• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Post Match Discussions and Ratings: Aston Villa vs Arsenal

Motm?

• Chamakh

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arshavin

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • Nasri

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

flobaba

Great result.

Some great football in patches, but still looked uncertain defensively. Happy with the win though. WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE BOYS! (Enjoy it while it lasts!!!)

Fabianski- 7 - Solid. Nothing he could do about either goal, especially the first with the obstruction and all that.

Kolscieny - 7.5 - Won almost everything in the air against Carew. Wasn't outmuscled on the ground balls either.

Skid - 7.5 - Good game today. Was also strong at the back. Did his job, quietly and effectively.

Sagna - 8 - Rocky. Crucial interceptions, Vital Tackles, Great cross which produced a great header from Chamakh and save from Friedel. Should be Captain!!

Clichy - 7.5 - Solid. Almost as good as Sagna - ;)

Wilshere - 6.5 - Average game. But he worked hard all day and perhaps for that, deserved his goal.

Song - 5.5 - Tired of him going AWOL and Walkabout when we need him to do the basic things right, and be a steady screen for our defence, and cornerstone of our midfield.

NaNaNaNasri- 8 - Great performance, Great goal. Tires a bit too quickly, but he was sparkling today. Only consistently good player in our attacking ranks for now.

Rosicky - 7 - Also had a good game, was always probing and searching, and trying to make things happen. Put in a decent defensive shift too. Got the assist for the 3rd goal if I'm not mistaken.

Arshavin - 8.5 (MOTM)- Back to his best? The Russian enigma was in the mood today. Worked hard, got a wonderful goal to end his 'drought' and an assist. This is what we want to see Arshavin, keep it up.

Chamakh - 0.5 + 8 - Also had a very good game. Showed once again why he's totally out of Bendtner's class as a lone forward. Never let the Villa defence take a breather, got a goal and an assist. Not bad for half of a great striker.

Subs:
Denilson - 6.5 - Came on, did his Denilson thing.

Gibbs - 6 - Nothing to do really. Might have got a goal if Wilshere had given a better pass to leave him one on one with Friedel.

Djourou - 5 - Won a header.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! :shock: 8)) :D

flobaba

AnthonyG said:
Lol. He played? Totally forgot.

Edit- Could we do the poll thing for MOTM nominees? I think I like polls - Sagna, Chamakh, Nasri, Arshavin.

When 4 different players put up standout performances like we've seen today, I think Wenger's team full of leaders talk is almost justifiable. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often enough.

MAK 14

Established Member
Koscielny was a beast today. Think he should definitely be included in the poll.

Great performance overall, really crucial win. Arshavin was definitely the man of the match for me.

Humble Rex

Established Member
Add a 7 for Clichy and I agree with flobaba.

Worth noting that Song, again, lost Clark in the box for their second. Why, when we are 2 up does he insist on making stupid forward runs? Mindblowingly stupid, especially when you consider that Arshavin was playing at AM in the 2nd half.

Speaking of Arshavin, best performance of the season from him. Certainly MOTM. First time I think that he has played in that AM role?

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Fabianski 6 - Not much he could do

Sagna 7 - Solid
Squillaci 7 - Solid
Koscielny 8 - Weird but good. An admittedly half fit Carew was nowhere
Clichy 6 - Not that bad

Song 6 - Powerful performance but his rushes simply have to stop, he's leaving huge gaps even though he's playing well otherwise
Wilshere 7.5 - Good goal, good celebration, good game, good lad
Rosicky 8 - Great performance although he faded a bit in the second half

Arshavin 9 - Top class performance
Chamakh 8 - He's growing, great game for him
Nasri 8 - The dog's bollocks

Defensive organisation 4 - Good players but they're not doing it right.

Timleaf

Established Member
Fab-6

Clichy-5
Kos-6.5
Squid-6.5
Sagna-7

Song-4
Wilshere-6
Rosicky-6.5

Arshavin-8.5
Chamakh-8
Nasri-7.5

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think we were more direct in portions of today than we have been for wa while. I actually think that part of that is Fabregas not being here.

There is a passing hierarchy at Arsenal and when Cesc is playing he is at the top of it even when he isn't positioned best. I think the over reliance on him causes us to be less creative in general relying on him for us to be creative.

When he isn't playing all the creative players are on an equal level. This means interchanging is more effective.

Plus points -

Good grit to win
Some very nice portions of play
Arshavin had a good game

Bad points -

That old pass sideways outside the box problem crept in numerous times and Wilshere was the main culprit I feel.

We can't defend against players that are 6'0+ most of the time in the air.

Fabianski - 6.5 - Had nothing to do really, wasn't at fault for the goals
Sagna - 7 - good performance overall, our most consistent player
Squilacci - 6.5 - Marking wasn't the best on corners
Koscielny - 6.5 - Same as Squil
Clichy - 6 - Should have closed down for Villa's first goal instead of going in the opposite direction (ARRRGGHJHHGERGRG?!?!!?!?!!?)
Song - 6.5 - Meh
Wilshere - 7 - Nice goal, wasn't very influential, could have been Denilson and result would have been the same
Rosicky - 7.5 - Nice passing and creativity
Arshavin - 8.5 - MOTM - Great passing in parts, some great runs and a nice goal plus assist
Nasri - 8 - Great goal, pretty good overall
Chamakh - 8 - Good goal, was a threat at times. Could have scored again if Friedel didn't have as good reactions

Subs -

Gibbs - He was really poor IMO when he came on even though he didn't have much to do
Denilson - Shot lead to 4th goal.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Fabianski 7 - Had a brilliant palm away that Al wouldn't get to, otherwise nothing he could really do.
Sagna 7
Squillaci 7
Koscielny 7
Clichy 6
Song 6
Wilshere 8
Rosicky 8
Arshavin 10 - Best single performance this season of any arsenal player
Chamakh 8
Nasri 8

flobaba

Kroket said:
Wilshere 7.5 - Good goal, good celebration, good game, good lad
Yup. I think he deserves extra credit for his badge kissing too. Ah, plus The goodladness factor must never be overlooked either. ;)
Defensive organisation 4 - Good players but they're not doing it right.
Lol. Indeed. D.O. just wasn't at the races today again. But we got away with it. I just decided not to rate him at all!
MAK 14 said:
Koscielny was a beast today. Think he should definitely be included in the poll.
Perhaps, but I'm Pontius Pilate in this thread. ;)

Humble Rex

Established Member
Yeah, I should have mentioned that IMO part of why we look much sharper and direct in our passing is down to that a Cesc at 70% is NOT a better option than Rosicky in that AM role. Offensively we also looked extremely good with Shava in that role, but it makes us even weaker through the center defensively.

russkiegooner

Fabianski- 7 - Did nothing wrong.

Kolscieny - 7 - Good overall.

Skid - 7 -Idem.

Sagna - 7 - Solid, but several positional errors that could have been costly.

Clichy - 5 - Another costly mistake. What was he doing for the first goal?

Wilshere - 7 (+1 for the goal) - Decent, but could have done better. Well taken goal.

Song - 5 - Patchy. I'm very worried about the change of his role in the team. I think he's a good DM but a very average AM at best. And he tries to play like an AM this season.

Nasri- 7.5 - Thought he was a bit of a mixed bag today, but magnificent (albeit somewhat lucky) goal.

Rosicky - 7 - Pretty good overall. Brilliant stuff for the third goal.

Arshavin - 8 (MOTM). A bit wasteful at times, but was everywhere today.

Chamakh - 8 - Well taken goal, good assist to Jack and excellent workrate overall.

Subs:
Denilson - 7 - Did precisely what he needed to.

Gibbs - 5 - Did precisely the opposite.

Djourou - N/A

Great result.

Yaya

Established Member
Fabianski-6
Clichy-5
Squillaci-6.5
Kos-6.5
Sagna-6
Song-4
wilshere-6.5
rosicky-6.5
Arshavin-8
Chamakh-7.5
Nasri-7

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Going forward our top 3 were excellent, and il include Rosicky in that too, looked a threat going forward and dominated their midfield, although Ireland seemed to get them back in it when he came on. Worried about Clichy though, although the lineo/Ref had as much blame in the 1st goal, if Clichy attacked that ball it woulnt have happened.

Best ive seen Shava play for a good handfull of games. Nasri doesnt need any more praise from me, hes just sublime for us and is #1 name of the team sheet at the moment.

But the refs need sorting out, allowing their 1st to stand is a travesty, Carew knew he was blocking Fabianski's line of sight, and i dont think they'd have scored if he wasnt infront of him. Although i dont want to get start on Clichy attacking that ball to begin with...

Y va marquer

Established Member
Shava was definitely the best player on the pitch today.
Superb. He was involved in almost all of our positive productive moves.
Chamakh and Nasri were excellent too, all goals well taken and they worked hard, linked well.
I thought Rozza had a good if unspectacular game, it's a shame that the ability to hit the target has completely deserted him.
Jack looked better than he did against Braga, delighted that he's registered his first PL goal for us.
Song just looks reckless to me these days.
Squillaci, Kos and Sagna looked good and even though people have criticised Clichy off the top of my head I can't remember him making any horrendous errors.
I'm happy that Kos got a solid game in as I was concerned about his confidence of late.
Fab didn't have a lot to do and I don't think he can be faulted for the goals conceded.

Given the games that preceded it this was an eccellent result.
The weaknesess that saw us cave in against Sp**s and Braga haven't gone away.
We still conceded too easily and went walk about mentally in the second half but we were strong enough in attack to compensate.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Fabianski........6.....not much to do really.

Sagna..........7.5......usual solid self in defence.
Squillaci.......6
Koscielny........6.....some good moments but was also killed by Dunne in the air twice at the end, once for their 2nd goal and once when it luckily dropped into Fabianski's arms with 3 Villa players waiting.
Clichy.........7....bit sloppy once but made alot of interceptions aswell.

Song........6....average as usual.
Jack.........7.....reliable in the CM role, kept things ticking over. Looked more alive late on when he was moved to AM.
Rosicky.........7....good assist for Chamakh.

Nasri.........8.....class. Great goal, could have scored another and raped Dunne in the second half which was funny.
Chamakh........8.......solid as ever in terms of hold-up and link-up. Still needs to get more shots away but can't argue with a goal and an assist.
Arshavin........9.....MOTM....best game in an Arsenal shirt. Involved in pretty much every good thing we did.

giuliob

Fabianski - 7
Sagna - 6.5
Squillaci - 6.5
Kos - 7
Song - 6
Jack - 6.5
Nasri - 7.5
Roz - 7
AA - 8
Chamakh - 7.5

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom