• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2012/2013: Race for the Top-4

squallkid

Established Member
pl2.jpg

New season is about a month away.

As we bid goodbye to Blackburn,Wolves and Bolton, we welcome Reading Southampton and West Ham.

Difficult start in terms of our fixtures, new players have come in and we might even see a few of our poorer players leave.

Fixture list - http://www.arsenal.com/fixtures/fixtures-reports

Premier league website- http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb.html

I know I'm sticking my neck out with the title and leaving myself open to a lot of laughter if we start the season badly or end up finishing 5th but if we don't have hope then we haven't got much.

I might edit the title throughout the season to reflect how we're doing but for now we are top of the league :wink:

leo_ense

Established Member
Re: Premier League 2012/2013: Race for the title

Always go into the season hoping to win, otherwise sports is just boring. Still I think it's too early to be making predictions as we aren't even close to seeing how final squads for teams will look.

Bossa

Established Member

I guess that the title needs to be changed in october.

US_Gooner

Established Member

Excited to see the new guys.

18 Aug seems a long way off right now.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Wasn't the title intentionally left blank last season, squall?

Can't remember if we did poll for this or not. Not saying we'll win (not saying we won't :wink: ), but I think we'll still be in it after Christmas anyway.

squallkid

Established Member

It was left blank last season because I made it in October and by then it was too late for even my blind optimism to put it as race for the title and I also wanted people to draw their own optimistic or pessimistic views on what we were fighting for in the league.

At that time no one could have really predicted the race for 3rd. The last one didn't have a poll but a poll for this one with the lowest option being 5th would be nice :) .

I made the thread title the race for the title in light of all the recent van persie and usmanov news.

Figured it might give some fans a glimmer of optimism before the season or something to smile at.

future heroes

I think that the poll should wait until August. We will have a better picture of the team (players, transfers, injuries etc) after the pre season.

A lot can change between now and our first PL game.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Well before Van Persie decided to bend of over and screw us I actually hoped we'd be in the mix for the title (similar to 07 08).

But now it will depend on what Wenger does and how we progress. We still have a decent base, both Poldi and Giroud are good strikers, a few more additions and I think we can trouble the top.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse

RVP or not, I still think we will be in the mix but we shall have a much better idea after our first 6 fixtures which throw up some real tasty clashes against some of the big boys. I would say that by the middle of October we should have a decent idea whether this team can mount a challenge or not.

kopzilla

Always Negative

I expect us to struggle early on like last season. Probably our pre season will give us an idea of how good we are.

I guess it'll be another 2 horse race between City and Utd for the title.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

As always if it's involve Arsenal, being pessimist actually makes feeling happy easier than being optimist.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member

Really feel we are missing one or twos pieces to the puzzle before we can become a real threat to the title holders ..

iced22

Eh, hard to judge each teams fortunes in early/mid July. Still lots that could happen.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible

I expect Chelsea and the Manchester teams to make it a three-horse race. It's early days yet and plenty can happen until August 31st but I think we'll comfortably grab fourth place behind those three teams.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I can't wait, don't care about Robin now, looking forward to seeing players that want to play for the club.

ModelGooner

Harambe Loyalist

If we get a quality replacement for Robin, i think we could be a wildcard.

fabo

6.51 / 10

4th most likely.

Unsure about Chelsea as it is though, don't think they'll be a level ahead of us with the current squad. See if they add any more.

United/City certainly top 2.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

dka91 said:
Well before Van Persie decided to bend of over and screw us I actually hoped we'd be in the mix for the title (similar to 07 08).

But now it will depend on what Wenger does and how we progress. We still have a decent base, both Poldi and Giroud are good strikers, a few more additions and I think we can trouble the top.
Agree with this. The thought of RVP, Podolski, Walcott, Giroud and Gervinho had me salivating. Now without RVP (if things go that way) it paints a picture of more doom as we need the two new strikers to really hit the ground running. Obviously, I hope, if RVP goes we will sign new players to strengthen the core team and this should make us stronger.

To answer the question
Favourites: Man City
Second favourite: Chelsea
NEXT: Us, Man Utd and Sp**s.

Hopefully AVB continues where he left off at Chelsea, though I cannot see it, Man Utd need to strengthen as I believe Fergie was the only reason they challenged and Chelsea once again have strengthened though the loss of Drogba needs to be factored in.

Its gonna be tight and whoever gets their nose in front at the start will have difficulty keeping it there.

Arsenal Quotes

The match will be shown on Match of the Day later this evening and if you don't want to know the result look away now as we show you Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal.

Steve Rider
Top Bottom