• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2014/2015

I like our squad. Add the annually world class player + Cech to it and keep focusing on the academies.

So many young players who should be ready to go for this season: Wilshere, Welbeck, Ramsey, Walcott, Bellerin, Coquelin... I would even put a leap of faith in Szczesney to get us another FA Cup.

Then we have older heads full of experience: Koscielny, Mertesacker, Giroud, Flamini(lol), Monreal and hopefully Cech.

With the world class x-factors: Özil and Sanchez, and add one to that.

GabeGooner

I'm a big fan of Wenger but isn't our predictability really down to the manager? The players are good/smart enough to know how to play a different game if coached properly. Now we sit back more against top opposition for example.

This is true but luck/physios/training methods play a role in this. Chelsea's squad barely had any injuries and Mourinho keeps playing the same 11... Plus we always seem to have a much tougher time with injuries for some reason (endless debate)

Look, I'm not saying buying appropriate players when they are available isn't the right thing to do, it completely is. But I also don't see a reason to invest lots of money unless there is a clear upgrade. Cech is, Benzema would be, as a lot of other names mentioned. The question is if they actually are available.
Of course we shouldn't buy for the sake of it, but we do need to bring in the number of players being mentioned. That's all I'm saying.

As for the point about coaching the predictability out of the team, I agree with that fully.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Look, I'm not saying buying appropriate players when they are available isn't the right thing to do, it completely is. But I also don't see a reason to invest lots of money unless there is a clear upgrade. Cech is, Benzema would be, as a lot of other names mentioned. The question is if they actually are available.

I think thats what is key here. There is more to a team than just throwing money at the problem and I think people have become disillusioned due to Real Madrid and Barcelona simply throwing together the worlds best players because they have that lure. We can't do that. We are still building our side by feeding off their scraps and their scraps happen to be world class. The entire market is dictated by what Real Madrid and Barcelona do, as they want the shiny new expensive signing and that creates an overload where players need to be offloaded.

This is further compounded by a lack of genuine quality in various positions leading to severe over pricing of players. There are so few centre backs around that Wenger managed to find one for £10 million who nobody seems to give any thought about. 'Arsenal need a new centre back'. Why? We just bought one. We have the perfect blend at the moment. We have a pairing that compliment eachother very well and a back up who can play with either, not to mention a youngster who can also step up at any moment.

'Arsenal need a new left back'. Monreal was by far one of our most consistent performers and he hasn't shown signs of dropping off physically yet. Gibbs is a good deputy, so why buy another left back for £20 million? We don't need one yet. We have a system that works. Our defensive unit compliments eachother and I really don't think it's a coincidence that two Spanish speaking players down our left hand side seem to do their job defensively in perfect tandem. There is very little spoken about the relationship between Sanchez and Monreal down our left side. Everyone notices Sanchez, but there are two players down our left hand side. He feeds Sanchez perfectly and overlaps when he needs to, hangs back when he needs to and covers appropriately. Monreal was fantastic last season and there is nothing to suggest that he can't do the same this coming season.

'We need a new defensive midfielder'. Yes we do, but we don't need a certified starter. Coquelin is still developing and people can point to his passing not being very good, when it actually is. He makes more interceptions than any other midfielder in Europe. He is ridiculous in the air, he reads the game and he is disciplined. People have short memories some times. Gilberto wasn't very good on the ball. Yet he was one of the most important players of that invincible era. Coquelin is far better and to suggest that Wenger wants someone who is better on the ball is probably true as who wouldn't want a player who does everything that Coquelin does, and has the creativity of Pirlo. Funny that, but at this moment in time, that player doesn't exist.

The same goes for centre forward. There are currently no strikers available that will take us to the next level unless Real Madrid start a merry go round. Barcelona have nothing to discard. Bayern have no reason to sell. It all depends on who Real Madrid buy. The only striker who can improve us and slot into our style of play seamlessly is Benzema. Other than that, we may aswell not bother as combined Giroud and Welbeck can probably get us 30+ goals a season.

The issue in our strike force isn't down to our centre forward scoring 30+ goals. It is down to hardly any goals coming from our right hand side. Wenger has already said it. He wants a player in our forward line who can guarantee an extra 15-20 goals a season. That player isn't a centre a forward as Giroud guarantees you 15+ a season, 20+ if injury free. Sanchez will probably net 20+. However, will the Ox get 15+? Will Welbeck get us 15+? They may well do, but that is the decision Wenger has to make. If that world class wide forward becomes available, that will be our big buy in my opinion. I don't think we will spend big in midfield.

We do not need creativity in our defensive midfield area. This team oozes creativity. We need depth and we need world class in a wide position. We either rely on Ox stepping up, which I think is highly likely this season. He looks like he is really ready to breakthrough, or we buy world class when it becomes available.

This squad is almost there. We are definite title contenders even without a forward signing, but a DM is certainly necessary. We are on the verge of signing a top class keeper FFS. We just won back to back trophies. We put half a season together two years in a row at opposing times. Everyone in the squad knows they need to start strong and finish strong. Everyone in the squad knows how to win something. We start the season with no injuries, a full pre season and hopefully all of our signings made. This team is ready for a challenge on all fronts.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Great post. I like the part with Monreal a lot, perfectly said. His partnership and understanding with Alexis at top level. I really do see Monreal improving even more from now on, not necessarily in any aspect of his game, but mostly by just playing at high level week in week out.

Tangy99

Agreed, good post. Don't forget about Walcott's potential contribution down the right though. Certainly capable of 20+ goals in an injury free season.

I think if we sign Cech, then we only desperately need cover in the holding midfield position.

LB and CF can be improved upon but if that doesn't happen this year then I'm not concerned. I think our squad will have the quality and depth to challenge still.

For the record, if signing a quality LB, id replace Gibbs and demote Monreal to 2nd choice.

And for CF, I'd replace Welbeck and demote Giroud.

For me, Gibbs and Welbeck are likely to be deadwood moving forward.

Emibury

Monreal was top quality last season and does not need to be replaced. Welbeck clearly has something about him and is only 24, so no need to replace him - we can easily sign another forward and keep Welbeck. If you want to remove forwards to make "room" then say goodbye to Podolski and Campbell.

Tangy99

It's not about making room. I don't even consider Podolski, Campbell or Sanogo when judging our squad.

Welbeck has a detrimental effect on the team when he plays, imo. His physical attributes are insignificant compared to his terrible positional awareness. He seems to split opinion, but I'm far from alone in this view. I would suggest people who rate him don't watch him closely enough, but that would likely come across as arrogant.

nicky47

Established Member
@The_Playmaker Hell of a post mate, couldn't agree more with you.

I can see where people are coming from when they speak about replacing this player, and that player etc, but there is no need to buy and replace players just because we get a slight improvement. I think people tend to think this is Fifa sometimes...

We've finally got a strong squad, those years of selling our best players have gone and some of our younger players have arrived. On top of that add our new spending ability and this team is looking very good. A good summer adding Cech, a midfielder to compete with Coquelin, and our team is more than ready to challenge for the title in my opinion.

After last summer when we brought in good additions, then Coquelin being called back and stepping up, as well the signing of Gabriel in Jan has completed our team. We simply need to improve on weaknesses now such as a top keeper and lack of quality in depth in defensive midfield. If we started last season with Gabriel and Coq I believe we could very well have won the League, or at the very least we would have been much closer to Chelsea.

nicky47

Established Member
The issue in our strike force isn't down to our centre forward scoring 30+ goals. It is down to hardly any goals coming from our right hand side. Wenger has already said it. He wants a player in our forward line who can guarantee an extra 15-20 goals a season. That player isn't a centre a forward as Giroud guarantees you 15+ a season, 20+ if injury free. Sanchez will probably net 20+. However, will the Ox get 15+? Will Welbeck get us 15+? They may well do, but that is the decision Wenger has to make. If that world class wide forward becomes available, that will be our big buy in my opinion. I don't think we will spend big in midfield.
This is a very good point also dude. I see loads of people saying there's no room for a winger but I disagree. This was the main reason why I would have liked Sterling but his price tag is OTT. Probably no better time than now for Wenger to pick someone up he likes such as Reus or Draxler maybe?

Time will tell, but could see Wenger just giving Ox or Welbeck the chance to shine. If it comes to it he may simply stick Ramsey or Wilshere out there when need be like he has already done.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

We have a top squad but it's full as it is. Assuming we sign Cech and one more player our match day squad for a league game can be this *

Cech

Bellerin Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal

Ramsey. Coquelin

Ox Özil Alexis

Theo

Bench.
Sczesney ~ you need a keeper there
Chambers ~ most flexible defender and can be put at Dm if required
Wilshere
Giroud
Welbeck

That leaves Gibbs, Gabriel, Debuchy out, that leaves Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini out and probably a few others. We need to cut not just the dead wood like Podolski, Campbell, Flamini, Diaby but we need to lose someone else because thats too many players not even in the match day squad who rightly can and should be able to claim a spot in it.

Also if we sign an extra DM then it only adds to it. Though read an interesting article recently about Belik and him potentially stepping up depending upon pre season.

Last edited:

nicky47

Established Member
We have a top squad but it's full as it is.
Very true. Being able to compete on all fronts though you need a big squad, but obviously you need to find the right balance at the same time. I'm hoping this summer we can see those you mentioned leave, and bring in Cech and a DM. A new attacker would be nice but keeping all those players happy will be tough hence why I can't see it happening unless a top player Wenger loves is available. But overall I feel we'd have great quality, and in depth as well leading us to be able to compete on all fronts.

MrBump

It's not quite full enough just yet.

We've been that 2-3 players short for seasons now.
Czech and Scheidelin almost finish the squad after Gabriel and Coquelin additions mid last season.

If we do get those 2, a striker/wide attacker is just cream. Although I can't see us buying in that area that actually improves our first vi, just adds numbers.....

Czech, Szescney
Bellerin, debuchy
Koscielny, mertesacker, Gabriel, chambers
Monreal, Gibbs
Schneiderlin, coquelin
Wilshere, Ramsey
Özil, Cazorla, rosicky
Ox, Walcott
Giroud, Wellbeck
Alexis, ????

Out : ospina, arteta, Flamini, diaby, podolski,Campbell, Sanogo

After spending 30m on Czech/scheid, you'd think we WOULD have money to spend on that attacker if we can move those outs out....

#purring

Emibury

^^ Good post.

I would swap the role of Welbeck and Walcott though - Walcott could be great given a run up front - and I would also keep Arteta as he can cover DM and CM and we have had constant injury problems there in recent years. Don't forget Martinez - he is a pretty good third keeper.

If Cech/Schneiderlin come off then I would not be overly upset if we did not buy another player, like you suggested. Consistency is important in the squad and I would also like to see a couple of our younger players (Gnabry and Zelalem in paricular) given a chance, who would probably get shut out by another forward signing.

MrBump

Ok schneiderlin gone. I'll jump on the Vidal wagon, he sits in competition with Coquelin plus being able to play CM position too.

We will be very serious contenders if we have some luck with injuries.

GabeGooner

Even with Čech coming in, we're still 3 players away from being a consistent rival to Chelsea and United in the league. There are a lot of variables that can change that, of course; one of which is Walcott going to ST and banging in a lot of goals. But we do need a DM and a winger or a striker (depending on Walcott).

If we get Vidal, I think we can tick the DM off the list; even though Vidal isn't as defensive as Coquelin appears to be now. Given the supposed cost of Vidal (£23m rising to £30m), we should still have £30m-£37m available to spend. With a few players going out (Campbell £6m, Ospina £4m, Podolski £4m), we could potentially afford Sterling or Benzema at £50m without any major losses to the squad or any overspending. – Which makes Wenger a lot more likely to do it.

However it goes, I'm just excited to see what happens now. It's been a while since I've felt this good about our business, let alone at this point in the summer.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Even with Čech coming in, we're still 3 players away from being a consistent rival to Chelsea and United in the league.

United? Even my United mates think we are closer than them to challenging for the league. Not sure why you think we are 3 players away from a team we finished above last year.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I still reckon Debuchy will be our starting RB. Nothing against Hector obviously, I love him. But we've not seen the best of Debuchy and when he did play he was one of our better players.

GabeGooner

United? Even my United mates think we are closer than them to challenging for the league. Not sure why you think we are 3 players away from a team we finished above last year.
Not sure why I put United, I meant City!

As for the 3 players we need, I think we should be getting a DM, a winger and a striker (if Walcott isn't up front). I think Čech's a bonus.

That said, if we get Čech and the DM, we can compete with what we have now. But to really trouble the top teams around us – and compete in Europe – we'd still have to do a bit more. Over the next two seasons we should be transitioning the older players out and bringing in top, top quality talent to strengthen the defence and balance the midfield; and it goes without saying, if this season doesn't go well for our forwards, we absolutely have to go and get someone world-class and be ruthless with the strikers we do have. No time to waste given the potential in this team; every year we do nothing we waste all that we've invested into our younger players.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom