• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 23/24

Mudi

We seem to be somehow worse off than when the season started. Had it not been for the run from January, we would be staring at a fight for 4th with Villa and the ****.
That is a huge exaggerating post.

The issue that Arteta did not see is the huge form drop of Zinchenko, Partey & Timber out for the whole season and our attackers missing a couple of weeks of the season.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
That is a huge exaggerating post.

The issue that Arteta did not see is the huge form drop of Zinchenko, Partey & Timber out for the whole season and our attackers missing a couple of weeks of the season.
I think he's made a mess out of our midfield. Signed Havertz without knowing for sure where he was going to play him, did not buy a forward. Banking on Martinelli and Saka to repeat last season's numbers while being aware of Jesus's dodgy knee was asinine. ESR, Nelson on extensions, Vieira AWOL, LB situation a complete mess. I mean there is plenty of areas that are in serious need of rework.

Mudi

Starters:
Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Rice, Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz

Quality substitutes:
Tomiyasu, Timber, Trossard, Jesus

Good substitutes
Kiwior, Jorginho

Needs to go
Ramsdale, Zinchenko, Partey, Elneny, Vieira, ESR, Nelson, Nketiah

Must buy starters:
Deeplying midfielder and left back

Must buy quality rotation players
GK, CM (nr.8), AM (nr.10), RW & CF

7 players in and 8 players out. If that happens, we will have a very strong squad to compete on all fronts...

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Comparing us to top teams in Europe, it feels like we are so far behind in wide positions and CF, but we probably have the best defense (or at least the top 3) and a strong midfield (even with Jorginho there we were equal to Bayern and City in midfield).

It is sad to see that Ode has to play around mediocrity like Martinelli and Havertz, not even sure what we could do about it as our whole forward line is bloated with mediocrity and overrated players who will be hard to get rid of if we decide to

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Comparing us to top teams in Europe, it feels like we are so far behind in wide positions and CF, but we probably have the best defense (or at least the top 3) and a strong midfield (even with Jorginho there we were equal to Bayern and City in midfield).

It is sad to see that Ode has to play around mediocrity like Martinelli and Havertz, not even sure what we could do about it as our whole forward line is bloated with mediocrity and overrated players who will be hard to get rid of if we decide to
The squad has serious problems. How do you move on players like Jesus or vieira. The good thing with going out is people can wake up to lack of actual quality upfront. The goals we scored in the league is misleading

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
It's plain for all to see. We need improvements in lots of areas...

LB - will Timber be that guy ???

Wings - Nelli has plateaued & his game is limited. Saka is worn out & despite being a fabulous talent, we could do with different options. A Rodrygo or Leao (both!) would be transformative

Striker - We have lots of 'can do a job there's'. We need an actual striker, who can score

MF - We need a player comfortable in the 8. Rice is best deployed at 6.

MF - We need a capable understudy to Rice at 6. Jorg is not really a strong option imo & TP is just pointless as he's always injured.

MF - We need a capable understudy to Ode at 10. Viera is not it.

HattoriHanzo

It's plain for all to see. We need improvements in lots of areas...

LB - will Timber be that guy ???

Wings - Nelli has plateaued & his game is limited. Saka is worn out & despite being a fabulous talent, we could do with different options. A Rodrygo or Leao (both!) would be transformative

Striker - We have lots of 'can do a job there's'. We need an actual striker, who can score

MF - We need a player comfortable in the 8. Rice is best deployed at 6.

MF - We need a capable understudy to Rice at 6. Jorg is not really a strong option imo & TP is just pointless as he's always injured.

MF - We need a capable understudy to Ode at 10. Viera is not it.
Timber is more RB and right CB, LB is not his natural position.
I don't know that, I haven't seen enough of Vieira to know.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Timber is more RB and right CB, LB is not his natural position.
I don't know that, I haven't seen enough of Vieira to know.
Yup that's right, but Teta was playing him LB pre season & in first game, so seemed like he wanted to use him there. He looked very good, but time will tell I suppose. Why not just get an actual LB ?!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yup that's right, but Teta was playing him LB pre season & in first game, so seemed like he wanted to use him there. He looked very good, but time will tell I suppose. Why not just get an actual LB ?!
In his first pre season game he used him as rb and Tomiyasu as lb. It looks like just a way to get minutes under his belt. I really doubt Arsenal wanted to sign a LB in the summer and decided to sign a guy they never seen play as LB. Makes zero sense

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
In his first pre season game he used him as rb and Tomiyasu as lb. It looks like just a way to get minutes under his belt. I really doubt Arsenal wanted to sign a LB in the summer and decided to sign a guy they never seen play as LB. Makes zero sense
Agreed

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Arteta just doesn't seem to want 'actual' full backs. I assume he doesn't want anyone in his squad who can only do one job, giving us less flexibility (at least that's what I think is the case). Our full backs are a bunch of CBs and an slightly above average attacking midfielder.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Arteta just doesn't seem to want 'actual' full backs. I assume he doesn't want anyone in his squad who can only do one job, giving us less flexibility (at least that's what I think is the case). Our full backs are a bunch of CBs and an slightly above average attacking midfielder.
Jack of all trades master of none. Terrible way to build a squad

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Out... Nelson, Nketiah, Cedric, El Neny, Viera, ESR (loan perhaps) Zinchenko, Raya. Ramsdale is better then Raya. I'm undecided on GJ still.

That brings in positions for quality depth, RW, Striker, CM's, FB's. White probably needs to be rotated around eventually aswell.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Jack of all trades master of none. Terrible way to build a squad
Well I think there's value to either approach so I don't necessarily think this is the issue with how the squad is built but I take your point. We saw the limitations of having a traditional full back in this system when we had Tierney - who wasn't perfect but as far as full backs go he was competent at his job. I happen to think that Arteta should at the very least have a similar profile regardless, which leads me to my point.

The bigger issue for me is the lack of variance in these profiles, not the fact that they can play multiple roles. They're all mostly good duel winners with a range of above average to excellent passing ability and a good technical base. What we lack Is a bit of edge. Pace, directness, quicker tempo players, impact players, distance dribblers/carriers. There's a one dimensional element as a result. They don't have to only play one position but they have to offer us something different to what we have.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I was thinking about our current players and how they get called "world class" and compared to other top players...but can they, when you really think about it.

Don't get me wrong, we have some very good players...but when people put them up against Salah and DeBruyne, that's also basically comparing them to Henry/Ronaldo/Van Nistelrooy/Hazard etc...players who have all made their mark in some way, when trophies where on the line.

In leagues, in cups, European football and International football...all those mentioned players have done things at various times, which has helped there sides win as that's how you get to be truly great... when's the last time as Arsenal player has done that?

When something is on the line, and we didn't buckle but stood up... probably Auba in the cup final in 2020, that's quite long ago ffs.

Maybe when you take your emotional support hat of about the current team and look at it factually...a lot of our (admittedly quite young) players still have a few key steps to make, sadly.

Tnegs

We need to get decent fees for the likes of Ramsdale, Nketiah and Zinchenko in order to spend big again this summer. We can’t afford to keep selling players for a fraction of their value the players we will be selling this summer are established at this level we simply have to get fair value for them.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We need to get decent fees for the likes of Ramsdale, Nketiah and Zinchenko in order to spend big again this summer. We can’t afford to keep selling players for a fraction of their value the players we will be selling this summer are established at this level we simply have to get fair value for them.
I agree in principle but apart from Ramsdale, none of our intended sales looks like a player a team could rely on at PL level and even he's suspect. We might get a punt on ESR, but Nelson and Co are pure benchwarmers and Zinny and Jesus have open question marks on them. If we get close to £100-150m for the lot, we'll have done okay.

Tbf Martinelli and Saka looked like most talented wide forwards in the world last season. Saka still does but Martinelli drop in form has been bad. Then we had Trossard who has given us a lot of return.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom