• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 21/01/07

BeijingGunner

ronitc said:
BeijingGunner said:
However, his talent is for keeping running and hustling opponents off the ball. That's what he's good at, so that's what he does.

That's a talent? I can do that.

For 90 minutes against a team of professional athletes who have a similar training regime and similar stamina levels? If you can do that, I think you ought to get your boots and trot off down to London Colney. If not, you might want to consider not making pseudo witty comments about players.

On another tack, did anyone else notice Rosicky going stride for stride with Cristiano Ronaldo down Arsenal's right flank? I was, for one, amazed by Tomas' pace

Gooner T

just wanna say a big **** you to all the people who were slating Eboue in the week building up to this match.

also a big **** you to all the people who said clichy wasnt good enough for arsenal.

and finally... a BIG **** you to all the anti Henry people on this forum.... the king has taught you a lesson again!!!

Gooner T

oh yeah... and an even BIGGER **** you to all the people that say the King dont perform in the big games...
lol...

sabret00the

Established Member
Gooner T said:
just wanna say a big f**k you to all the people who were slating Eboue in the week building up to this match.
bar the cross he was pony, that's harsh, let's use the word average and still embarrassing.

Gooner T said:
also a big f**k you to all the people who said clichy wasnt good enough for arsenal.
i've always maintained that clichy is a better player than that, that can be beaten on speed alone.

Gooner T said:
and finally... a BIG f**k you to all the anti Henry people on this forum.... the king has taught you a lesson again!!!
yes the lesson that you spend 80% of your game looking disinterested and once again largely anonymous but a goal will make people forget your performance in the name of a goal.

zievad

At the end of the day, we didn't play Watford or Charlton. We played arguably one of the best teams in Europe. I'd ad 1 to 1.5 to any of their scores purely because they played against some stiff competition. Clichy owned both Rooney and Ronaldo, supposedly two of the best players in the world just now. They kept switching to get away from him only to run into Eboue, who bar one or two slips, also did really well. Ronaldo was useless and credit has to be given. I could go on about the rest of the team but as far as I'm concerned, they were all great, bar Hleb who I thought was pretty ordinary again.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
A special mention for Justin Hoyte's performance.

Granted he was only on the pitch for ten seconds, however in that time he was excellent. A very composed and mature performance. His passing was crisp, his positioning was excellent. He was aggressive yet passive, pacey and yet controlled. His reading of the game was nothing short of spectacular. If he can carry on that level of performance who knows where he'll end up.

I think people are being too harsh on Flamini, Gilberto's passing can be pretty shocking to in case we've all forgot. He isn't Cesc and never will be, but he competes and I thought gave a gritty and honest performance which he always does. If that would have been Flamini who lost Evra other than Cesc he would have been grilled to high heavens on here.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
goonerwarsh said:
A special mention for Justin Hoyte's performance.

Granted he was only on the pitch for ten seconds, however in that time he was excellent. A very composed and mature performance. His passing was crisp, his postioning was excellent. He was aggressive yet passive, pacey and yet controlled. His reading of the game was nothing short of spectacular. If he can carry on that level of performance who knows where he'll end up.
Agreed. I also like Justin's aerial competitivenss. With his game reading and agressiveness, I think he attacks aerial ball better than Eboue on the righ flank at the moment.

If Justin can learn how to cross, not with the in-swing crossing but with the old English-style ball chipping crossing like Dixon's. Justin will contribute more in attacking while being sound in defense.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Lehmann - 8: some very important saves.
Eboue - 7 had a good game, sad about his theatricals again.
Toure - 7.5: very solid yet again.
Senderos - 7: solid.
Clichy - 8.5: brilliant game.
Hleb - 6: stinker by his standards.
Cesc - 9: gorra be one of the best if not the best midfielder in the world.
Flamini - 6 not a particularly good game.
Rosicky - 7: not one of his best.
Ade - 8.5 played a blinder .
Henry - 7.5 came good in the end.

RVP- 7: good impact.
Baptista - 5.5: didn't do much.
Hoyte - N/A

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
what a fantastic win for us! was a superb come back against these scums. love to see us putting 2 over them. made my perfect day

lehmann 7.5 - conceded 1, but made 2 world class saves. goal kicks poor though.

eboue 6.5 - attacking wise always great. defensive wise average.

toure 7

senderos 7.5 - towering

clichy 8 - seeing him made ronaldo change flanks and manutd stop attacking from their right feels good. world class act

flamini 7 - proved me wrong, though i felt gilberto could have prevented man utd goal. though irony that it would have not spark our win

hleb 7 - worked hard all day. not that effective though

rosicky 7 - passes not accurate enough. too complacent.

cesc 9 - dictator

henry 7.5 - class act towards the end

ade 8 - fought hard all day long

subs
rvp 7.5 - what a goal
baptista 5
hoyte n.a

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Gooner T said:
just wanna say a big f**k you to all the people who were slating Eboue in the week building up to this match.

also a big f**k you to all the people who said clichy wasnt good enough for arsenal.

and finally... a BIG f**k you to all the anti Henry people on this forum.... the king has taught you a lesson again!!!

As far as I'm concerned, Eboue wasn't getting slated based on his ability to cross a ball, he was getting slated because his attitude is, well, pretty poor. Nothing's changed on that score, a clueless Arsenal fan I know came in and told me Eboue had "proved me wrong", actually that clash with Rooney further strengthens what I already thought.

Still, it was a great cross. Just want him to cut out the silliness, because it will cost us one day.

kel varnsen

Established Member
BeijingGunner said:
On another tack, did anyone else notice Rosicky going stride for stride with Cristiano Ronaldo down Arsenal's right flank? I was, for one, amazed by Tomas' pace

not surprised at all. rosicky is very, very quick. against watford he sprinted past ashley young, who is very pacey.

it's just that one doesn't think of pace as one of rosicky's biggest strengths. he is seen more as a 'playmaker', but he's got great pace as well.

kel varnsen

Established Member
flamini was awful. if we hadn't won, people would be slating him mercilessly. he was unable to win back the ball, he was too slow closing down the man u midfielders and he wasn't able to cover space in front of our back four. add to that, his passing game was attrocious. man u were constantly able to pass the ball right through our central midfield and into the area in front of our back four. the area which flamini was supposed to protect. luckily, man u was unable to take advantage of this and most of their moves broke down before they created any real chances.

Jameel46

Established Member
Ice Berg legend said:
Christofaux said:
Funny no one has blasted toure for missing the header for Rooney's goal. If it was Senderos people would be calling for djourou.
I doubt it, that ball was whipped in and Toure did well even just to get a flick on it. He had to try to get something on it, unfortunately he only succeeded in diverting it straight to Rooney

i think there's some truth in what christofaux is saying, i remember some people having a go at hoyte when a cross came off him to a watford player to score, abit of double standards but all in all Toure had a good game and also senderos proving he's a very good defender when HIS season gets going (wasn't to happy at that miss kick mind you)

goonerwarsh

Established Member
I agree Casbah, it will come up and bite us on the arse if we're not careful. It could of yesterday. It's a shame cos he has everything going for him, he just needs to cut that rubbish out.

I was watching the game yesterday with a friend of mine who looks after Gilberto's and a few of the others players kids. She was invited to his daughters party, she said that Baptista got up playing one of them Brazilian guitars and was singing his heart out, whilst Eboue stood next to him playing some drum thing with his face painted like a tiger :lol:

She said he's nuts!!

morpho

Established Member
In the end we all have our "favourite" players and see the game through different eyes... To say that Hleb was better yesterday than Rosicky is for me blasphemy to football, but then again some people think otherwise... Eboue dives, no question about that, but he is a quality resource for the team. Clichy too. He does errors, but other players mistakes is easier forgiven by some gooners... And then we have Henry. Invisible at times, but proves the reason to keep him in the game. Marked or not, he does what he is there for.. score goals...

by the way.. lehmanns "injury" in the 95th minute was hillarious! Pure class!! :D

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I thought Hleb and Rosicky were both poor in possession yesterday, though they both provide more than just quality on the ball. Both work hard, and ultimately, Rosicky did have a hand, or a foot, in both goals.

Gooner T

Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:
bar the cross he was pony, that's harsh, let's use the word average and still embarrassing.

Average was he? How many times did Ronaldo beat him when he switched to the left? Not many (if any) if recall correctly. Thats the best winger in the league at the moment by the way. In addition to this, he had the desire and the stamina to make a pentrative run 93rd minute, and the technique to put in a great cross, in his first game back from injury. But if you say he was average....

Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:
i've always maintained that clichy is a better player than that, that can be beaten on speed alone.

Sorry, dont get your point here. Can you clarify?

Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:
yes the lesson that you spend 80% of your game looking disinterested and once again largely anonymous but a goal will make people forget your performance in the name of a goal.

Did you watch the full match or just the highlights? Henry put in a lot of work last night. To call someone "disinterested" when they have worked as hard as he did last night is wrong. I'd agree with you that in terms of end product he was anonymous for 80% of the game. However, he should have won us a pen if the ref was watching the same game as everone else, and in addition to that he made the games most telling contribution i.e he scored the winner with a very good header. Thats the mark of a truly great player, the opposition thinks they have kept him quiet but then he kills them when they least expect it.

I'd put your comments down to you not watching the full game properly and try not say things like "you're anti-Henry" but it is hard to do that when you've already described his perfomance against Utd as "atrocious".... ATROCIOUS... Seriously?? You understand where im coming from?

mccroix

my ratings:

jens: 8..great saves, more than solid
eboue: 7 cut the theatricals! good going forward, solid most of the time
toure: 7,5 solid
phil: in the air 9, on the ground 6 i'm afraid
clichy: 9,5 brilliant performance, ronaldo/giggs didn't have a chance
flamini:7 solid defending, bad passing
cesc: 9 pulled the strings yet again, great game
hleb: 6,5 bad game, unlucky
rosicky: 7,5 nice assist, bad passing
henry: 9 a captains performance, dertermined to win
ade: 7,5 worked hard, didn't see too much of the ball

rvp: 7,5 great goal
baptista: -
hoyte: -

sabret00the

Established Member
Gooner T said:
Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:

Average was he? How many times did Ronaldo beat him when he switched to the left? Not many (if any) if recall correctly. Thats the best winger in the league at the moment by the way. In addition to this, he had the desire and the stamina to make a pentrative run 93rd minute, and the technique to put in a great cross, in his first game back from injury. But if you say he was average....

Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:

Sorry, dont get your point here. Can you clarify?
meant can't.

Gooner T said:
Gooner T said:
sabret00the said:

Did you watch the full match or just the highlights? Henry put in a lot of work last night. To call someone "disinterested" when they have worked as hard as he did last night is wrong. I'd agree with you that in terms of end product he was anonymous for 80% of the game. However, he should have won us a pen if the ref was watching the same game as everone else, and in addition to that he made the games most telling contribution i.e he scored the winner with a very good header. Thats the mark of a truly great player, the opposition thinks they have kept him quiet but then he kills them when they least expect it.

I'd put your comments down to you not watching the full game properly and try not say things like "you're anti-Henry" but it is hard to do that when you've already described his perfomance against Utd as "atrocious".... ATROCIOUS... Seriously?? You understand where im coming from?
[/b]Eboue: We've seen him dominate whole right sides but he was pegged back yesterday for large parts of the game.

Henry: He wasn't a goal-threat for most of the game, no one can deny that and ultimately that's his primary function. so no bias there, not to mention that his anonymity was the first thing Wenger was asked about in his post match interview. It's a question that appears to be following Henry's performances around at the moment, it's bigger than just me.

Rocafella

Established Member
pegged back? I'm convinced that Wenger told Eboue to be more cautious in going forward. You can't bomb forward for 90 minutes against Ronaldo and Evra, it's ****. Eboue was great for most of the game, beaten once or twice but that's to be expected from any full back. Put in a fabulous cross. But I'm sure Gilbert could of done all of that and a whole lot more. :roll:

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten

Latest posts

Top Bottom