• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Wigan Athletic | 07/05/06

Legend#1

Established Member
I must be 1 of the few that thought Reyes was good.

Much more in the game, some lovely passes, good movement, much better than LM.

Tegh

Established Member
Legend#1 said:

He was alright, I agree, but I guess Henry's performance has caught most peoples eye to be honest.

EDIT: lol Jester.

Rohit

Established Member
Legend#1 said:

No i thought he was good too,he ran a lot pressurized their defenders when they had the ball,some lovely vision too when he had the ball.
Normally i'd expect Reyes to drop deep like Bergkmap used to and make all the play and spray passes around,but Thierry did all that,it was his day certainly and he was up for it.
Over the years we have played our best football with Bergkamp in the side,with him dropping deep which gave our midfielders a chance to make those runs.Today also both Hleb and Pires got into fantastic positions.We played some very good football in the 2nd half,1st half i guess the players might have been overwhelmed by the occasion,well it was overwhelming.
Reyes too started asking for the ball more in the 2nd half and made some very good runs.

I hope the players aer'nt overwhelmed in the beginning on 17th and start as calmly as they started the 2nd half today nad finish it with as much style as they did today.

Valon

Jens - 7
Eboue - 8
Sol - 7
Kolo - 8
Cole - 7
Hleb - 6.5
Gilberto - 7
Cesc - 7
Pires -7
Reyes - 7
Henry - 10

Glass_Heart

Lehmann 6 (uncharacteristically made a mistake)

Eboue 6.5 (Nice going forward, else made some mistakes at the back)

Toure 8 (as immense as usual)

Campbell 6 (With performance like this, i sure hope he buck up else i fear for CL final)

Cole 7.5 (Getting back to his very best, easily the best left back on his day)

Hleb 6.5 (Did ok i guess, nice touches too)

Gilberto 7.5 (Broke up some really promising play by Wigan, fantastic)

Fabregas 6.5 (Not his day though, but sure hope he's saving it for Barca)

Pires 7 (Maybe his final game for gunners, and fittingly, he gave a reasonable performance)

Reyes 5.5 (Way too inconsistent, went down way too easily for my liking, indecisive at times as well)

Henry 9.5 (Absolutely fabulous, if he leaves Arsenal, then i truly wish him well for the unwavering commitment he has shown to Gunners)

The fans in Highbury today - 10 out of 10.

Dougan17

Lehmann - 5 - didn't have much to do and screwed up on both goals by not coming out and reading the ball and the second was a howler but other than that played pretty confidently.

Eboue - 7 - gave us a lot of width and made good connecting passes after the first 30 minutes of not playing terribly well

Toure - 8 - good game from him I thought. didn't have to do much overall though so that precludes him getting a higher score but did excellently when called upon

Campbell - 7.5 - didn't have to do too much but was solid throughout the game, Roberts gave him some problems again but nothing like earlier in the season

Cole - 7.5 - did well I thought, especially since he's still short. Looked lively all game. didn't wander as much as he did against man city and played a very safe game without extending himself too much. Definite starter agains barcelona in my mind. Should be able to keep a messi who will be short of fitness or whoever replaces him relatively quiet.

Gilberto - 7 - hit and miss for much of the day but didn't do anything that poor that I could see. Broke up some key plays and didn't allow himself to get caught out much. Good to see him move with the ball more too as well. Wigan were pushing a midfielder forward and having one of their strikers drop back to pressure him specifically and he used the space left behind their midfielder to great advantage. Definitely a sign of experience

Fabregas - 6.5 - I would've liked to see much better from him. Had an open header he hit right at the keeper, I think he played that great ball in for Pires's goal though which was great but didn't really get involved much in the game and we looked very disjointed because of it.

Hleb - 6 - not his best game, imo. Was very in and out for the whole game and didn't really put his stamp on it. Extremely high work rate though and you can't fault a player for that.

Pires - 8 - I thought he started excellently with a cool finish for the first and then a great pass for Henry's first. You can really see what he offers to the team on days like today. His experience with the system and especially with Henry is awesome. As soon as the ball fell to him he and Henry both knew what they were going to do and he slotted the ball perfectly spotting him exactly. You can see the clear differences between him and a player like Reyes who, arguably, has more ability but Pires puts it to better use.

Reyes - 7 - in and out for much of the game but solid overall. Hasn't played up top for quite some time so he looked out of place but didn't do anything particularly poor and kept a lot of plays alive that other players might've let go. Stayed on his feet a lot more as well which is good to see.

Henry - 10 - you can't possibly ask more from a player on such a big game. Led by example today with a perfectly taken hat trick right at the right time. The whole team got complacent and you could tell they really thought the game was done by the 9th minute and we got pegged back and when they took the lead it would've been easy to just give in and say "it's not our year" but he turned it around immediately and instilled great belief in the side. Just an awesome performance. I really hope he's staying, we need him.

As far as the subs go nobody really had a terribly huge impact on the game except Freddy who got pulled down after Henry's amazing juggle and then chip to him which, if he'd not been fouled and scored, would've gone on henry's highlight reel, imo.

flaunt

If the scores had been compiled after the first half of the game, Sol would have gotten a 4! He was horrible.

For such a strong guy, he sure got brushed off by Roberts, and he looked like he was standing still against Camara.

I'm sure in 10 days, Wenger will be able to get more out of him, but I was having a conniption everytime he had to defend.

2nd half he was better, but he hardly had anything to do anyway - so it's hard to tell.

tgr

Jens - 6 - not his day

Eboue - 8 - great again
Toure - 7 - decent game
Campbell - 6 - still a little rusty
Cole - 8 - coming back

Hleb - 7 - reliable
Fabregas - 8 - Fabulous
Gilberto - 6 -
Pires - 8 - great
Reyes - 6 - day off
Henry - 10 - king of highbury

Ljunberg - 8 -
Bergkamp - 7 -
RvP - 7 -

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom