• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Spanish sensation who left Zidane in awe

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 48
  • Views 2,173
A

Anonymous

Read This Article And Get Excited,Get Very Excited

Spanish sensation who left Zidane in awe
By Graham Hunter, Evening Standard, in Spain
28 January 2004

On what turned out to be a long and painful night in November last year for Real Madrid, Zinedine Zidane turned to his marker Juan Redondo, while Sevilla were in the process of humiliating the Spanish giants 4-1.

The world's best footballer pointed at the man who is set to become Arsenal's record signing, Jose Reyes, and asked: "Is that bastard playing like this just because it is us?"

Redondo remembers: "Zidane was moaning about whether Reyes was going past Real's defenders on a motorbike which he couldn't see - that was the absurd type of game Jose was having.

"The runs he was making and the way he was cutting past Pavon - none of that was 'normal'.

"At Sevilla we knew before that night that he was truly extraordinary - but it seems he surprised the rest of the world."

And that is what all the fuss is about at Arsenal.

This tough little country boy from the depths of Andalusia, whose accent most people outside a 20-mile radius of his home village have difficulty in understanding, is already established as a footballer of international significance.

If you needed to make catch-all description of Arsenal's new boy it would be talent by Michael Owen and savoir-faire by Wayne Rooney.

He is almost the finished article on the pitch and rough as a Scouser scally off it.

Reyes is Seville from the tips of his lucratively sponsored Kelme training shoes to the sparkle of the ever-present gypsy jewellery he wears.

Bling-Bling? You ain't seen nothing yet.

This is the boy who yesterday regretted not that he didn't have time to say cheerio to 'the fans' but that he hadn't had time to meet with and explain what was happening to 'the Biris'.

Typically of Reyes the 'Biris' are the hard-line 'Ultras' - Sevilla fans who you wouldn't wish to meet in a dark alley in the city centre on a Saturday night.

Yesterday, during the press conferences held by Sevilla President Jose Maria del Nido and by Reyes himself, these 'Biris' flocked to the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium.

They started banging on the doors and windows for all they were worth just to register their disgust at the impending marriage of Reyes and Arsenal.

Little wonder the hard men were hurt - their idol-cum-pal not only had a recently signed contract until 2010 but Reyes and Sevilla had agreed that the specified buy-out clause in that contract would be set at 100million euros!

If Arsène Wenger's claim that the initial payment was a mere £10m had reached Spain sufficiently quickly yesterday afternoon, David Dein would still be in hiding in the UK Consulate in Seville and the Sanchez Pizjuan would have been torn down brick by brick.

Reyes would have walked out of the rubble like Popeye after a can of spinach, however.

When his medical takes place today and tomorrow in London he'll probably pass with flying colours but the doctors will find a multi-coloured symphony of cuts and bruises on the 20 year old's legs.

In his last three seasons there have been 283 fouls given for the various assaults masquerading as tackles which La Liga's defenders used to stop Reyes.

What Highbury is about to enjoy is a player who gets the ball, runs at defenders and shoots to score.

Old style, old school. Despite the fact that the fouls on him have been so severe this season that one in three tackles on Reyes have resulted in either a booking or a red card for the opponent the country boy just gets up, dusts himself off and sets out to cause more trouble.

"When I go down it is not theatre its for real" he says, which will be a welcome dose of realism in comparison to the antics of United's Cristiano Ronaldo.

"The defenders give you stick and say nothing while doing it so I pick myself up off the grass and, next time, give them one back.

"Does it hurt? Yes, sometimes it hurts like a bastard - I'm not made of industrial rubber.

"But this is football and whatever you give or get on the pitch everything-is forgotten after the match." Not that the Reyes maxim was proven true a couple of seasons ago when he was the most famous victim of on-the-pitch-fellatio in Spanish football history - at least during a game.

It was another fantastic four-goal fiesta for Sevilla, this time against Valladolid, which Reyes capped with a mazy 40-metre run and clever finish past Ricardo Felipe.

Slightly overcome, Francisco Gallardo leaned into the pile of bodies on the grass as Reyes' goal was celebrated in more traditional fashion and, er, buried his head in an unusual area.

Regarding the unusual treatment of his manhood Reyes merely confessed sheepishly: "I felt a bit of a pinch but I didn't realise what Gallardo had done until I saw the video.

"The worst thing about it is the teasing I'm getting from my teammates."

There will be goals galore for Highbury, Wenger and the rest of Reyes' new team mates now that this fantastic, tough little inside left has joined the Gunners.

But his development, his learning of English and his graduation to the North London glitterati represented by Messrs Pires, Vieira and Henry will be necessarily slow.

Davor Suker, once of Sevilla and once of Arsenal, says shrewdly: "Reyes is a rough diamond which needs to be polished and protected.

"I couldn't choose between him and Beckham in terms of talent.

"But I know that, if properly handled, Reyes can adapt to English football just like he could to any top level country because he is a little genius."

Just ask Zidane

lewdikris

Established Member
Brilliant article - thanks for posting it mate. That demolition of Real was one of the classiest performances I've ever seen by a 20 year old. Even better than when Eto'o did the same the year before - which is saying something!

The Wayne Rooney comparison's a good one - both tough, hard bastards from tough hard places. But genius' in the making...

Andrew

Great article. Also like the fact that he doesn't dive. And because he's used to this roughness, he shouldn't have too many problems adjusting to the physicalness of the premier league.

n_henry

Andrew said:
Great article. Also like the fact that he doesn't dive. And because he's used to this roughness, he shouldn't have too many problems adjusting to the physicalness of the premier league.

Nope, he should fit in fine. And he also looks very physically mature. :D Especially in comparison to Ali, for instance..

A

Anonymous

i have to say..congrats arsenal...

he is a diamond..

vin de guerre

Here are a couple Manure fans' opinions on the Reyes signing:

Reyes is definitely worth the nine million up front or so. There is no clearer young talent in Spain, except maybe Vicente. This lad is really something.

I have watched Reyes mesmerise opposition defenders and this can only mean the dawn of a new era for Arsenal FC. I can see him fitting right into the team as his playing style is very much the flowing, beautiful game Arsenal play.

Arsenal are already close to unstoppable as it is and I cannot bear to imagine what will happen to ManYoo when they meet next time around. I hate to admit it but Arsène Wenger is the shrewdest manager in the English game (forget Gilberto Silva and Wiltord. We have done worse with Kleberson and Forlan).

Saha for 12.825 million in a depressed market? Sir Alex should really be thinking about retirement. I am starting to believe rumours that he is held at gunpoint whenever a deal is being tabled.

This transfer really pains me as a ManYoo fan as all our transfers put together can never hope to rival this. Whenever I see Darren Fletcher, Kleberson and David Bellion starting for United, I am filled with despair and forgive me for comparing them with Arsenal's midfield.

Sir Alex may have visions about a new batch of fledglings whenever he pleases but when Scholes, Giggs and Keane are gone, he will wish he hadn't planned so far ahead. All the best to Reyes!
Lim Kien Yen, ManYoo fan

...I'm pretty astounded by Arsenal's signing of Reyes. Where have they got the money from?! I'm astounded, but also, as a United fan, more than a little worried.

I saw the 4-1 game against Real Madrid and it is no exaggeration to say that he absolutely destroyed them, he even had the job done and dusted before half-time. The Real defenders didn't have a clue how to stop him, one poor sod got taken off after about 25 minutes and was in tears! Actually crying! I have never seen anything like it.

He's being described as a left-sided player but I could see Wenger moving him into the middle a la Henry. Them two together up front? Bloody hell.

Is he worth it? If Louis Sahahaha is worth £13million then this kid is a bargain.

Jamie Stewart, a worried (and slightly annoyed we haven't got him) United fan
P.S. He was actually crying!

Kyla

don't want to be a doomonger, honest, but apart from the single handed demolition of Real (atrocious defence) can this kid stand out consistently? Will he be brilliant one day and **** the next?

lewdikris

Established Member
The Madrid defender crying was one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

As good a performance as the one Henry put up in the San Siro, pure footballing terrorism.

Adam

Established Member
Haha, those United fans are being pretty gracious i must say.

The Real defender crying? They did have a makeshift back four in that match - let's remember. The first goal was a great og - a diving header onto Helgueras back by his partner which flew into the net.

You can catch all the goals Reyes has scored or set up on the link posted in the 40 page thread ( page 38 )

Andrew

Adam said:
You can catch all the goals Reyes has scored or set up on the link posted in the 40 page thread ( page 38 )

Sorry... but I don't see that link. I know of a site which has all Sevilla goals though. Is that the one? :?

n_henry

I had no idea he made a Real defender cry... :lol: Also, poor bloke. :cry:

Those Mancs comments...well, they were so...correct. Makes you wonder if they were made by Mancs. ;)

JazzG

Established Member
Kyla said:
don't want to be a doomonger, honest, but apart from the single handed demolition of Real (atrocious defence) can this kid stand out consistently? Will he be brilliant one day and s**t the next?

Yes he has, he has carried a pretty crappy team for a few years now. Against R.Madrid he stepped it up one level though.

I asked some spanish fans about him and they say the reason they rate him higher than other spanish talents is coz he is so consistant.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Adam said:

Sorry I have been looking for this link with no luck. What is it?

A

Anonymous

Posted By lewdikris

The Madrid defender crying was one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

Come on tell me your joking,a kid making his debut is hard enough but Real did have defensive injuries that day,and he was really thrust in to the deep end,and then to be subsituted and made tolook really stupid would be enough to make any grown man cry.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996
Top Bottom