• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Tottenham vs Arsenal | 29/10/05

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Re: Sp**s - Arsenal, Player ratings

dafish said:
campbell (9) even better than toure. i think i counted 3-4 last ditch tackles that saved us from being even more goals down. dominant in the air. mido never had a chance. too bad he was not marking king during the first half freekick

gilberto ( 8 ) i think gilberto was huge for us today. made a number of bruising tackles

bergkamp ( 7 ) i thought bergy did well. not sure what everyone was complaining about. the defenders often had hard time marking him. unfortunately like cesc. didn't do anything special to make it to a 8

no offence mate, but did you watch this match? you gave Sol a 9? Gilberto an 8? Bergkamp a 7??? these were 3 of our worst 4 players on the pitch... (Flamini being the other, and Cesc was useless in the first half, OK in the second)

wow, either you are VERY liberal with your ratings or you didnt see the same match the rest of us did....

_scorpion_

Established Member
Lehmann, Clichy and Toure were our best today.

Liked what Pires did and this backs the thought that the guy should be a 'super sub'.

Bergkamp has got no business starting as a striker in an away game. I've said this many times.

Reyes was out of sorts as striker and RVP did some interesting things when he came on but there was no end product.

Happy with the draw after the first half but in reality it shows how far we've slipped because in years gone by we would have owned the middle of the pitch.

jay-d

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
RVP did some interesting things when he came on but there was no end product.

I know you have been trying to make RVP out as average for a while but that comment is a joke. He drew probably the only saves from Robinson and changed our attack when he came on. No end product?? Yes he didn't score but he only had 20 mins or so and looked our most likely threat, did you see the whole game?

jay-d

Established Member
Re: Sp**s - Arsenal, Player ratings

USArsenal said:
dafish said:
campbell (9) even better than toure. i think i counted 3-4 last ditch tackles that saved us from being even more goals down. dominant in the air. mido never had a chance. too bad he was not marking king during the first half freekick

gilberto ( 8 ) i think gilberto was huge for us today. made a number of bruising tackles

bergkamp ( 7 ) i thought bergy did well. not sure what everyone was complaining about. the defenders often had hard time marking him. unfortunately like cesc. didn't do anything special to make it to a 8

no offence mate, but did you watch this match? you gave Sol a 9? Gilberto an 8? Bergkamp a 7??? these were 3 of our worst 4 players on the pitch... (Flamini being the other, and Cesc was useless in the first half, OK in the second)

wow, either you are VERY liberal with your ratings or you didnt see the same match the rest of us did....

Highlights are a great thing.

A

Anonymous

jay-d said:
_scorpion_ said:
RVP did some interesting things when he came on but there was no end product.

I know you have been trying to make RVP out as average for a while but that comment is a joke. He drew probably the only saves from Robinson and changed our attack when he came on. No end product?? Yes he didn't score but he only had 20 mins or so and looked our most likely threat, did you see the whole game?

Not to mention he had Robinson beat, it took a kick out to stop a definate goal. Unlike Reyes and Bergkamp, who together couldn't even work one chance.

Chips&CurrySauce

As we all know a totally shocking first half... What do you expect however when you have the 3 worst passers in the team forming the spine..Sol, Gilberto and Flamini.. You just can not play these 3 in the same side.. I don't balame Sol, he is an out and out defender, and Flamini is still young and atleast gives 100%.. Gilberto though was the worst of the lot, and he was shocking against Man City as well... Put this guy under any kind of pressure and his technique just can't cope with it.. Its been obvious to me for a long time but he is one of those players who seems to get away with it however woeful his performances are!!! World cup winner, invisible wall, and loads more bullshit to justify his substandard displays.. To be fair its not his fault, he just doesn't have the ability!!

We despertaly need a top class holding midfielder, who can also control the bal and pass, to play along side Cesc.. Once Pires came on and Cesc was moved into the middle we finally started to control the midfield, notwithstanding the invisibel man... We've got a good side but what we are lacking is a world class midfielder to play along side Cesc, and unless we buy such a player we should get used to our midfield being out fought and out passed!!!!

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Canuck said:
*sigh*
Yes Flamini was ineffective. Yes he should have come off because he didn't play well and he had the card which really had him hung for the match. Yes he gets too much stick.
Yes he looks good sometimes, bad sometimes.
(Rocky- Yes he can pass.)

Anyone with a half decent pair of mince pies can see that Flamini is a very average player. And no he cant pass. Have you not watched us play this season?

What does he offer to our team apart from running around a lot clattering into people and giving away free kicks?

What has he actually contributed this season?

Did you see boro away, wba away and city at home? All games in which he did nothing and was terrible.

He is getting a lot of stick because he is not good enough - simple as that. You cant fault his effort, he just lacks ability.

He got a lot of stick at the game aswell on Sat from people around me, I guess we must all be clueless eh?

What pisses me off about this situation is that he is our third choice midfielder when he is obviously not good enough. As fourth choice he would be fine, but as our only option to replace Cesc and Gilberto (both hardly world beaters) is a stupid situation to find ourselves.

And leave the *sigh* bollocks out eh?

Allyboy

Established Member
He is Ray Parlour without the skill. :wink:

Top bloke for the effort he puts in, but he is just a messy destructive ball winner and while there is a time and a place for a player like that, he shouldnt be getting in the first team of a side with title and Champions League aspirations, and if Wenger wants to play 451 again (which I hope he doesnt!) he would get in.

I like the guy, he tries his best but he is very limited.

In general our midfield is in painful need of some drive and punch from the central positions.

Its a shame Gerrard didnt go to Chelsea as we could have had Essien then, he would have worked very well in our system.

Still nothing we can do till January and even then there is only so much which can be done.....

Allyboy

Established Member
Oh and I agree with James, Toure was excellent, im not sure what other games people were watching, I would have had Clichy in ahead of him as man of the match.

Theres actually a thread on the official Arsenal forum called Flamini v Fabregas and half the people on there reckon Flamini is going to be world class while Cesc will struggle to make it!

I does make you wonder where people get their opinions from, Cesc isnt doing as well this year but frankly im amazed the kid isnt knackered, hes only just turned 18 and he must have over 50 appearences for us, or at least be very close to it!

Fabregas will be a star one day, Flamini will always be a journeyman player in the Grimandi type role.

I know he had a great game against Chelsea last year but Lampard is notorious for underperforming against us (one decent half of football in 5 years as a Chelsea player against us!) and Makelele had an off day.

Give the guy credit, but Phil Neville played Vieira off the pitch in December 2002 but that doesnt make him world class either!

James

Established Member
Allyboy said:
Oh and I agree with James, Toure was excellent, im not sure what other games people were watching, I would have had Clichy in ahead of him as man of the match.
Was a close call between the two, both were excellent.

Canuck

Established Member
And leave the *sigh* bollocks out eh?
Actually the sigh was one of true regret rather than sarcasm. I'm dissapointed. I want to see him do better because I know he can do better. Surely I haven't seen as much of Flamini playing this season as you have. Perhaps I've seen a touch or two more of Flamini playing before we signed him and saw a couple of the performances that led Wenger to track him. I really am not going to argue about his potential. I will tell you that he is perfectly capable of passing.
I will also admit that he has not proven he is good enough first team for us and that he is purely cover at the moment. Perhaps he'll never be first team. Perhaps Wenger will buy someone and Flamini will be 4th choice and will sit and sub and move on in a couple seasons (I know how it would break your hearts) But knowing that the staff at L'OM saw something in him, and Wenger saw something in him, and even Henry (in a good-naturedly reassuring way) had a good word about him. I'm not embarassed to say that I think he's a good young player.
Why doesn't he ever get to use the old "not adapting to the Premiership" bit eh?

RammiXP

Chips&CurrySauce said:
As we all know a totally shocking first half... What do you expect however when you have the 3 worst passers in the team forming the spine..Sol, Gilberto and Flamini.. You just can not play these 3 in the same side.. I don't balame Sol, he is an out and out defender, and Flamini is still young and atleast gives 100%.. Gilberto though was the worst of the lot, and he was shocking against Man City as well... Put this guy under any kind of pressure and his technique just can't cope with it.. Its been obvious to me for a long time but he is one of those players who seems to get away with it however woeful his performances are!!! World cup winner, invisible wall, and loads more bullshit to justify his substandard displays.. To be fair its not his fault, he just doesn't have the ability!!

I am 100% with you and your the first person to bring this point off. He simply gets away with his woeful performances. Had his performance on sat been Flamini people would have been calling for his head to be chopped off. Gilberto is a worry to me at the moment as he should be setting example and being a player we can rely on and in my opinion he is becoming a liability.

RammiXP

RockyRocastle said:
Canuck said:
*sigh*
Yes Flamini was ineffective. Yes he should have come off because he didn't play well and he had the card which really had him hung for the match. Yes he gets too much stick.
Yes he looks good sometimes, bad sometimes.
(Rocky- Yes he can pass.)

Anyone with a half decent pair of mince pies can see that Flamini is a very average player. And no he cant pass. Have you not watched us play this season?

What does he offer to our team apart from running around a lot clattering into people and giving away free kicks?

What has he actually contributed this season?

How about a great interception against ajax to lead to our first goal??

How about his total commitment and never give up attidude that was shown against Man city and was one of 3 players that looked like they were bothered?

You really do get me aggravated when you post on this subject! he is 22? he was not meant to be starting games he has been put in the deep end and expectations on him are far to high.

I so hope he comes back to prove you wrong because i see a quality in Flamini which you don't get from many players anymore and that commitment and passion to try his best. I say look at wigan and what those qualities have done for that team. His attidude is great and i hope he prospers and becomes a solid team player for us.

Rammi

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom