• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Sunderland vs Arsenal | 04/10/08

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Re: Player ratings - Sunderland v Arsenal

Biggus said:
arsmile said:
Al- 8- kept us in it in the first half twice with good saves, consistant quick, smart distribution- liked his punch late on that took out the player also- cesc’s goal came seconds later- coincidence?! (probably) Blameless for their goal

Blameless yes, he did have a good game, but do you have nothing to say about my observation about Al's technical fault, his tendency to dive too quickly falling under the ball and then his need to try to reach back to compensate? Nothing he could have done about it? another contender for goal of the season? :lol:
For goal of the month at least, yes. I remember David Seaman letting a very similar strike in from a certain Wayne Rooney against Everton a couple of years ago. Almunia tries to reach the ball as soon as he sees the strike, what else can he do? We're talking about fractions of a second here and either you get it on you or not. He couldn't predict exactly where it would hit, he had to take a chance on his reflexes. You clearly have no clue about how goalkeepers work (I used to be one) if you think that he did any kind of technical error on that goal. He simply didn't. To even react in time to try and catch that strike is hard. He has got the whole defence in front of him blocking the view and once he get a glimpse of Leadbitter he does the only thing he can do. And, to make matters worse, the hit reflected off the bar and went into goal instead of out. None of the other goalkeepers in the league would have saved that one. Sorry.

Almunia did two or three extremely good saves though. Particularly the one with his leg when Cissé was free with only the keeper to beat. He was great today.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

I mean, seriously. Look at it: MOD EDIT: link removed

Leadbitter can shoot and shoot and he still won't hit a ball like that ever again. It's a ridicuously ****ing good goal and I'm impressed that Almunia even manages to get that close to it.

hackajack

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
....no clue about how goalkeepers work (I used to be one) if you think that he did any kind of technical error on that goal..
Ah, that explains a lot.

arsmile

Established Member

ok biggus, i dont think you have a point with this one having been reminded by that dubiously linked youtube clip

try again next time- might have better luck with that one!

problem is, you'll blame al for every goal he concedes, and eventually you're bound to be right in one instance, and you'll scream 'haha, told you so, i was right all along'

i'm not saying for sure that you dont have a general point- but it's not applicable with this goal

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Biggus said:
Blameless yes, he did have a good game, but do you have nothing to say about my observation about Al's technical fault, his tendency to dive too quickly falling under the ball and then his need to try to reach back to compensate? Nothing he could have done about it? another contender for goal of the season? :lol:
AnthonyG said:
True Gooner said:
Almunia - 7
Biggy's going to have a field day on Al diving across and using his right arm or some such. :wink: Why the 2 only for Sagna, he gave away a lot of ball I suppose.
;D

Biggus

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
Well played, sir.

But not so well played by you sir, PL goal clips aren't allowed here.

It's seems you're not any better a reader than you were a goalkeeper.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Biggus said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Well played, sir.

Sorry, didn't know that. But instead of talking about my maybe-not-so-great goalkeeping skills you might wanna respond to the actual post? The point I made was that you're being unfair in your criticism.

Biggus

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
Biggus said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Well played, sir.

Sorry, didn't know that. But instead of talking about my maybe-not-so-great goalkeeping skills you might wanna respond to the actual post? The point I made was that you're being unfair in your criticism.

Don't try to play the brave martyr that stood up to the tyranny of big bad Biggus, you're not a victim, just a naughty boy, you're as entitled to your own opinion as I am but I also have to uphold the rules of this forum.

I've been replying to such posts for a year trying to educate my fellow supporter's and I'm getting a little tired of it so will people please read....

Biggus said:
Blameless yes, he did have a good game,

Al had a solid game and indeed he's been our most consistent all season,(something to do with experience I think), he's a good keeper, but not a great one. He makes relative few mistakes but relatively few great saves, It has to do with his "very conservative sit back and wait and see" style.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Indeed Biggus, we're not going to get a silk-purse out of this one, a nice piece of leather perhaps. My word, he really does make that opposite arm thing look awkward though and for what's it worth I bought your explanation on that the first time I read it.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Biggus said:
Don't try to play the brave martyr that stood up to the tyranny of big bad Biggus, you're not a victim, just a naughty boy, you're as entitled to your own opinion as I am but I also have to uphold the rules of this forum.
I don't even know what that means. I said I was sorry for posting the link. I honestly had no clue it wasn't allowed. I haven't been here for long and thought I'd get by just by applying common sense when posting.

Biggus said:
I've been replying to such posts for a year trying to educate my fellow supporter's and I'm getting a little tired of it so will people please read....

Biggus said:
Blameless yes, he did have a good game,

Al had a solid game and indeed he's been our most consistent all season,(something to do with experience I think), he's a good keeper, but not a great one. He makes relative few mistakes but relatively few great saves, It has to do with his "very conservative sit back and wait and see" style.
It was more like the other ninetytwo percent of the quote that I responded to:
Biggus said:
but do you have nothing to say about my observation about Al's technical fault, his tendency to dive too quickly falling under the ball and then his need to try to reach back to compensate? Nothing he could have done about it? another contender for goal of the season? :lol:
I pointed out that it's not about any kind of technical fault at all. I don't know what tone you were going for in that post, but the laughing smiley at the end obviously didn't lessen the feeling that you were laughing at the claim that Almunia couldn't have done more to save the ball.

I do agree that he's one of our most consistent performers this season though.

AliBabaBrewer

I'm enjoying the Almunia ****-fest this season.

Everyone (Well, I say everyone..) seems to believe that he is all of a sudden worthy of being Arsenal's keeper. Last season, there were cries of 'Drop him, seriously, Lehmann should come back' almost every single game.

So far, everyone's been singing his praises, and with just cause. Not one goal conceded this season can you really say 'Wow, Almunia balls-ed that up'.

I can't really understand those who try and find faults in his performance though. He gets his job done when called upon. He's not an acrobat or superhuman. I'm sure you could find fault in the fact that he doesn't jump in an arching manner that could enable him to save a 30 yard lucky-shot with his kneecaps, but I've kept the faith in him, and he continues to be a good enough Arsenal keeper for me.

Biggus

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
I pointed out that it's not about any kind of technical fault at all. I don't know what tone you were going for in that post, but the laughing smiley at the end obviously didn't lessen the feeling that you were laughing at the claim that Almunia couldn't have done more to save the ball.

Don't put any emphasis on that, you misunderstand, It was in reference to something that was said earlier in the thread.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Biggus said:
Klaus Daimler said:

Don't put any emphasis on that, you misunderstand, It was in reference to something that was said earlier in the thread.
Oh. Sorry in that case.

Anzac

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
Indeed Biggus, we're not going to get a silk-purse out of this one, a nice piece of leather perhaps. My word, he really does make that opposite arm thing look awkward though and for what's it worth I bought your explanation on that the first time I read it.

Glad to see some others here have started to notice it - believe it or not it is still one of the many memories for me from 'that' game v B'ham!!!!

banduan

Established Member

Almunia 8 because he kept us in the game
Sagna 4 woeful and clueless, what happend Bacary?
Gallas 6 was alright though caught upfield often
Toure 5 was alright but a tad panicky
Clichy 6 attacked the ball, but held poorly
Walcott 7 our only bright spot at times
Cesc 6 good possessive play but no creativity
Song 4 clumsy, careless and lacked serious competitiveness
Denilson 5 still can't seem to tackle properly
RVP 6 out of position yet made good runs
Adebayor 4 our lone striker agonisingly drops deep

Bendy 8 great passing and opened them up
Nasri 5 boy's obviously not fit enough yet
Vela 5 on too short to impose himself

Wenger 3 wrong guy brought off, bad formation

Referee 4 poor calls all throughout, a homey

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom