• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squeeky bum time?

The Rain Song

Right, I’ve been following sections of this forum for a good 3 years now and thought I would finally make (or attempt to make) a contribution, apologies for the poor name it’s the title of the song I’m currently listening to which helps to calm me down after tonight’s result (By Led Zeppelin, great song check it out).

Right, nerves, anyone else a little anxious? For the past few weeks It’s been smooth sailing, at some points grinding out results, at others playing the most attractive football in the league. It was turning into a potentially great season, 2nd in our hands and the favourites to retain the FA Cup, who’d have thought that 2 years ago when we were grinding out an away win at Newcastle (I think) to scrape 4th from Sp**s. Then, Swansea. Right now with 4 games to play our season could finish with us either:

2nd Place Runners Up retaining the FA Cup
Or
4th Place no silverware.

Personally after the season we’ve had, which despite our form at the beginning, has been excellent and very enjoyable for me, our team looks a lot more balanced and most importantly we’re picking up results against bigger teams which was something that we’ve missed through recent seasons. Lets take for example last season’s winners Manchester City, this season against them we are P3 W2 D1 (Including community shield), add knocking United out of the FA Cup (Di Maria lawl) and various impressive performances I for one am very happy overall.

What worries me however is the fact that we could still finish in the latter option and which would then bring along the inevitable 2 ½ months of every single day being bombarded by every newspaper headline and twitter expert giving it the whole “Wenger out, typical Arsenal, London is Blue” bollocks that makes me want to have a hot bath and a cold razor. Couple this with the fact that everyone knows that Chelsea, Man U and Man City are going to go on a Jordan Belfort esq shopping spree this summer, FFP my arse they’ll find ways around it, and we can’t / I wouldn’t want us to match them in wage demands and transfer budgets (it’s just becoming a joke, imagine Falcao’s paycheque).

Therefore the next few months are crucial, we could either finish in a strong position, giving the players a great mentality to start with next season, continue to add quality to our squad in key areas and build on this next season to mount a real title challenge and attempt to get a better record among Europe’s Elite, or we can finish 4th, win nothing, enter endless criticism, potentially speed up Wenger’s retirement, de-moralise players and maybe make them start to hear the whispers of the “little boy inside of them”. I'm not saying any of those latter things will happen, at the moment for the first time in a while i don't think any of our players are head and shoulders about the rest / anybody else and unlike a majority of other teams, we are stable and imroving (emphasis on stable), becuase of this i can't see any of our first 11 wanting to force an exit anytime soon.

Tonights result has just made me dread the idea of Man U beating us on Sunday and finishing above us(after the season they've had it would be pathetic), then we lost the Final to the same team that a few months ago were close to setting the record for longest game time without scoring (I think they reached 10 hours?). That being said credit to Tim Sherwood, even before tonights result i was a bit :/ about facing them now, their full of confidence and passion with a form thats practically as impressive as ours in 2015. I think itll just need / take a moment of magic from a world class player (Alexis / Rambo) to get us the result.

Long story short, I’m a tad nervous, anyone else?

Iceman10

Established Member
OK, my apologies to Rain Dance, just figured it wasn't him, but at least I don't have to take time treading a balance because I am familiar with and like him as a fellow poster here. This thread is not warranted IMO, it is just asking about emotions on fixtures that will play out over the next three weeks. I'm all for a thread that invites logic but instead this just seems to be inviting "sky is falling" comments on the back of one defeat. At the end of the season, after the FA Cup final of course we can review the final outcome, including the four matches remaining. Probably best to close this thread off.

Last edited:

Token Yank

Honestly, for the United game and also the rest of the season, this loss could be a blessing in disguise. As we have seen over the years, nothing worse than an over confident, laid back Arsenal side. Team usually performs better with a back against the wall mentality. Also, hopefully we see Wilshere replace Ramsey going forward.

The Rain Song

I'm going to apologise as being at work writing this on 4 hours sleep due to watching the game live (NZ) I actually lost my point on where i wanted this to go, and the overall question I was asking being where others saw the club in the mid-term future ie 5 years. Especially as at the moment there is quite a gap between how successful we can judge this season even with only 4 games to go, would be quite interested to see how optimistic people are about the future given how well we could finish, in comparison to how people might be almost “un-moved” about our recent improvements given that the season could also end as a “pains me to say this” usual Arsenal season.
However by all means (admin) close it off and ill repost it when we know how we’ve faired at the end of the season J

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You know, since I got this user name, weather has been acting up (yeah, that wasn't the global warming, it was me) and now there's a Rain Song too? Our combination is just too deadly for Earth

Anyway, I hadn't been this relax about our position for the last 3-4 seasons at least, so I wouldn't call it squeeky bum time.

Best squeeky bum moment is still screaming BENAYOUUN !!!! when he scored for West Ham on lasagna-ed Sp**s and another Benayooouuunnn moment !! when he scored using our uniform a couple season back.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
This team responds well to criticism. After Sp**s spanked us we came back strong with multiple wins.

After Monaco spanked us we went undefeated for... 2 1/2 months? I expect a win on Sunday. Complacency can not be a trait a top team has. Wenger needs to stamp it out. Next season is a legit chance where we can probably make a decent challenge and we have to shame complacency. We have to punish complacency. That first half wasn't even football, it was the most bored I've been in this season and I watched that Chelsea match.

As for the future for the club? I will begin to question Wenger's capabilities as manager if he can't get a top 2 finish next season. I want a legit strong title challenge where if we lose I want it to be by a point or goal difference. I want a genuine challenge. I don't want this club to become Liverpool. I don't want to go 25 years without a title. We've been patient, and now it's time where our patience, and our faith in our manager to be rewarded.

If we can still salvage 2nd it'd be a miracle, but next year when it really counts we can't just not turn up. We have to constantly deliver. We have to get something out of every match. This was the year for all mistakes to be seen and rectified. There can be no excuses next year.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

This might be the greatest thread title on A-M that I've seen so far.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom