• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss Premier League: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa | Sunday 14th April | KO: 16:30 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLArsenalAstonVilla2122.jpg

Prediction

Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa

Black240

I thought we looked knackered, even in the 1st half. Given the run of games ahead, that situation will only get worse unless we rotate. Yet the upcoming games will need our best players. This, I think, is the difference between us and City, ridiculous strength in depth.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
It was the 2nd half performance I found frustrating. It felt like we just decided to take our foot off the gas. It so unlike any performance in this calendar year that it was a bit shocking.
I reckon someone tried to strangle Zinny in the dressing room at half time and it all kicked off.

Joking aside, it’s very rare you see Saka annoyed with one of his teammates as in that moment Zinny kicked the ball out.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Order of games that have seemingly cost us the title...

1. 2-0 loss v Villa
2. 2-2 draw v Fulham
3. 2-0 loss v West Ham
4. 2-1 loss v Fulham
5. 2-2 draw v Sp**s

...as good as the second half of the season has been, it had to be because the first half was quite poor really.

Barely playing very well, weird tactical and team choices, couldn't hold a lead v 10 man Fulham and the embarrassment v West Ham and after we lost to Pool in the cup and lost 2 in a row it geniunely felt like out season was finished.

Credit to them for getting back into it, but in the end for what...to just eventually break our hearts again?

At some point we have to win something, otherwise all the good work these last few years is for nothing.
The season isn't over but many were saying that the plodding play and experiments in the first half of the season was to give us a plan B and stronger finish in the second half....So far, that's not playing out but I hope those guys are proved right.

Menard

This blokes kind of annoying but I think his analysis is pretty spot on as far as what happened in the second half. Also their first goal in retrospect reflects EXTREMELY poorly on Martinelli.

El Realista

The season isn't over but many were saying that the plodding play and experiments in the first half of the season was to give us a plan B and stronger finish in the second half....So far, that's not playing out but I hope those guys are proved right.
They said the same last season when he experimented with Partey RB and then bottled the title as a result. The guy can't deal with leading the league without sabotaging himself overcomplicating football.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Disagree. Once Saliba engages Torres leaving him free, Rice has to look over his shoulder and see what’s behind him instead of ball watching.

Why is our LB operating in the RB area 😭 😭 😭 😭

Imagine leaving a player like Bailey free in the box when we're defending deep.

Menard

Disagree. Once Saliba engages Torres leaving him free, Rice has to look over his shoulder and see what’s behind him instead of ball watching.

I mean or Martinelli could just see that our defense is entirely out of sorts, everybody is out of position, and make one sprint back to cover the man on Rice's back side. Poor split second decisions from both of them tbh.

Reactions: A_G

Menard

Why is our LB operating in the RB area 😭 😭 😭 😭

Imagine leaving a player like Bailey free in the box when we're defending deep.

Uhh because he was just defending the near post from a corner, and we didn't have time to reset? Pretty basic, unless your just being wilfully obtuse to get in some digs. Gabby and Saliba were also on their opposite sides which contributed to the ball not getting cut out. If Saliba is at the near post instead of Gabby I'm 99% sure he just swings a right boot at it.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Uhh because he was just defending the near post from a corner, and we didn't have time to reset? Pretty basic, unless your just being wilfully obtuse to get in some digs. Gabby and Saliba were also on their opposite sides which contributed to the ball not getting cut out. If Saliba is at the near post instead of Gabby I'm 99% sure he just swings a right boot at it.

I don't know man, I like my LB to ya, know; operate primarily in the LB area when we're defending.

Menard

You understand that players take up positions during set pieces that they normally wouldn't hold during open play right? Like set pieces are something totally different to open play defending? Positioning your back 4 for corners in the exact static positions they would normally defend from is something absolutely no teams do. This is like football 101 stuff mate, kind of embarrassing for you not to understand that.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Many are saying that we should have taken our chances and I agree. Where I disagree is that we can't think that way when we don't have a single clinical forward on our books. Being the top scorers shouldn't distract from that issue.
@Makingtrax table shows we are the most clinical side in the PL. Thats why we are top scorers, if everyone scored at their xG level, we would be 6th on the scoring list. Whilst i agree a top striker could be beneficial in those tough games where its tight and there is minimal chances, or the ball is just struggling to find the net, I think the top priority should be to increase our chance creation.

Diesel

Do you guys think this team has it in them to go again next season after throwing it away twice? OR will it need a rebuild?
Rebuild for a team where our best player is 22? I think this iteration of the team just gets keeps getting tinkered and upgraded. Could see a zinny and another roster player being moved.

Mudi

Reflecting back to the game: Arteta made some very strange decisions. He abandoned our stable formation and went full imbalanced team to rest Kiwior/Tomi, Jorginho and Martinelli.
Instead of having a controlled game, he played against the strength of Villa (open end to end games). Why on earth would you do that?

First of all, Rice-Jorginho midfield is working well because it gives stability to the midfield.
If you were gonna play the high line of Villa with through balls, he should have def. played Jorginho who is a master of finding the space deep in the half. Instead he relied on Zinchenko who forgets its responsibilities as a defender because he wanted to become Jorginho.
Furthermore he played Trossard on the wing although he required pace. Trossard is an excellent sub or a great starter against teams that sits deep. Villa on the other hand came to play so Martinelli or Jesus was the right name for the left side.
Last but not least, Zinchenko should not play anymore. No overlaps, continuous asking the ball on its feet yet not able to do anything. Defensively so poor and making Gabriel so nervous as his performance also drops.

Arteta had the game of Bayern on its mind that he forgot to prepare the team for the game against Villa. Ironically we may be out of both competition in a span of a week due to wrong management. 51 weeks of preparation comes down to 1 week ...

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
@Makingtrax table shows we are the most clinical side in the PL. Thats why we are top scorers, if everyone scored at their xG level, we would be 6th on the scoring list. Whilst i agree a top striker could be beneficial in those tough games where its tight and there is minimal chances, or the ball is just struggling to find the net, I think the top priority should be to increase our chance creation.

That goes without saying. We’ll increase our chance creation level or at least try and maintain it, as we look to add more attacking patterns to our Arsenal (pardon the pun).

But, a clinical finisher for tight moment is absolutely needed. We saw again against Villa that those direct balls for Kai, are converted by someone like Isak. It’s those key moments that secures the points at a crucial time of the season.

Next season we need to be improved in this department, if we want to beat City.

Haphazard

Reflecting back to the game: Arteta made some very strange decisions. He abandoned our stable formation and went full imbalanced team to rest Kiwior/Tomi, Jorginho and Martinelli.
Instead of having a controlled game, he played against the strength of Villa (open end to end games). Why on earth would you do that?

First of all, Rice-Jorginho midfield is working well because it gives stability to the midfield.
If you were gonna play the high line of Villa with through balls, he should have def. played Jorginho who is a master of finding the space deep in the half. Instead he relied on Zinchenko who forgets its responsibilities as a defender because he wanted to become Jorginho.
Furthermore he played Trossard on the wing although he required pace. Trossard is an excellent sub or a great starter against teams that sits deep. Villa on the other hand came to play so Martinelli or Jesus was the right name for the left side.
Last but not least, Zinchenko should not play anymore. No overlaps, continuous asking the ball on its feet yet not able to do anything. Defensively so poor and making Gabriel so nervous as his performance also drops.

Arteta had the game of Bayern on its mind that he forgot to prepare the team for the game against Villa. Ironically we may be out of both competition in a span of a week due to wrong management. 51 weeks of preparation comes down to 1 week ...
I do agree the management was wrong but last year we were complaining that Arteta doesn't rotate enough, I think he started Zinchenko for this reason, I think if Tomi and/or Timber are fit he starts them over Zinny no questions asked.

There is honestly not much Arteta can do if Jesus fluffs his lines and Zinny's defensive positioning is horrendous. I'm quite certain Arteta is letting both go this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom