gibbs for Robin? We are going to have a problem. I was never a big fan of the 7-men bench, I don't think Wenger is.

Anzac

Established Member

bertlb2 said:
Anzac said:

Well I think the points were secured when Robin scored, as Everton was on the ropes since half-time and there was no way back for them, but that is not my point. You are saying there is nobody on the bench that you trust enough to play the last 10 mins of a game? Even Gibbs for Robin? We are going to have a problem. I was never a big fan of the 7-men bench, I don't think Wenger is.

Depends on which way you look at it.
Primarily my response was having a dig at AW's use of the subs in general, and also at our reliance upon late goals;
Secondly - personally I'd use what subs I had after RVP scored to spell players & keep others match fit etc with the CL match in 2 days & our injuries;
Thirdly - whether I trust the players on the bench is irrelevant - it's AW who makes the calls;
Lastly - I agree with previous posts that for all his talk re Youth & internal development, AW appears reluctant to actually use them unless he has no other options. He ensures we have a small squad, talks up our talent etc, then sticks to the same 18 players as much as possible - even when we do have injuries.

He has said that he welcomed the 7 man bench to allow the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere etc to be part of the match day atmosphere, and for their latter prospects for game time. But again - what he says & what he does are seldom the same thing IMO. Slightly off topic perhaps but I don't trust him at his word so far as I could throw him.

kamikaze80

Established Member

almunia - 6 - good save against yak but got caught in no man's land again
eboue - 7
song - 3 - he is not a CB, full stop. squad player in CM.
toure - 8 - more desire than the rest of the team combined
silvestre - 7
clichy - 8 - motm - i didnt realise getting choked by a **** gets you a yellow card.. :roll:
fabregas - 5.5
denilson - 4 - useless defending, i've given up on him as a starter. where's flamini when you need him?
nasri - 7 - great goal
van persie - 6 - disappointing finishing but put himself about. first decent freekick of the season.
adebayor - 3 - shocking touch today, countless offsides and a dive to top it off. bendtner please!
walcott - 7

Biggus

Established Member

TomasCR said:
Didn´t see the game, just came home and read all the coments from you. Looks like RvP is lucky he scored the winner, he could have obtained -1 otherwise.

He was pretty horrible Tomas, couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel but he reacted well for his goal.

mags said:
A tale of two halves reflected in the ratings.....

Not only a tale of two halves Mags, but a team of two halves, half of them deserved a 7-8 and the others a 3-4.

AnthonyG said:
Ah, nothing like some late-night comic relief from Kel.

5 for Clichy :lol:

One Kel Varnsen
There's only one Kel Varnsen
One Kel Varnnnnnnnsen

banduan

Established Member

Almunia 7 - goof one moment, hero the next
Song 3 - out of position, out of mind!
Toure 6 - gladiatorial and speedy but also indecisive
Silvestre 5 - good headers, but I miss Gallas
Clichy 8 - good crosses makes him much better
Eboue 6 - good attacking, poor defending, very avergae
Denilson 5 - lost in mediocrity, Diaby is in
Cesc 6 - no energy but still had impact
Nasri 8 - quiet first half but whirlwind second (MotM)
Adebayor 4 - tenacious but not good at all
RVP 5 - good movement, good reflexes, poor product

Theo 7 - lifted spirits without lifting a boot
Diaby 7 - the performance to replace Denilson with

Arsène 4 - dire initial formation, but got reaction

Ref 4 - missed penalty, booked victim, otherwise okay

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

banduan said:
Ref 4 - missed penalty, booked victim, otherwise okay
How can that be an ok? :lol: That's his job and he didn't do it.

banduan

Established Member

it's a bit like this: say you're a great cabbie, and one day you did about 10 trips real well, only to run over a dog and shortchange an old lady. That day I would have given ya 8 out of 10 had it not been for the poor old lady.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

Al 5
Song 5
Toure 5
Silvestre 6
Clichy 9
Eboue 4
Denilson 4
Cesc 7
Nasri 8
van Perse 8
Offside 2

Theo 8

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom