• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Romelu Lukaku: Journeyman

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Romelu Lukaku: Arsenal to Seal Late £9.5M Deal for Belgian Teenage Sensation?

The Premier League’s big guns have all been reportedly monitoring the form of one of Europe’s brightest young starlets Romelu Lukaku. The 16-year-old striker has broken into Belgian giants Anderlecht’s first team despite his tender years.

His form and goal scoring record have made him one of the most sought after youngsters in world football with Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City, AC Milan and Real Madrid all having been linked to the Belgian. However, the Gunners have stepped up their interest over the weekend and are in reported talks with Anderlecht to sign the player before the transfer deadline today.

The Gunners’ home defeat to Manchester United has forced Arsène Wenger to make his move knowing that a defeat to Chelsea next week may end Arsenal’s title hopes. The North Londoners may be the Premier League’s top scorers but their lack of strength up front was there for all to see against United and a more physical striker is seen as the answer until Robin Van Persie returns from injury. However, after three goals in the last two matches, the teenager is winning more plaudits and his price-tag will have increased.

Lukaku was sensational in Anderlecht’s 3-1 away at Ajax before Christmas which prompted his club captain Olivier Deschacht to say, “You saw it for yourself; he was fantastic. He normally distinguishes himself with his speed, but tonight he struck twice with his head.”

“I hope he stays with us for another two or three years, so he can play a lot and build up his rhythm, and after that I think he could go to somewhere like England and play at the very highest level. I believe he’s that good.”

Even Ajax star Urby Emanuelson was quick to praise the starlet. He said, “He’s not an unknown quantity, we have Belgian players here who are aware of him and he played against us in Brussels. But to put in a performance like that at his age is quite something.”

“He is so strong physically that it’s difficult to get the ball from him. If he continues to develop then who knows how far he can go.”

That strength and speed is what caught Arsène Wenger’s eye and his track record with spotting young talent is impeccable and this 16-year-old is only going to get better in an Arsenal shirt. Lukaku made his senior debut in Anderlecht’s championship play-off with Standard Liege back in May. He came on as a substitute just 11 days after signing his first professional contract. The fact that the youngster was thrown into a title-deciding match perfectly illustrates how highly regarded he is as a player at his club. However, it is this season that the teenager has really come of age with 12 goals in just sixteen league appearances (12 starts).

The impact the youngster has had in his homeland is similar to that of Wayne Rooney’s impact as a 16-year-old at Everton. Like Rooney, Lukaku is physically strong for his age but is also far taller than the England striker. At 6 ft 3 and a half, the Anderlecht man has shown both the power and athleticism to make a major impact for his club despite his relative inexperience. Technically he is also very good and would provide Arsenal with a completely different threat to the sharp quick footed Andrey Arshavin and the more subtle play of the Croatian Eduardo. Lukaku is more of a battering ram with his strength unlike most players of his age and he would excel in a side like Arsenal’s who will always create chances.

The Anderlecht striker has been labelled the ‘new Didier Drogba’ by the Belgian press and is not only extremely quick but also very strong in the air. It’s hardly surprising that Lukaku has made such an excellent transition into senior football as his record at youth level is simply exceptional. Prior to joining Anderlecht, Lukaku played for both Lierse and FC Brussels youth teams. He scored an incredible 130 goals in just 68 youth games for Lierse and 121 in 88 youth matches for Anderlecht. That aerial presence would provide Arsenal with another much needed threat as they’ve struggled against fellow title chasers Manchester United and Chelsea at the Emirates when they’ve been able to soak up pressure and hit them on the break.

Crosses into the box were eaten up by Manchester United’s 2nd choice centre-halves Jonny Evans and Wes Brown with Arshavin unable to compete aerially. Lukaku’s size and strength would have given United more to deal with and Wenger is pushing for a £9.5m move to secure his man for the all-important Chelsea clash this coming weekend.

The striker was born in Antwerp but is of Congolese descent and has already broken into the Belgian U21 side where he has scored one goal in five caps (3 starts). One thing’s for certain, there is no shortage of admirers in the teen sensation with Chelsea also linked with a January move for the striker who tops both his club’s and Belgium’s scoring charts ahead of Standard’s highly-rated Milan Jovanovic who has scored ten times. Jovanovic’s 10-goal tally includes 3 penalties and has come from 19 league starts which shows how remarkable Lukaku’s record is. After all, the 16-year-old does not take penalties and has completed a full 90 minutes once in his twelve league starts for Anderlecht. Six goals in his last six appearances in all competitions (6 starts) suggest the striker is getting better and better.

Lukaku has also experienced European football this season in both the Champions League qualifiers and the Europa League. He came on as a sub for nineteen minutes in the 5-1 defeat in Lyon which made him the youngest player ever to appear in that competition at 16 years and 98 days. He scored his first European goals in the 3-1 win over Ajax in Amsterdam which secured Anderlecht’s qualification for the knock-out round. Lukaku’s performance against the Dutch giants suggests that despite his age, he could be a significant signing for Arsène Wenger now rather than for the future. The Gunners remain in the title chase and the 16-year-old could prove to be the difference between winning silverware or not this season.

Chelsea’s interest is unsurprising as they are scouring world football for an heir to their talisman Drogba. Lukaku would be an ideal signing as both a rival to the Ivory Coast striker as well as a prodigy to slowly progress into the first team. However, Arsène Wenger is in pole position after former Arsenal captain Tony Adams gave a glowing report of the striker after being sent to watch him in action. At £9.5m he would be costly but with the Gunners’ coaching he may well prove to be an absolute bargain.

Lukaku’s contract runs until 2012 but Anderlecht face a mighty fight on their hands to keep their new star with some of Europe’s biggest clubs ready to pounce both today and in the summer. Arsenal lead the chase with Wenger reportedly already in negotiations to seal a deal as he looks to add strength and size to his attack which has been lacking since Van Persie’s injury. Whether the Belgian leaves today for the Emirates or not, we are sure to hear plenty about the sensational talents of Romelu Lukaku. If a deal cannot be finalized today, Wenger is likely to complete a move in the summer. Arsenal face a race against the clock to bring the teenager to England today.
<a class="postlink" href="http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/02/01/romelu-lukaku-arsenal-to-seal-late-95m-deal-for-belgian-teenage-sensation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://community.footballpools.com/blog ... sensation/</a>

Captain

Established Member
just out of curiosity, if he were 21-22 and basically doing the same thing, would it be okay to spend the nine million?

ricky1985

Established Member
Looks an absolute beast, almost unnatural for a 16 year old. Not saying it's going to happen, especially not in the next 2 hours and 7 minutes, but 6'3 and lightning quick and 14 goals in as many starts at 16 years of age! You just know Wenger's eyes must have lit up when he first saw him.

Muharraqawi

Captain said:
just out of curiosity, if he were 21-22 and basically doing the same thing, would it be okay to spend the nine million?

I would still have my doubts over the deal, but it would certainly be more acceptable to spend in my opinion.

It's a well known thing that no matter how good a player is at 16 he might still fail to make it later in his career.

asajoseph

Established Member
Apparently he really is the business. Hottest talent in Europe, so many say.

No idea about him myself, and don't know if he's the answer to our problems, but could you imagine the amusement if we signed him...

dreamLord

Established Member
We can sign him at 16? I thought there was a rule about players being above 18 or something?

Captain

Established Member
Muharraqawi said:
Captain said:

I would still have my doubts over the deal, but it would certainly be more acceptable to spend in my opinion.

It's a well known thing that no matter how good a player is at 16 he might still fail to make it later in his career.

Fair enough.

I just looked on youtube (i know, i know) and the guy is absolutely bossing grown men for most of his goals.

Captain

Established Member
16!

article-1232177-076512E3000005DC-324_468x394.jpg

abz_14

So let me get this right, if this story is true it means we are able to spend 9.5 million on a 16 year old, yet would not go over 6 million for Smalling, would rather wait till summer to buy Chamakh and would not offer 35million for David Villa being one of the best strikers in the world??

Only at Arsenal would this seem a logical transfer in!

ricky1985

Established Member
asajoseph said:
No idea about him myself, and don't know if he's the answer to our problems, but could you imagine the amusement if we signed him...
Wenger just simply wouldn't be taken seriously anymore.

Captain said:
I just looked on youtube (i know, i know) and the guy is absolutely bossing grown men for most of his goals.
Ridiculously blessed physically isn't he. To be that tall and yet still that quick, and to be that powefully built, but still have such spring and athleticism. He's a physical specimen that's for sure.
He can't really fail to make it as a top player, frankly. All he has to be able to do is finish half decently, and he'll score so many goals.

ricky1985

Established Member
Kenyonhater said:
16? My arse. He's probably about 24.
His dad was a famous footballer (Roger Lukaku), and he's Belgian born so it's not at all an issue in this case.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Apparently he really is the business. Hottest talent in Europe, so many say.
I've heard the same thing from a number of usually very reliable people now. He looks like a 25 year-old rather than a 16 year-old.

Kenyonhater

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1232177/Chelsea-target-teen-sensation-Lakaku--hailed-new-Didier-Drogba.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rogba.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like his Dad is pretty set on him staying put for the time being. Also, the boy is a Chelsea fan and Drogba is his idol...

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Perhaps we'll sign him and loan him back to Anderlecht for the time being? I wouldn't be against it to be honest. This is one player I feel that we shouldn't miss out on if we've got a genuine chance to sign him.

ricky1985

Established Member
Yep, I agree Klaus. In modern football one of the most sought after types of player is a striker who has the physical abilities to play as a lone striker, whilst still having the required technical ability, they're just so rare because of the countless decades spent with 2-man strike forces - at 16 this kid looks to have that. He'll go for a fortune if he isn't signed up by the summer.

Although were we to miraculously sign him today, I don't think Wenger would consider sending him back on loan. He likes his young players close by, especially when there are aspects of his game that need working on.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom