• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Szczesny or Fabianski: Who's in POLE position?

Who's Your Pole?

• Fabianski

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Szczesny

Votes: 79 86.8%

• Total voters

KY

Established Member
It's a legitimate question for next season (pun aside... =D)! Right now, Szczesny is no.1 by virtue of Fabianski being injured and he's shown his worth. But before his good injury, Fabianski had shown good improvement and was clearly number one over everyone else.

Now if we were to analyse Wenger's quote on Szczesny a few weeks back,
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-szczesny-is-arsenal-s-no-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... nal-s-no-1</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He said "at the moment", so I interpret it as that Szczesny's currently the best available. I wouldn't be surprised if Fabianski comes back from injury and retake the number 1. And even if he doesn't, I don't think he'll take it lying down, being usurped by a younger up-and-starter with clear flaws in his game. Granted Fabianski has clear flaws too.

My take is that based on performances this season, I'd have Szczesny be our number one for one reason. He's more of a commanding presence. My idea of a good goalkeeper is one who does the least work in a game, because he organises his defense well. Someone who's vocal. And I think I see this in Szczesny more than in Fabianski. Fabianski has had his moments (best memory is him tugging Cesc into position) but I don't think it comes naturally to him and he's mainly just a good shotstopper. The younger pole just seems to have that instinctive commanding presence IMO. Plus he's big and knows how to put people off.

What do you guys think?

Of course, this is under the *safe* assumption that Almunia shouldn't factor into this decision and it's a straight out battle between the Poles...(geddit? geddit? between the poles?like between the sticks? like....oh never mind... :eek:ops: )

ebouenolike

Established Member
KY said:
AnthonyG said:
Want a poll for your Poles? :mrgreen:

Woj a FAB idea... :)

The forum needs more puns.

I think Szczesny is in Pole position, he is so confident and is barking orders. Wenger goes on a lot of data like reaction times, and highest jump after an interview with Bob Wilson (I think) and as such Fabianski has always been a favorite of Wenger as he aces all those kind of tests.

Promote ze_gooner from the lobby, this seems like his ideal thread ;)

-vapour-

Szczesny just seems to ooze something that Fabianski doesn't have. He's got the right attitude to be a goal keeper, and I just feel that he is the long term option here. Szczesny gets my vote without a doubt.

He will be better than Casillas one day. Watch this space.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
As regards the punnage in the thread title:

what_you_did_there_i_see_it_RE_Whats_your_favorite_cartry_to_ignore_the_chicks-s500x447-103110.jpg

In terms of the thread topic - I think Szczesny is the better of the two long term, but I'm actually happy with either.

yuvken

Established Member
Not a real question.
I don't know there are many keepers in the world I'd take over him even right now, and looking forward he has everything you want a keeper to have. Besides that, he has that extra mental ingredient our team is lacking.
(see, I didn't even write the name, it's that obvious).

Herbas

Fabianski impressed me more this season, but I think that Szcz has more potential.
Whoever is chosen by Wenger, I'm happy

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I agree with you Yuvken, but what do we think Wenger thinks? And I know he should be OK with it, but at his age and with some talent, what would Flappy think? Will it be an open-contest is what I'm curious about, since Flappy's injury has clouded things.

Proof

Established Member
Definitely Szczesny, who is simply the better goalkeeper. Fabianski had a good streak this season, but we all know what he did last summer. This seasons' good games, simply don't compensate for his previous horror displays.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I prefer Szczesny, but a lot of that is just because of his attitude. Lately I've been thinking maybe Fabianski actually pulled off more better performances though. I think it will be an open-contest with pre-season time being evenly split and I wouldn't be too surprised if they continue to change a little bit at the start of next season.

With Almunia on his way out who do you guys think will be given the no. 1 shirt? I wonder if Wenger will leave it free to try and encourage both as giving it to one at the start of the Summer might encourage the other to leave or not play as well.

arsenallegends

Established Member
I like them both and I think Fabianski took the faith that was given to him with both hands. We might be putting too weight on Szczesny's shoulders too soon. Double zinnnng!

yuvken

Established Member
It is interesting to see how AW plays it, but I'd expect one thing to be a "post AL blip" return to normal: the better keeper will play. If all is normal, Fab will play in the cup competitions. However, if Chez has a bad period, there will be less jitters involved in giving him a rest (we need to thank our lucky stars for the fact Fab managed to show he's a top keeper before getting injured - there would be serious demons left there otherwise).
Regarding the competition between the two of them - i don't see any big problems there (don't see Fab leaving, etc.). Mutual respect, fair competition, etc.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

yuvken said:
Not a real question.
I don't know there are many keepers in the world I'd take over him even right now, and looking forward he has everything you want a keeper to have. Besides that, he has that extra mental ingredient our team is lacking.
(see, I didn't even write the name, it's that obvious).

Tell you the truth Yuvken don't think Sneezy is quite ready to play a full season without costing us points . I feel if the chance to buy a World class keeper comes up AW should take it , either that or he needs an experienced CB who has the qualities to organise the defence and keep talking to Sneezy .

Sneezy is the one I would choose though out of the two .

Raider

Established Member
Anyone with half a brain knows it should be Szczesny, and by quite some distance.

But with this worldful world we know as Arsenal... God knows nowdays.

Szczesny's ceiling is higher, and I'll always want to go with the better option and that's Szcz, regardless if Fab has more game time.

He's more voacal, a better shot stopper, and appears more commanding.

Szcz makes me feel safer. I bet the defenders feel the same too.

Hope he gets the number 1 Jersey for next season to give him a real boost.

Raider

Established Member
celestis said:
Tell you the truth Yuvken don't think Sneezy is quite ready to play a full season without costing us points .

Fab, Jens and Average Al will cost us even more points. So... Szcz is ahead :mrgreen:

ebouenolike

Established Member
Irish_Owen said:
For me, it's an incredibly easy decision

Szczesny 100%

end of

Exactly. Fabianski can fill in if he's injured or drop in form or the cups, but for a 38 game league season I want Ches in goal.

yuvken

Established Member
@ celestis: Fair enough, I think we rate him differently, but I myself am not considering him a finished article.
However, that may only make his case stronger: he's good (I guess even those who think he's not one of the world's best would accept that), and after starting this season with Al - that's a positive change.
If, as you say, he doesn't have an entire season in him (as in costing us many points), again we're lucky: Fab can step right in (it's not a scenario I'd bet on, but I don't exclude it either: the boy's young, however exceptional is his character).
Lastly, look at his improvement: last year at Brentford, this year a debut at old T, then playing Barca, confident as Jens (or more), and giving us confidence (remember how it feels to have Al in goal? that was not so long ago). And since his debut (we were all thinking: great confidence, but the worst kicker and distributor of the ball ever) he's improved a lot.
In general, this is one position I'm not worried about (compare last year. I was :x ).

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom