• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reyes opens door to arsenal

Adam

Established Member
Jazz- Alex is talking about the real Ronaldo; that makes his assesment resemble the truth.

There is only one youngster in Spain who has more potential than Reyes..

Joaquin - but he's an unlikely purchase for us.

JazzG

Established Member
oh ok, was thinking WTF when he said that lol!

I don't know if Joaquin is a better prospect, they are both wingers but do play on the opposite wings. Joaquin is a more better known player coz of his team and he has played at the top level for abit longer IIRC. Bloody brilliant player though! Would be available for around £25mill, R.Madrid will almost definitely sign him though. Supposedly he was spotted having a chat with R.Madrid's president. I hear R.Madrid are interested in Reyes and Xavi Alonso as well so this may mean they are going for spanish talents now. Don't suprise me, some class spanish kids out there.

I'll try to find out in spain who they rate higher out of Reyes + Joaquin.

One R.Madrid fan was talking about Reyes and this is what he said:

Reyes will likely move this summer. He obviously wants to move. Everytime an important game comes up he shows up. I remember before he played Real this year, they were arguing whether he had the talent to play at Real and then Seville spanked Real in that game on Reyes best performance of the season.

This week he answered critics when Seville spanked Atletico 4-0 in the copa del rey.

Adam

Established Member
Cheers for that.

Yeah get some quotes from some Spanish football fans if you can Jazz - get all the info.

A

Anonymous

i seen this guys play.

i thought he was rubbish. i cannot understand the hype

deco is a better player :mrgreen:

tox

tbh i have seen very little of reyes, what sort of player is he? all i knowis if wenger is willing to pay 20mil for him then hes gotta be decent.

Then again he did buy wiltord.

JazzG

Established Member
I got one reply

Reyes is more versatile, he can play left wing, striker, and as a link up man behind the main striker.

It really depends what u want since Joaquin and Reyes play different positions.

I think Reyes is still another year away from finding his top form although he is already maybe the best attacking left winger in the Spanish League.

Joaquin is already world class in my opinion he just suffers from playing for a minnow team.

I see both moving this summer, especially after the Euro.

Interesting stuff

Adam

Established Member
Cheers.

It seems Reyes is fairly new to the scene for the Spanish fans too and yet to be established. Sevilla are a minnow team too - i wonder how he would function in a dominant side like Arsenal. What is Sevilla's style of play?

Is it true Reyes is already Spains number ten? If we don't get him before the summer, then maybe his talents will attract a big spender after the Euro's.

JazzG

Established Member
I think Sevilla rely very heavily on him so most of their attacks come through him on the left wing.

He has broken into Spain's side and has already scored a few goals for them. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=131246&cc=5739 Got some comments on Reyes against Norway, was he debut and had a pretty good game. Can't believe the coach had Joaquin on the bench though. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=67033&cc=5739 ( I believe he scored his first goals in this match)

I think Wenger knows that sooner or later everyone will know of him and will be after him. Even Houllier was saying how good he is and that many clubs are after him. If this deal is to go through we need to act fast, real fast.

therock said:
i seen this guys play.

i thought he was rubbish. i cannot understand the hype

deco is a better player :mrgreen:

First of he is not rubbish and why are you comparing him to Deco who is a completely different player? Deco is 26 and Reyes is 20, big difference there as well. Deco is a good player but seems to me abit of a lightweight.

thegame24

Established Member
i remember waiting to watch seville play and guess what they left reyes out, and it was the most boring game ive ever seen. reyes adds that much he is very good for such a ****e team.

Mark

Established Member
it would be best to buy him now before he is more well known by all the top clubs and they are all after him and can offer more money than we can. it's always good to have players who can play in different positions and he can play left midfield or upfront so he'd be useful for us and he is definetly a talented player who i think could fit in well here.

JazzG

Established Member
Some more quotes.

As for Reyes, he certainly seems to favour a move abroad, and he likes Arsenal's style of play.

I would favour Reyes ahead of Joaquin for the simple reason that he has the edge of Joaquin in terms of consistency...certainly this season.

The fee for Reyes is more likely to be ?20m....can't see Arsenal paying much more than that.
I asked him when he said that he likes our style of play and how much he would cost
He said a while back that Arsenal would be one of his preferred clubs if he left Sevilla.

Not sure on the price, but I reckon Arsenal could persuade Sevila to accept around £13/14m.
I'd be very surprised if Reyes went to Chelsea...he would want to play every game, which wouldn't happen there.

He would be a great success at Arsenal and would fit in perfectly with their style of play. He'd have to work on his defensive qualities a bit more though if he was to play on the left of midfield permanently. He prefers to play through the middle tho...
I wouldn't bet on Arsenal lowering Reyes's price

Anything less than 20 million euros is not going to get him.

If you go lower than that than for sure u attract the attention of other clubs.

Seville are VERY high on him, they won't sell him unless they think its a real good deal.

Without Reyes, Seville is a nobody.

Adam

Established Member
Yeah great stuff. He seemed to be influential in those Spain games.

I just wonder how much our youngsters progress is putting him off these signings. Rightly so too.

Kolo Toure can be used up front as a serious option aswell, or on the left wing - anywhere!

Jinn

Established Member
Bentley's touch of class could be giving Wenger second thoughts about Van Persie, Reyes, or Kluivert.

Do we seriously need to be spending large amounts of money at present? Perhaps it would be better to wait until the end of the season so that we can let all the departees leave before settling a squad for next season.

JazzG

Established Member
Bentley is a good player, no doubt about it. His future lies in a central role, Arsène is playing him on the left as he feels he probably isn't strong enough to play in the centre. He isn't a winger though, maybe later on in his career when he has abit of experience and is more mature he will be able to adapt but whenever he has played on the left for us he has looked lost.

Reyes is a brilliant winger who can play upfront as well. Such good left wingers are hard to come by and we must not let him slip through our fingers imo. From what I've seen and read he is worth the money, if we do have the money and don't go for him I for one will be very disappointed. He will one day end up at a big club, at £14mill that is just about within our reach. Wenger has said he has £10mill so I'm sure he can make arrangements for another £4mill. After Euro 2004 everyone will be able to see him and if he plays he won't disappoint.

Jinn

Established Member
Wenger actually said that given the choice of moving Bentley or Bergkamp onto the wing, he'd move Bentley - simply because he's younger. I guess the younger player should make way for the older one, if there's not much difference in talent.

I'd like to see Reyes at Arsenal too, but if we do buy anyone, I want the minimum amount spent to ensure silverware. If we don't need to buy anyone - if the sqaud can cope - then so be it. As long as we win things.

JazzG

Established Member
I'm not so sure we can, if Saha + RvN develop a good partnership than it will be very difficult as we are relying a lot on Henry + Bobby.

I want Reyes here because from what I've seen in a few years time he will be recognized as the best left winger in the world, I want those kind of players at Arsenal. I'm pretty sure he ain't gonna come though :(

lewdikris

Established Member
If Wenger wants to sign Reyes he HAS to do it before Euro 2004 - Reyes is the Spanish no 10 now, and quite possibly will be the best young player in the tournament. So a 15-20 mill valuation at the moment could become 25 +. Which blows our capability of buying him apart. It's quite possible he might not come at all - but even if we were not to buy him til June, the agreement will have to be in place this month or we'll NEVER get him.

Adam

Established Member
It's amazing that a player from Sevilla can beat Valeron, Tristan, Vicente, Torres et al to a spot up front.

It only encourages me that he is an exceptional talent.

lewdikris

Established Member
He simply did what any young player has to do to go on and be top-rate - took the opportunity when it was there. Same as Rooney in England basically - still a long way to go to be the finished article, but getting there damn fast...

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom