• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Realistic Transfer Talk Is Delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabret00the

Established Member
So getting on with things, how do you feel about the squad the media are stating that we're trying to make?

Lehmann
-- Carson

Eboue // Toure // Senderos // Clichy
-- Gilbert // Djourou // Gallas // Traore

Hleb // Fabregas // Gilberto // Rosicky
-- Robinho // Denilson // Diaby // Ribery

van Persie // Eto'o
-- Walcott // Adebayor // Aliadiere

I personally believe that it's better than our current squad by a mile. Then again i would personally prefer to see Denilson getting as many starts as Gilberto next season and of course Ribery would be a choice ahead of Rosicky and understand that nope. i don't understand the Robinho attraction in the slightest but this thread is compiled of what seems to actually have substance in the press.

Can i just state that 14Teranga, Jay-D and Gooner T will probably have babies because due to this thread mentioning Henry not being at the club, oh noes. But this isn't anything to do with desire, it's just a thread subscribing to what appears to be grounded speculation.

Mark

Established Member
Better by a mile? I'm not so sure. Gilbert surely isn't much better than Hoyte, Ribery and Robinho I'm not too keen on, but Carson would be excellent backup, and Eto'o is of course exciting. Not sure how likely this all is, but a good topic nevertheless.

Alfonso

Established Member
What has Ribery and Robinho done this season that warrants a move to Arsenal?

What has Robinho actually done in football. Name me 5 things please. He has got to be the most overrated player of the past 5 years for sure..

Because from this player i see nothing. Dwells on the ball too long, slow reactions, slow on the ball, poor decision making, inefficent, physically weak, done **** all for 2 years,no end product, too many uneccesary step overs, not a team player, a waster, too much skill not enough substance, and looks like Andi Peters.

The only people that like Robinho are 12 year old boys.

What happened to your boy Nigel Mediocre? You've gone off him, or have you realised you were deluded with your views on Diaby.

jay-d

Established Member
No babies, just the giggles at Alfonso's Nigel medi-ocre line.

And the squad really isn't miles ahead at all.

From the back, Gilbert is currently at Cardiff and isn't proving himself to be any better than the much improved Hoyte.

The midfield minus Robinho I actually agree with you as I feel Ribery is the final piece for that department.

Up front Henry is better than all of them with ease except Eto when it is questionable so that's weakening again.

So all in all I would call it comparable and a slight improvement in balnce due to Riberys inclusion but not miles ahead as you would melodramaticaly put it.

Babies my arse. ;)

RC8

Established Member
Alfonso said:
What has Ribery and Robinho done this season that warrants a move to Arsenal?

What has Robinho actually done in football. Name me 5 things please. He has got to be the most overrated player of the past 5 years for sure..

Because from this player i see nothing. Dwells on the ball too long, slow reactions, slow on the ball, poor decision making, inefficent, physically weak, done f**k all for 2 years,no end product, too many uneccesary step overs, not a team player, a waster, too much skill not enough substance, and looks like Andi Peters.

The only people that like Robinho are 12 year old boys.

What happened to your boy Nigel Mediocre? You've gone off him, or have you realised you were deluded with your views on Diaby.

Excellent post, summed up most of what I wanted to say.

I have stated many times that my dislike for Robinho is enormous. He doesn't have the right attitude to play our game, he is a selfish diver, and has no end product. Ribery I like, but he is nothing out of this world... he could become a magnificent player, but his contributions to Arsenal in the short term would be vastly inferior to those of Reyes last season.

Gilbert is good, but Hoyte has demonstrated to be very capable of handling difficult situations, so not that much improvement there.

Also, where did you (Sabre) get from that Diaby is a defensive mid? He plays the Vieira role but more offensive minded, with Denilson playing a Gilberto role but with very good passing; something our dear Brazilian DM distinctively fails at.

And I totally forgot about Nigel "Mediocre" :lol: Some people made him look like the answer to all our troubles, and now he is conveniently ignored because of his complete lack of leadership, which what, ironically, most people praised him for.

lagos

Established Member
sabret00the said:
So getting on with things, how do you feel about the squad the media are stating that we're trying to make?

am i missing something? have you got a source?

AFCFan4Ever

sabret00the said:
and of course Ribery would be a choice ahead of Rosicky and understand that nope..

:lol: Wow.

I mean I know you have a huge crush on Ribery but this is just ridiculous.

Rosicky is far and away the more complete and better footballer, why the hell would Ribery walk right in over him??? He doesn't hold a candle to either Hleb or Rosicky when they're on...sorry but that's just facts.

Rosicky has been one of if not our best player since the new year, his starting place isn't in jeopardy...I don't care who comes in.

Dougan17

sabret00the said:

Lehmann
-- Carson

Eboue // Toure // Senderos // Clichy
-- Gilbert // Djourou // Gallas // Traore

Hleb // Fabregas // Gilberto // Rosicky
-- Robinho // Denilson // Diaby // Ribery

van Persie // Eto'o
-- Walcott // Adebayor // Aliadiere

I personally believe that it's better than our current squad by a mile. Then again i would personally prefer to see Denilson getting as many starts as Gilberto next season and of course Ribery would be a choice ahead of Rosicky and understand that nope. i don't understand the Robinho attraction in the slightest but this thread is compiled of what seems to actually have substance in the press.

Can i just state that 14Teranga, Jay-D and Gooner T will probably have babies because due to this thread mentioning Henry not being at the club, oh noes. But this isn't anything to do with desire, it's just a thread subscribing to what appears to be grounded speculation.

other than your personal hopes and desires, in what BS is Henry leaving the club this summer grounded in? If he's really dipped in form as muc has some people here think he has nobody's going to pay 50m for him and we're not going to sell him on the cheap on the good chance that it was just fitness problems.

I wouldn't put Ribery above Rosicky at all, Rosicky for the Czechs looks better than Ribery for France with a squad around him with 1/3 the talent. Ribery is all hustle and reminds me of Ljungberg, but he's vastly overrated based on one good world cup and we can compete for titles next season, it's a matter of consistency, not quality, and waiting another six months to a year for another player to adapt to English football is just not on the cards, even if you rate Ribery above Rosicky, which I certainly don't.

Robinho I rate above Hleb as far as long-term potential but I don't see him being a winger, even a WM like Wenger likes to employ. He's not bad there but it's really not his best position, imo.

The squad we have is good. There's very good reason to believe that Henry is simply injured again which, while worrisome, is hardly a reason to scrap him and ship him out the door. His form after he came back from injury is still the old Thierry (5 goals + 4 assists in 6 games) and he's taking time to adapt to the side's playing style just like everyone else. He's 29 and just last may besides some wayward finishing he looked the world class striker we all know him to be, nobody falls apart that fast without injury and if it's not permanent, selling him is dumb.

This squad is a great squad, it just needs time to click and I have every belief that it will in the next 18 months and we'll be back to our winning ways. Hell if we were at highbury right now do you really think we'd be as defensively shabby at home as we have been this season? you take away those early season stutters at the Emirates and you're talking about Arsenal making a title push and a sexy pick to get back to the CL final and win an FA cup. Why scrap half the squad and rebuild now? that's madness.

If you want to look at adding to this squad, then you can talk about Eto'o or Carson but other than a world class striker or a new, hopefully experienced world class keeper, there's no point. The squad is what it is, just give it time to blossom.

entropy13

Established Member
I'd rather get van der Vaart over both Robinho and Ribery. Go watch some recent Hamburg games and you'll see.

I'd only get Eto'o if we can partner him with Henry. We can let Aliadiere go anyway...

Lord Dula

Established Member
how did this get through as a topic? has it not tweeked that the press rarely get it right with wenger signings?

Chips&CurrySauce

Who knows Lord Dula, let Sabre have his football fantasy fun...

The only good addition in that listis Etoo, and the chances of us signing him are close to Zilch...

I'm not sure about Robinho, he wouldn't be the first player that has gone to Real Madrid and under performed... As for Ribery, I always thought he was over rated and nothing has changed my mind, Rosicky is a far better player..

Mark

Established Member
No one's mentioned Bendtner, he could well be here instead of Aliadiere. There's also Vela, who surely will finally be arriving here next season won't he?

Chips&CurrySauce

I'm actually more excited about Vela than Bendtner.. The trouble with Niklas is that he is kind of similar to RVP, but without the goals.. We are creating alot of chances but our problem this season is conversion rate.. I see Vela being an natural finisher as well as an excelelnt player.. Niklas will play just like our other forwards, ie holding back on the edge of the box and never actually attacking the 6 yard box.. Vela gives us much more variation and balance to our squad

stiiphunn

Established Member
Mark said:
No one's mentioned Bendtner, he could well be here instead of Aliadiere. There's also Vela, who surely will finally be arriving here next season won't he?

Actually I'd like Ali to stay next year. He give us something that nobody else does, which are powerful runs in behind the back four. Thierry used to do it but doesn't do it anymore. Plus Ali can create chances out of nowhere.

I haven't seen Vela yet so I can't comment- i've only see some youtube clips and that's not enough to say anything interesting.

I guess it's too soon to say anything about next season as a lot could happen between now and the end of the season. But if things remain the way they are now, I'd let Baptista leave and maybe even Thierry.
I'd want ade, ali and rvp to stay- the three of them bring something different to the team and we'd just need to add one more to have a complete range of strikers.

qs

Established Member
Aliadierre is gone by next season, sure he was as good as a Boro player until Robin got hurt.

If we signed one good winger in the summer, a Ribery or a Robinho and we sorted the goal keeper situation then I'd be happy with the squad.

Alfonso I would've liked Reo-Coker too but its Denilson who's made me think we have no room for NRC now. He's been a revelation.

qs

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
Mark said:

Actually I'd like Ali to stay next year. He give us something that nobody else does, which are powerful runs in behind the back four. Thierry used to do it but doesn't do it anymore. Plus Ali can create chances out of nowhere.

Did you not see the Carling Cup final, ALi isn't even close to good enough to be in the first 3 of our strike force.

Henry, Robin, Baptista, Ade, Walcott and Bendtner are all better.

asajoseph

Established Member
Aliadiere has still achieved very little, beyond his performance against Liverpool, and a handful of bright moments here and there.

He obviously has a fairly nice technique, but the end product apart from that liverpool game certainly has not justified struggling to hold onto him come the summer.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Ali has shown much much more than Baptista- and I don't think the latter deserves to be with us next year. As for Bentdner I don't see how he's proved himself.

You have to be patient with players- for the first time in years Ali has been able to play on a regular basis- even though a good run of games could help him. He clearly has the qualities, unlike baptista, and that's why I'd like to stick with him.

But anyway as I said this discussion is premature as many many things could happen till the end of the season.

qs

Established Member
Ali vs Baptista is a conversation for another thread, I'll just let you know I don't think ALi has ever done anything in his career to warrant a place at a top club.

Bendtner has done more this season than any loaned out player has in recent memory. He's been very good for Brum and he has a thirst for the game. I'd be hugely in favour of bringing him back and giving him his chance.

As for holding onto Baptista that would be completely down to his price.

dos1986

Established Member
Ali is a fine player with great gifts but he's not good enough.Vela will be a fine replacement for Ali,he has the pace,the skill,the guile,he justs needs time to catch up physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom