• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 03/01/06

asajoseph

Established Member
For a 0-0 draw, I actually found this game quite exciting. I was thoroughly uninspired by the 4-5-1 formation, but this, to me, looked like the first time we've actually begun to get to grips with this formation (with one notable exception, which I'll come onto later). At home again, and a few players who haven't turned up all season begun to poke their noses through the curtains. No, we didn't win, but it was not a bad performance, and before the game I would certainly have taken a draw. Most importantly though, the players today looked like they really cared, and were channeling that into their football and not (too much) mindless aggression.

So, onto the ratings:-

Jens Lehmann - 7 - Suffered from some slightly dodgy kicking in the second half, but generally did everything that was required of him, as is becoming the normal. Was lucky when a well parried van Nistelhorsefacedtwat shot fell to Ronaldo, but punched reasonably well, and set off some quick attacks through quick thinking.

Pascal Cygan - 7 - No, he's not a left back, and towards the end of the match he let Ronaldo have far too much space down his side of the pitch. But, in contrast to this, and in the first half, his tackling was far, far better, and put on a nice crunching tackle on Gayboy Ronaldo. Started well, finished poorly, so solid overall.

Sol Campbell - 8 - Excellent strength all through the game, and put in some superb last ditch tackles. Martialled Rooney excellently, and looked much more like the Sol of old.

Kolo Toure - 7 - Caught out of position once or twice by clever running from the northern monkeys, but like Sol he exhibited some great strength, pace, and overall played pretty well.

Lauren - 8 - Never looked troubled by Utd's wingers, and got forward extremely well all game. Linked play up superbly down the right hand side, and if we had anyone interested in heading the ball, his crosses into the middle might have been more fruitful.

Jose Antonio Reyes - 8.5 - Ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran some more. The guy NEVER stopped, and deserves every single cheer he got tonight. Perhaps he wasn't the most dangerous of our midfielders going forward, but whenever he got the ball Manchester Utd looked worried. Tracked back well too.

Alexander Hleb - 8.5 - Not a winger today, but began to look like the central midfielder that many have hoped he might become. Like a metronone, he was able to recieve the ball, turn, either dribble or pass quickly, and genuinely looked like making things happen. We were half the attacking thread after he came off, and although it was because we were tiring, the Belarussian more than pulled his weight tonight

Gilberto Silva - 7.5 - Passing was erratic and poor as usual, but today he was far far better at doing what we actually expect from him. His reading of the game was much better, he got stuck in, and made some very strong challenges. Now if only he could pass the bloody ball!

Cesc Fabregas - 6.5 - Looked bright and dangerous in the first half, tired and jaded in the second. Put one excellent ball through for Pires, from which perhaps a little more could have been made, but as the game wore on his touch left him, and he was rightly substituted by Wenger.

Robert Pires - 7 - Had several chances from which he should have done better, but his overall display was an improvement on his recent performances. Began to play more directly, still timid in front of goal, but at least was trying to drive play forward, which was good to see. Not enough for a new contract, but definitely something to work on.

Thierry Henry - 5 - A bit harsh, I know, but I'll get onto that in a second. Yes, he had some good touches around the box, and set up Fabregas for what looked like a clear-cut penalty. Made some dangerous moves.... BUT he was also the single reason we did not win today. If we're going to continue to play 4-5-1, selling Henry to Barcelona could well be a very astute move. It is absolutely no use having him single-handedly spearheading our attack if he's going to spend most of the game waiting 45 yards out on the left wing. The number of times Reyes and Hleb made excellent progress up the left hand side, and Henry failed to make any kind of runs, leaving the box empty and standing waiting for the short pass to do it himself, was frankly infuriating. If he will not make direct runs when off the ball, he should be dropped every time we're going to play this formation. And if we can start pulling off as well as we did today, that will become more and more frequent. I firmly believe that if we'd had someone who would have made runs for Reyes and Hleb (and others), we'd have won today, but Henry was just not willing.

Subs:

Flamini - 6 - Came on too late to make much of an impact, but put in a couple of decent challenges.

Bergkamp - 6 - Made little impact, and was another victim of Henry's fetish for standing on the wing.

Eboue - 6 - Had too little time to really get involved in anything, but made an incredibly important goal-line clearance whilst under pressure.

Wenger - 7 - Finally looks like he's getting that 4-5-1 to start working, and probably selected the best XI players to use it. He's made Henry un-droppable though, and that will cost us if we intend to keep playing him at the top of the formation.

kel varnsen

Established Member
lehmann - 7
miskicked the ball a few times, but was solid as always.

lauren - 6
good game.

sol - 5
one of his best games this year, which pretty much says it all.

toure - 8,5 MOM
fantastic match. strong, quick and positionally aware. great game and we're ****ed when he leaves for africa.

cygan -2
****E! a decent first half, but a complete train crash in the 2nd half. every single man u attack came down our left side. couldn't even touch ronaldo. wenger need to get his head out of his ass and realize this is a very, very bad tactical move...

pires - 5
fairly decent.

hleb - 4
decent minus.

gilberto - 6
his best game this year. got stuck in and his passing wasn't terrible.

fabregas - 4
disappointing. pushed off the ball way too easy. looked lost and small.

reyes - 7,5
very good game. terrific work rate, good on the ball and good passing.

henry - 6
played well, but is too isolated up front in this 4-5-1 thing. gets no support whatsoever from cesc and hleb and has to drop back to get involved.

bergkamp - 1,5
****e as usual. too slow and too old. end of.

A

Anonymous

i agree with you 99%.......except i'm not gonna blame the formation for Henry's poor performance today. Throughout the game, our midfielders were looking for him only to find him behind them way back in defence or midfield. He's gonna blame his injury but he was just not moving.

Reyes and Hleb, fantastic, gives me renewed hope with Van Persie to come back.

Fabregas was excellent in the first half, got tired later on, but that can be fixed.

Lehmann - 6 - Poor kicking
Lauren - 7 - solid
Toure - 9 - should be captain!!
Campbell - 8 - solid
Cygan - 3 - mediocre passing and positionning
Gilberto - 7 - not bad
Fab - 7 - excellent first half
Hleb - 9 - amazing runs and control and passes
Reyes - 9 - MOM, ran his heart out
Pires - 6 - average
Henry - 5 - poor game

kamikaze80

Established Member
all of asa's comments are dead on, tho i will give henry credit for a great pass to pires up front. someone less timid might have tucked that away. still, hes not the right type of player to be playing as lone striker in a 4-5-1, and it was def 4-5-1 and not 4-3-3 tonite.

altho he played well, its a shame cygan was at leftback because given more freedom, reyes mightve been able to create something and support henry, who was stranded (or out of position) all night.

and for the love of god, when nothings on, we need to create space to get a shot on goal from outside the box. it looked wet out there and who knows, van der sar mightve spilled one. i know wenger likes high percentage shots but heres a number: chance of scoring when you dont shoot: 0%.

lehmann 6.5
lauren 7.5
toure 8
campbell 7.5
cygan 7
pires 7
gilberto 7
fabregas 7
hleb 7
reyes 8.5
henry 6

bergkamp 4
flamini, eboue 6

IBL

Established Member
Lehman 6.5 - good handling but a couple of dodgy kicks

Lauren 7.5 - coped well defensively and offered a good option up front, got caught out on a few occasions.
Kolo 7.5 - again gave everything and was on hand to dig us out a few times, kept Rooney relatively quiet.
Sol 7.5 - big and strong today, went forard with purpose.
Cygan 6.5 -Did ok. We knew he was going to be targeted but he stuck at it. Luckily Cry Baby couldnt deliver a decent cross today.

Gilberto 7 - a big improvement over previous games, a few dodgy passes but much better from the Brazilian
Cesc 7 - also played well and tried as always. Was economical with the ball.
Pires 7 - A better game from Bobby I thought, guilty of not shooting.
Hleb 7.5 - one of his best games to date, superb close control and always looking for the killer ball.
Reyes 8 - MoTM. great effort, lively and hardworking and helped out defensively.

Henry 6 - another below par performance, was involved in our better moves. Shouldnt be captain!

SUBS: All 6's seeing as they didnt really do much except for Eboue for his great goal-line clearance.

sabret00the

Established Member
lehmann - 7: still miskicking, but when on the defensive, he's a beast.

lauren - 6: he was decent, but he needs to do better.

campbell - 7: he was solid today, made some crucial tackles, his best game all season.

toure - 8: didn't put a foot wrong.

cygan - 6: you really can't fault this performance, it was good.

pires - 6: decent is the best way to describe it, needs to improve and really isn't playing well enough to warrant contract talks.

hleb - 7: was a really good performance, seems to be getting them simple passes right too, i was impressed.

gilberto - 6: still can't pass a rarse.

fabregas - 5: what happened to our terrier, bad day at the office.

reyes - 8: great game, looked wonderful defensively too, and he seemed very vocal too, was really impressed, my MOTM.

henry - 6: the formation doesn't suit him, but i have to say, i hope he's carrying an injury because if he's fit and playing like that, he should be given a 'rest'.

bergkamp - 3: wow, he's worst than i thought, he tried to do this thing where he wanted to take three touches and he looked like he was moving in slow motion

flamini - n/a: n/a

eboue - 6: what a save.

Army of Me

Established Member
kel, what have you been smoking? hleb - 4? gilberto - 6, cygan - 2, ffs, even the most hateful cygan-haters among us could see he played quite well for 75-80mins. credit where its due, matey.

Lehmann - 6.5 - not called into action often, but looked solid throughout. miskick was due to him slipping, and being put under pressure by cygan.
Lauren - 7 - good tackle on ronaldo to get him a yellow, looked well up for it.
Toure - 8 - solid as a rock, even got forward a few times.
Campbell - 8 - best game for a while, and even he got forward and almost created a clear cut chance for himself!
Cygan - 6 - played well considering, lost it in the last 15 mins a little but played the left back role as well as he could.
Gilberto - 7 - this wasn't the same player we've been seeing all season, first touch and movement was good!
Fab - 6.5 - wasn't as offensive as he could be, played all the game around the centre circle.
Hleb - 8 - i swear this guys puts glue on his boots to make the ball stick like that. as i've been saying ever since he joined, he's a central midfielder, this game showed why.
Reyes - 9 - awesome, can't say any more, i love this guy.
Pires - 6.5 - playing for a contract, and if he played like this more often he might just get one.
Henry - 6.5 - didnt look comfortable on his own up front but did create a few chances.

flamini, bergkamp, eboue - 5's, never really got into the game.

kel varnsen

Established Member
cygan was ****e. my ratings are 'absolute', not some 'relative' bullshit. my expectations of cygan are the same as of any other left back.

cygan was humiliated tonight. our left side was one way street and cygan was to blame. he couldn't even get close to ronaldo, who was having a field day out there.

as for hleb, he gives the ball away far too often in dangerous areas. prior to ronaldo's big miss in the first half, it was hleb who gave the ball away. it was a horrendous pass. he is a quality player, but didn't play well today. same goes for cesc...

KingReyes

Established Member
Lehmann - 6: FFS learn how to kick a ball

Lauren - 6: Love the tackle on Ronaldo, only gets a 6 because he didn't break his legs.

Kolo - 7- Solid again.

Sol - 7: Very strong in the air, one of his better games

Cygan - 6: is played out of position but he never seems to learn to stay in his spot. Passing was **** as well, however he did make some good tackles

Hleb - 6: Some nice passing but faded in the second half

Gilberto - 6: Managed to make two successfuk passes in a row.

Cesc - 6: Started well but faded, seemed tired.

Pires - 7: Thought he was our most dangerous player alongside Reyes.

Reyes - 8: Good on him, work rate was phenomenal and played some good football as well. Fingers crossed that it continues.

Henry - 6: Doesn't impress me as a lone striker, he plays too deep and we end up with noone up front. He also seems unfit.

Army of Me

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
cygan was s***e. my ratings are 'absolute', not some 'relative' bullshit. my expectations of cygan are the same as of any other left back.

cygan was humiliated tonight. our left side was one way street and cygan was to blame. he couldn't even get close to ronaldo, who was having a field day out there.

as for hleb, he gives the ball away far too often in dangerous areas. prior to ronaldo's big miss in the first half, it was hleb who gave the ball away. it was a horrendous pass. he is a quality player, but didn't play well today. same goes for cesc...
i'm sure everyones ratings are absolute, but 2 is equal to "he would've been more effective if he was never born" territory. if you can bring yourself to do it, watch the match again, he wasn't that bad.

same goes for hleb, you must've nodded off whenever he got the ball.

nazo

Established Member
i agree 90% with asajoseph
the other 10% goes like this:
giving cesc a 6.5 makes him look like he was one of our worst players today but he wasnt(i dont think anyone played bad, including cygan ;)) besides he was one of the only players to take a shot at goal and he passed around well (including the pires pass) and i agree 100% that he lost his touch in the second half.

henry deserves more than a 5, he tried to play creatively but confused both the manure players and our players at it. he made some long runs at the end(one ;)) and tried to score. also he was playing really good in the first half and deserves to be thanked for what he has done. btw it looks like his achilles injury was hurting him. i noticed it when reyes was going to take a corner.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Henry is getting some stick..but u guys need to remember something. This 4-5-2 is something very very new to Arsenal. Henry even on the days of 4-4-2 has always drifted wide..and it will take him TIME to adjust to staying central. It takes a while for players to adjust to new formation so i bet we will still see a lot of Henry on the sidelines..but with time he will adjust. football habits are tough to overcome.

bank8

Jens - 5 His Poor kicking wasted us a chance for some acttack.

Lauren - 6 Fortunately, Protugese gay has not attacked to his side Otherwise..

Toure - 7.5 I can't imagine What we will be when
he will leave us for International tournament.

Sol - 7 average.

Cygan 5.5 - He played decent in first , but look
horrible in second. Portugese gay loved to deal with
him. :(

Gilberto 8 - What a improvement! He was looked like old of him. offered us a serveral significant tackle .

cesc 6.5 - average

Hleb 7 - decent but has held the ball for a long that
It's a sligthly point I don't like him.

Jose 7.5 - made some brilliant technic to decieved
the silly manure players. but overall not a final
product.

Pires 5.5 - for me Quite bad . He has delayed the our attack play by his uncreativity. got many chance but couldn't make anyone.

Titi 7 - He has tried all the game I saw. but I didn't
agree what a point that he has brought himself to left flank all of times.

For me , It's not a good game .

Lukazan

Established Member
Lehmann 6.5 - One or two dodgey kicks but solid other than that.

Lauren 7 - Used the ball well and was solid. Abit sloppy right near the end but it'd be unfair to lower his scored based on that.

Kolo 8 - SOLID. Loving this guy at the minute, so much heart it's unbelievable.

Sol 7.5 - Sol's best game for a while I thought, as with Kolo he was solid and commanded the backline well.

Cygan 6 - Decent, for his standards. STILL a handful of nervy moments though.

Hleb 7 - Brilliant I thought, did he lose the ball once during the whole match? I can't recall him doing so, and I remember saying the same thing after the Chelsea game at the start of the season. A performance to build on for sure.

Reyes 8.5 - What to say? Excellent attacking threat, tracks back well and his work-rate has sky-rocketed. Megged Neville AGAIN. :D

Gilberto 7 - Better game... one sloppy pass I remember but apart from that his passing was surprisingly good. Broke up the play very well too.

Fabregas 6.5 - Started very well in the first half and was playing some good stuff, disappeared in the second half though and was rightly substituted.

Pires 6.5 - Quiet but was definitely an improved performance over some of the ****e we've seen this season. Nearly scored.

Henry 6.5 - Some of you may think I've been to harsh, and while I do think he did do okay, he was abit hot and cold.. at moments looking dangerous, at others looking like he'd rather be at home on the sofa. Not as sulky as usual.

Viper

Established Member
Lehmann - 6.5
Made a few good stops but his kicking was awful

Lauren - 7
Decent performance and a brilliant tackle on Ronaldo.

Toure - 8
Brilliant as usual.

Campbell - 8
Played fantastic. Put in some very good tackles and was one of his better games.

Cygan - 6
Despite his poor passing, I was impressed that he stopped Ronaldo a few times. He even got Fergie to make Ronaldo switch flanks!

Pires - 6.5
Average performance. Needs to put in more if he wants a new contract. Made a few good passes but his shots were too weak and sometimes let the opposition run past him.

Fabregas - 6.5
Decent in the first half but faded away in the second.

Gilberto - 7
Impressive. I didn't expect him to play as well as this. He made a few excellent tackles but made some poor passes, but I'm glad he got stuck in.

Hleb - 7.5
It was like the ball was glued to his feet. He rarely gave the ball away. Hopefully he will continue playing as well.

Reyes - 8
Excellent. Worked very hard, tracked back and did seem like an attacking threat.

Henry - 6.5
Played way too deep as a lone striker, thus there was no one in the box to pass to. Didn't look too comfortable.

Bergkamp - 5 - Looked pretty poor. Never really got in the game.
Eboue - 6 - Excellent stop.
Flamini - 5

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Reyes deserves a high rating for his effort alone, but really he didnt pose much threat to Utd when he had the ball.

I thought Hleb and Pires used the ball much better than he did.

A

Anonymous

Fabregas has reached a limit. He doesn't have the physique or presence to go any further with his game, the only thing he will gain is experience, Experience I don't think he nessecarily needs. 7

Gilberto is a defeatist. He done well enough, but just isn't good enough for the next Arsenal side. 6

Henry finally needs to be shackled. Regardless of if he moves to Barca or not. He needs to stop *****ing about the team not playing together, and start changing himself for the team. As a captain it should be second nature. 5

Reyes needs to be more aggressive and ruthless and stop playing within himself. I genuinely feel that Reyes is developing a bit more, but at a snails pace. He has to stand up and be counted more. 8 MOTM

Flamini is a decent player. Just don't go any further then that with flamini and you'll be accurate. 5

Lauren is great, captain material, just not the right age to give it to.
Gives away needless free kicks. Has to stop that against proper teams. 7

Toure has to be played as a defensive shield. He plays well, but can burst forward as well, Arsenal should be taking advantage of this. 9

Pires has some needed heart now, but still can't produce anything that he could last year. Sell him. 6

Campbell - Improved player. Match fit perhaps? Still getting on in years. 9

Hleb - Dissapointing. Frankly, He needs to earn his pay. No Stamina and nothing that flamini or Quincy couldn't do. 4

Lehmann, solid when it matters, dropped a few balls tho. Still, At this moment in time a goal must come from Opposing skill rather then a goalkeeping error which is nice. 7

Lukazan

Established Member
Kha0z said:
Hleb - Dissapointing. Frankly, He needs to earn his pay. No Stamina and nothing that flamini or Quincy couldn't do. 4

Very harsh I reckon.

He kept the ball incredibly well and his passing was very good.

Other than score a goal, what more could he have done?

asajoseph

Established Member
Indeed Lukazan.

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I watch the same game as some of the people here....

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom