• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player ratings vs Blackpool

Man of the Match?

• Theo Walcott

Votes: 81 77.9%
  • Tomas Rosicky

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Andrei Arshavin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marouane Chamakh

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sabret00the

Established Member
Diaby isn't a DM, that hasn't changed. He's stood in and done the job without complaint and that should be commended.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
He's done really well. Sure he takes a touch too many at times and doesn't spot a pass but he's got an awful lot in his locker that proves very useful for our side.

I was particularly impressed by his performance at Anfield where he showed great discipline positionally and on the ball. He enjoyed himself v Blackpool, went forward much more and contributed to 2 goals.

ricky1985

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
ricky1985 said:
Diaby - 6. Good goal, little else.

Wilshere - 8. Passed impeccably, tackled well, pressed prodigiously, and made some great forward runs. Little genius.
You're on a massive anti-Diaby binge at the moment Ricky. I know he takes a while to release the ball and doesn't always make the best decisions, but what did he do to deserve a rating two lower than Wilshere?
I didn't think there was much in it either, until I watched the game again, paying very close attention.

Jack was just better in everything he did. His movement to make himself available to receive the pass, his movement in the final third, his passing through the lines, his range of passing, his tackling, his defensive positioning, his intercepting. He was just better.

Diaby wasn't exactly poor, but a couple of decisive moments in the final third were as good as it got. Everything I just described that Jack did well, Diaby did no better than averagely, and in some cases poorly. He barely made a tackle, his positioning was very suspect, constantly taking himself out of the game as a passing option or playing the wrong pass at the wrong speed, or to the wrong player.

On the face of it their performances appeared similar, but I'd like for one of you guys who disagree with me to watch the game again, paying close attention to those two, and then let me know if they still see it the same way.

I am going a little overboard with my Diaby criticism, BW, I'm genuinely trying not to, but I've watched a bit of ATVO lately and watching the goals we have conceded in the last few years, you start to notice a trend with the same players constantly at the centre when it goes wrong. Even as recently as against Liverpool, for example, Diaby let his man go twice from set-pieces, that could have been the game right there - and it's a recurring theme. Yet, he got generally positive reviews after the game, I love to hear any Arsenal player get praise, really I do, but he's a liability and it will cost us, just as it has in the past, when it really matters.

Y va marquer

Established Member
I’ve only watched the game once so I obviously haven’t studied it in as much detail as Ricky but even on first watch impression Diaby was the player who impressed me the least.

Yes I know he scored a goal, and he took it well, but my clearest recollections of him in Saturday’s game are those of him charging past the halfway line then pausing, dithering, dwelling on the ball and looking unsure of which forward passing option to choose.

He doesn’t have the speed of thought or the instinctive ability to pick out the right pass when moving forward so he often runs the risk of squandering possession.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Fair enough Ricky, I haven't re-watched the match intently (don't have a static copy of it), so I'll defer to your intensive research on the subject. But I'll be keeping my eye out.

I'm probably overcompensating a little for Abou in the sphere of opinion, because I'd really like to see him continue to improve and become a key player for us.

ricky1985

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
Fair enough Ricky, I haven't re-watched the match intently (don't have a static copy of it), so I'll defer to your intensive research on the subject. But I'll be keeping my eye out.

I'm probably overcompensating a little for Abou in the sphere of opinion, because I'd really like to see him continue to improve and become a key player for us.
I'd love nothing more, mate. I just think it's extremely unlikely, and in the meanwhile his concentration lapses and the deficiencies in his game are/will really cost us.

I know that can be said of nearly all of our players btw, I just feel they're more regular and serious/damaging in Abou's case.

Rohit

Established Member
Diaby is one of the most infuriating player i have ever seen.

He has the physical attributes and has so much ability for a player of his size but his poor awareness and poor decision making are really letting him down.

Humble Rex

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Diaby isn't a DM, that hasn't changed. He's stood in and done the job without complaint and that should be commended.

To be honest I think "the DM part" in these two games have been great from Diaby. When on the pitch neither Pool nor Pool had a free run at our back four, he tackled well, intercepted passes, and kept his game more simple than usual, which the role requires. By more simple I mean he mostly played easy passes to retain possession.

hesham

Established Member
Agree - Diaby played well in the game imo, i still believe if he is going to make it here it will be in a role similar to what has been playing in the last 2 games... he has all the qualites to develop his defensive side of the game which is underated imo and attack wise he's the ultimate counter attacking weapon & will always score goals

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Diaby has had virtually no pre- season give the guy a break . He has done well enough in the last two games .

He'll get better I don't have a doubt about that .

I don't like this blame game rubbish but fact is Diaby hasn't cost us but Wilshere has . I don't hear anyone going on and on about that and rightly so , so cut Diaby some slack about something that might happen in the future .

asajoseph

Established Member
A brief set of reviews...

Almunia - 6 - nothing to do (though did boot it straight out of play for no reason once, but not really a big deal).

Clichy - 8 - Beaten in the air once, but huge number of interceptions on the left, and provided us good shape going forward.
Vermaelen - 8 - Hardly challenged, but was perfect in everything he did. Don't remember him losing a header.
Song - 5 - Not tested at all after Blackpool had a player sent off, and pushed forward towards the end, but constantly got pulled out of position when Blackpool did attack, and created a poor line. Showed why he should not be an option at CB
Sagna - 6.5 - Like Song, improved massively when Blackpool stopped attacking, allowing him to make a nice assist, as well as one moment when he raced back the full length of the pitch to beat a Blackpool player to a long ball. But gave his winger too much space for most of the first half, got caught out of position, and struggled with Song inside him.

Diaby - 7 - Holds onto the ball for too long, but his ability to hold onto the ball in tight situations remains an asset. Nice goal.
Wilshere - 7 - Tidy, and good vision and range of passing, unlucky not to score. I know Arsène's deliberately playing him further back, but I really want to see what he can do closer to the opposition goal.
Rosicky - 8 - A driving influence in the final third, passing, moving, direct and accelerating our play. Like to see him a bit more clinical and composed with his shooting, but overall a very good performance.

Theo - 10 - Created space for himself by beating his man with combinations of skill and pace. Savvy in the box, three good finishes, and great awareness that should have earned him at least a couple of assists, had other's finished better
Arshavin - 8 - Looked a bit mixed for the first 20 minutes, but it took a replay to realise how good he was for the first goal, at which point he really came to life.

Chamakh - 7 - Mixed performance - Running, industry, directness and positioning were all plusses, as was his headed goal. Technique and finishing looks a little way off at times though, and he needs to work on linking up better with his teammates.

Anzac

Established Member
celestis said:
Diaby has had virtually no pre- season give the guy a break . He has done well enough in the last two games .

He'll get better I don't have a doubt about that .

I don't like this blame game rubbish but fact is Diaby hasn't cost us but Wilshere has . I don't hear anyone going on and on about that and rightly so , so cut Diaby some slack about something that might happen in the future .

Only in regard to the 2 matches this season = IMO Diaby's lack of positional / defensive discipline has resulted in Wilshere taking on the mantle of the majority of defensive duties between the 2 - at 18 yrs of age v Diaby's 24 = who is developing who???? Perhaps if Wilshere didn't need to be so deep to compensate the error may not have happened?

Many people slam Al for the result A v B'ham last season & see that as the nail in our season coffin - IMO the fault lies with Diaby 2-3 times over BEFORE it gets to Al - free kick given away(????), failure to head the incoming free kick when under no pressure; failure to track Phillips (who 'won' the ball when Diaby missed it)......

IMO this is Diaby's last chance season to nail a starting spot (along with others). Next season AW is likely to release Rosicky re his age & to free up playing opportunities for the latest 16 yr old wonder kid he's signed, but I'd rther have Rosicky ahead of Diaby or Denilson at any given time. Hell for that matter I'd rather have kept Eduardo.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Anzac said:
Perhaps if Wilshere didn't need to be so deep to compensate the error may not have happened?
Clutching at straws as far as that specific error is concerned. You might as well make up a similar argument to excuse Diaby's faults at Birmingham.

If Diaby rather than Wilshere had been the one to make that particular mistake, he'd have been crucified by Arsenal-Mania posters. That's fair enough, because Jack's eighteen and Abou's not, but let's not pretend it wasn't a costly, silly error.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Anzac , Wilshere is playing deep because he is intructed by Aw to do so . He has said so himself .

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom