• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Blackburn Rovers vs Arsenal | 19/08/07

asajoseph

Established Member
An incredibly disappointing match, though at kickoff, I suspect many would have taken the result.

Watched the game down at the 12 Pins, the atmosphere was great for the first half, but once Jens made his clanger, it was incredibly deflating. The ref kept a very strong lid on things in the first half, but let things get a little out of hand in the second, and Arsenal players seemed to be getting carded far, far too easily.

Feel incredibly resigned now, I have to say - our performance deserved more than a point, but we gift wrapped Blackburn‘s equaliser with a bow tied round it - Jens really let us down today..

Jens - 4 - Looked very uncomfortable under the high ball today, including one moment of terrible indecision that allowed the Blackburn forward a relatively free header. Made some nice catches, but his second absolute clanger of the season, palming Dunn’s shot that had been directly at him into the goal, was unforgivable. Cost us the match today - and any more creaky performances from him could quickly see Manuel Almunia taking his place.

Bacary Sagna - 9 - An absolutely outstanding, all-round performance from Sagna today, and already is beginning to look like a massive upgrade over Eboue at right back. Made some brilliant tackles, interceptions, and dealt with the ball equally comfortably in the air as he did on the ground.

Kolo Toure - 7 - Continues to look very weak and indecisive dealing with the ball in the air, but made up for it with some great covering challenges at the back. Seemed to leave the Blackburn forwards with a lot of room on occasion, but usually made up for it.

William Gallas - 6 - Didn’t really have a whole lot to do when he was on the pitch, but seemed relatively comfortable. A big blow for us if he’s injured, and letting Djourou go on loan to Christmas already looks like it might be a foolish move, if Gallas’ injury is anything but short-lived.

Clichy - 7 - A few tidy breaks down the left flank, and some nice challenges tracking back too. Often let Bentley get the ball in a little too easily though, which is dangerous against such an aerial side as Blackburn.

Theo - 7 - A really shocking ball for RVP on what really should have been a goal, and gave things away a little too easily on other occasions as well. However, I think the overall signs were much more encouraging, he played one or two really nice passes, showed great touch, skill, and pace on occasions, and really seemed to be giving Blackburn problems - though he faded a bit before coming off.

Flamini - 8 - A tidy, combative performance, looked much more steady than he has in the past, but my biggest complaint about him is still that he leaves too much space behind him in midfield, and get caught out a bit too often - which happened a few times today. He might have been lucky not to get another yellow for one of his challenges, but all-round it was good to see him sticking it to Blackburn, and he came out on top a fair number of times.

Cesc - 8 - Like Flamster, he really got stuck in, and clearly is not a player who’s going to be dominated this year. Showed some very nice tackles, looked strong, and isn’t going to let players walk all over him. Played quite a few very nice passes today as well, and even had a nice set-piece or two, but never really made much of it count.

Hleb - 8 - Looked very threatening, most of the time, and showed some nice touches, passes, and moved the ball very well. Might have shot a little sooner when Bendtner won the ball from Friedel, and he ended up on the edge of the area with the ‘keeper scrambling, but overall a very tidy, confident display.

Eduardo - 7 - Really liked his play today, and could have had an assist for Flamini with a clever nutmeg on the edge of the area. He’s a lot stronger than he looks, and is more than capable of holding his own against Premiership strikers. Maybe needs to pull the trigger a little earlier, and needs to realise he doesn’t have as much time in the Premiership, but an encouraging debut.

Robin van Persie - 7.5 - A smartly taken finish, and Walcott should really have set him up for a second. His overall team play has become far better than it has been in the past, and he worked hard for us - though perhaps, in such a heated game, he needed to be a little more careful about getting sent off, and he made me very nervous. Great movement today though.

Subs

Phil Senderos - 7 - A pretty good game, I thought, and dealt with pretty much everything that was asked of him. Should maybe have done a bit better with his header at goal, but it was almost strange to have a player offering a genuine aerial threat at the far post from set pieces. I’m relatively comfortable playing him whilst Gallas is out for however long.

Denilson - 6 - Not really sure what Wenger was hoping to achieve making this substitution, and I’m not really sure what Denilson really did when he came on. A bit anonymous, really.

Bendtner - 6.5 - Very well challenged on Friedel to set up Hleb / Denilson (after a few ricochets), but should maybe have placed his cut-back better. Still, looked able to physically dominate his opponents, and a reasonable showing.

Overall, a good performance ruined by another horrific error.

giuliob

What are the numerical values? Scores seem really high....Like what is average? Etc.....

asajoseph

Established Member
They're subjective values, out of 10, for the performance of each player.

I tend to use a 6 as average - and yes, my scores were fairly high because I think today should really have been a victory based upon a good, solid performance against an incredibly physical, aggressive opponent.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Lehmann 4.5
Sagna 7
Toure 6.5
Gallas N.A
Clichy 6
Walcott 6
Cesc 6
Flamini 5.5
Hleb 6
Eduardo 6.5
Rvp 7

Subs
Senderos 7
Denilson 6
Bendtner 6

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Lehmann - 4
Clichy - 6.5
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 7.5
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 5.5
Walcott - 5
Eduardo - 5.5
van Persie - 7

ThaSaltCracka

The team played really well. Lehman had a good game up until that **** up. Theo was very dissapointing for me, however he didn't have a bad game.

I agree with Asa's rankings, except Theo gets a 5 in my book.

Senderos had a very good match for us. You could have an argument for him deserving an 8.

As for Jens, I give him a 2 because thats what he cost us. Horrible.

nazo

Established Member
Lehmann - 2.5
Clichy - 7
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 8
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 6
Walcott - 3
Eduardo - 6
van Persie - 7

giuliob

My rating system makes a 5 average, a 7 very good, a 9 outstanding.
Lehmann - 4 What a shame, after a fairly solid game....
Clichy - 6 All round slightly above average performance after what we have seen in the first two games....No major goofs.
Toure - 6 Again, all round slightly aboe average performance, maybe a better first half
Gallas - 6 Did we miss his leadership? Or would a goal have landed anyway?
Sagne - 7.5 Solid, calm, deliberate, tough....
Walcott - 5 Doesn't use his speed to his advantage....Reminds me of Eboue....Doesn't have a plan....But will learn as he plays more
Flamini -6.5 He's vocal and tough
Fabregas - 6 Tough game for him with thugs all around but he held his own.
Hleb - 6 Same as Cesc....Showed some fight.
Eduardo - 6.5 Good things will happen...Admire his grit and his positioning
RVP - 6.5 Although he got a yellow card, he has matured, and good things will happen.....

Against these thugs, these players showed more determination and grit than in the past.....Were they worn down in the second half?

Denilson -5 Really didn't make his presence known.
Bendtner - 6.5 Like a lot as he meshes with the team.....
Senderos- 6.5 Solid, workmanlike, hey he almost scored!

The Team as a Whole - 6.5 Major letdown in the second half

Wenger - 5 Would have preferred Bendtner in first and earlier.
He better get some reinforcements....It's a grueling season ahead and this squad is thin.....

PS I watched on a stream.

asajoseph

Established Member
bluenaz said:
Lehmann - 2.5
Clichy - 7
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 8
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 6
Walcott - 3
Eduardo - 6
van Persie - 7

I think that's very harsh. He completely did his man several times in the first half, and his early ball through to Eduardo should really have been made into more of a chance than it was.

His pass to RVP was terrible though, but I think he showed a whole lot more than a 3/10.

Edit: And just to point out, it was his persistence and aggression that created that chance anyway - apart from the goal, it was probably our best opportunity to score.

nazo

Established Member
asajoseph said:
bluenaz said:
Lehmann - 2.5
Clichy - 7
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 8
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 6
Walcott - 3
Eduardo - 6
van Persie - 7

I think that's very harsh. He completely did his man several times in the first half, and his early ball through to Eduardo should really have been made into more of a chance than it was.

His pass to RVP was terrible though, but I think he showed a whole lot more than a 3/10.

I don't think so. Maybe i was harsh on Hleb, Flamini and Cesc (i'm still mad at Lehmann :|) but Walcott was certainly horrible. No end product at all and a waste of space. He was just as bad as Eboue in the last game but maybe even worse. His runs make nothing and don't get me started on that horrible pass that would've gave us the win. His decision making is pathetic as well.

The only good thing he did the whole game was that early pass and that's it. I still hope he ups his game and plays better but till now he's been average at best.

xcdude24

Established Member
Well, it truly was a tale of two halves and that second half was almost bramall lane-esque, in my opinion. First half was good, though.

I think this season's main problem will be that we won't be able to shut teams down on the road. Hopefully we sort that out.

Onto the ratings..

Lehmann- 4.5. Poor. Inconsistent, and he cost us the full three points. It's time for Almunia, without a doubt.

Sagna- 8. I'm very, very impressed with this guy. He's got aerial ability, he can move forward with at least some competency, and he shuts people down very well. We needed a no-nonsense type defender at the right back spot, and I think Wenger picked the right one out.

Clichy- 6.5. Wasn't overly-impressed with his performance, but solid nonetheless. Didn't move forward as much as he usually does, but that's probably because Wenger instructed him to do so.

Gallas- 6. Not really gonna rate how well he did because he wasn't on for very long.

Toure- 6.5. A few too many hickups for my liking, but nothing major.

Walcott5.5. For Theo, this was definitely a decent performance, but he's still not up to first team standards. He looked more confident when he made his runs, but his passing was off, he made some poor touches, and his decision making wasn't great(again). However, games like these make people improve, and I think he'll be better because of this performance.

Flamster- 6. Didn't live up to his previous performances, but he didn't have a bad game. I like his attitude, he just needs to have more of an influence in the midfield. The reason our second half performance was so poor was because we weren't getting any possession going in the central midfield, and we needed a warrior to keep things going.

Fabregas- 6.5. Again, decent, but he absolutely needed to do better. He's got the attitude, he's just not there quite yet for me. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but there's something off.

Hleb- 6.5. Had a good first half, but he didn't really create much second half. Still, i'm liking his creativity and I think he adds a sense of urgency to our side.

Eduardo- 7. For his first game, I thought he did very well. He was one of the main reasons we scored our goal and he was really causing the Blackburn defenders a lot of trouble. I like what I see in him. Didn't really like where Wenger deployed him, but he didn't have a choice.

RVP- 7. He was victim #1 of Blackburn's physical play, and that being said, I thought he did well enough. Good to see him bang in another goal, I just would have liked him to get a little more proactive(then again, he wasn't really able to do anything)

SUBS:
Senderos- 6.5. Played with a lot of fire in his belly, and I thought he did well enough.

Denilson- 5. Invisible. Wenger brought him on to give a sense of urgency to the side and he failed to deliver. However, it's his first game back and I guess i'm being kind of mean to give him such a hard time.

Bendtner- 6.5 Missed a couple real chances, but he definitely brings a sense of directness to our side. He's due for a goal and I hope he gets one soon.

Wenger- 8. Liked the suit-tie combo.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Lehmann MUST be dropped for he next game to demonstrate how a clanger such as that will not go unpunished

asajoseph

Established Member
bluenaz said:
asajoseph said:
bluenaz said:
Lehmann - 2.5
Clichy - 7
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 8
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 6
Walcott - 3
Eduardo - 6
van Persie - 7

I don't think so. Maybe i was harsh on Hleb, Flamini and Cesc (i'm still mad at Lehmann :|) but Walcott was certainly horrible. No end product at all and a waste of space. He was just as bad as Eboue in the last game but maybe even worse. His runs make nothing and don't get me started on that horrible pass that would've gave us the win. His decision making is pathetic as well.

The only good thing he did the whole game was that early pass and that's it. I still hope he ups his game and plays better but till now he's been average at best.

I disagree - for starters, he created single that situation where he screwed his pass for RVP on his own anyway.

I don't think he looked too tidy on the outside, but cutting into the middle he looked like he was giving Blackburn a lot of problems. He was nowhere near as ineffective as Eboue was against Prague.

dos1986

Established Member
kaids said:
Lehmann - 4
Clichy - 6.5
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 7.5
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 5.5
Walcott - 5
Eduardo - 5.5
van Persie - 7

Agree Jens was useless,defence ok,midfield had fight,Walcott his usual boring self and strikers lively.....

4th place here we come...

asajoseph

Established Member
dos1986 said:
kaids said:
Lehmann - 4
Clichy - 6.5
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 7.5
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 5.5
Walcott - 5
Eduardo - 5.5
van Persie - 7

Agree Jens was useless,defence ok,midfield had fight,Walcott his usual boring self and strikers lively.....

Did you write that before, or after the match?

qs

Established Member
Re: Blackburn Rovers vs Arsenal Player Ratings

asajoseph said:
Jens - 4 - Looked very uncomfortable under the high ball today, including one moment of terrible indecision that allowed the Blackburn forward a relatively free header. Made some nice catches, but his second absolute clanger of the season, palming Dunn’s shot that had been directly at him into the goal, was unforgivable. Cost us the match today - and any more creaky performances from him could quickly see Manuel Almunia taking his place.

Apart from the whopping and very costly mistake he'd played excellently. Now IMO a keepers job is to concentrate 100% of the game, otherwise they've ****ed up so I'm not defending Lehmann but to say he looked uncomfortable against high balls is miles off. He was dominant in the box for most high balls.

asajoseph

Established Member
Re: Blackburn Rovers vs Arsenal Player Ratings

qs said:
asajoseph said:

Apart from the whopping and very costly mistake he'd played excellently. Now IMO a keepers job is to concentrate 100% of the game, otherwise they've f*d up so I'm not defending Lehmann but to say he looked uncomfortable against high balls is miles off. He was dominant in the box for most high balls.

No - he made a few nice catches, but completely ballsed one up with Toure in the second half from a Pedersen corner that ended up leaving a Blackburn player (can't remember who) with a free header about 3 yards out.

dos1986

Established Member
asajoseph said:
dos1986 said:
kaids said:
Lehmann - 4
Clichy - 6.5
Toure - 7
Senderos - 7
Sagna - 7.5
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 5.5
Walcott - 5
Eduardo - 5.5
van Persie - 7

Did you write that before, or after the match?

:lol:

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom