• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

$tan Kroenke Becomes Soul Owner

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not that I disagree with the overall notion but do you think there was no money other than 10m for Cech in 2015? Not sure what to make of the 🤔 reaction earlier.
I’ve no idea what machinations were going on in the boardroom, what transfers had been attempted and failed, or what the impact of the fan unrest was having. But I do know, no manager in the history of football has ever turned down an offer of money from the owners because he didn’t ’want to spend It’. Pure fantasy.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I’ve no idea what machinations were going on in the boardroom, what transfers had been attempted and failed, or what the impact of the fan unrest was having. But I do know, no manager in the history of football has ever turned down an offer of money from the owners because he didn’t ’want to spend It’. Pure fantasy.
I don't think that happened either. Wenger however was loyal to a fault and had belief in his ability to improve his guys, I think in some situations - among them that summer - that bit us in the arse when we should've went out and improved the team.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I don't think that happened either. Wenger however was loyal to a fault and had belief in his ability to improve his guys, I think in some situations - among them that summer - that bit us in the arse when we should've went out and improved the team.
Regardless of how it happened. Most of the people pushing that narrative that Arsène refused to spend the money he was given, would be telling a different story if luck had been kinder. The injury to Cazorla, our best player, early on, who hitherto had been pretty injury free, and that ultimately finished his career, was a big blow. Even Özil, another normally injury free player was out for weeks, Coquelin for months, and the usual suspects who might have had a better year, all had bodies that let him down yet again, Walcott, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ox, and Welbeck.
A-M was full of, ‘injuries aren‘t an excuse ffs’ but I’d bet my house that if Arteta was hit with an injury to Rice/Saliba/Saka, injuries would be an excuse. :lol:

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Regardless of how it happened. Most of the people pushing that narrative that Arsène refused to spend the money he was given, would be telling a different story if luck had been kinder. The injury to Cazorla, our best player, early on, who hitherto had been pretty injury free, and that ultimately finished his career, was a big blow. Even Özil, another normally injury free player was out for weeks, Coquelin for months, and the usual suspects who might have had a better year, all had bodies that let him down yet again, Walcott, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ox, and Welbeck.
A-M was full of, ‘injuries aren‘t an excuse ffs’ but I’d bet my house that if Arteta was hit with an injury to Rice/Saliba/Saka, injuries would be an excuse. :lol:

Could those injuries have anything to do with management and how thin the squad was? I believe criticizing a manager for rushing players back or overplaying them is a fair criticism.
And yeah, both arguments were made at the end of last season when Saliba was injured and had to be replaced with Holding. Some chalked it to bad management and other said bad luck, maybe there is a grain of truth to both?

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I’ll repeat this for the hundredth time, the idea that a manager has been given the go ahead by the owners to spend millions on another player or two, but the manager says, ‘Oh no I don’t need it, I’d rather try and beat the oil clubs knowing it was done with the purity and idealism true to the game of football’, is beyond crass. But not laughable, more an insult to the intelligence of a great manager. Wenger knew full well the impact of money in football and has written about many, many times.
David Dein said he had to talk Wenger who was well known for procrastinating into signings.
He appeared to be notoriously stubborn on both ethical & cash values.
Once Dein was gone Arsène was pretty much running the whole shebang. It's well reported He treated the clubs money virtually as his own. Rightly he gets lots of credit for how seriously he took his duty to the club

So the question is could we see him saying No to spending X amount on a player🤔

Absolutely if he felt he wasn't getting value from the market.
Perhaps the market had moved on at a pace?

I think the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Nothing more than I expected from these two. Churchill said history is written by the victors.

Yeah, I’m not crazy about this piece by the Athletic because of exactly this. Too bias towards KSE who did a lot wrong during that period but they didn’t mention.

Insists Arsène didn’t want to spend, with no quotes or any sort of back up. It contradicts a lot that was said in Wenger’s book and the list of modern players he regularly reels off in almost having signed but missing out. Ødegaard being one of them.

The pain Wenger felt when he was forced to sell his best players and him taking the brunt of the public ire due to the silent majority owner was conveniently glossed over as well.

It’s a useless puff piece essentially which makes me even more distrustful of KSE really.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
It's their club to be honest, you support you have to go along with them as it stands.

If they felt like ****ting on Wenger's legacy for whatever reason they got a great guy for the process so fair play to them I guess. To the surprise of virtually nobody, we are now back to competing the moment they threw some money for a while.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

been pushing that narrative forever:

McNicholas likes to push this narrative as well. I remember when we let Auba go and didn't bring anyone in forcing a knackered Lacazette.

He was like "which manager wouldn't want players? Except Arsène Wenger". Even though the Auba/Vlahovic dynamic was the perfect example of why you might not end up with somebody after a window as many managers abstain when they don't get first choice.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

David Dein said he had to talk Wenger who was well known for procrastinating into signings.
He appeared to be notoriously stubborn on both ethical & cash values.
Once Dein was gone Arsène was pretty much running the whole shebang. It's well reported He treated the clubs money virtually as his own. Rightly he gets lots of credit for how seriously he took his duty to the club

So the question is could we see him saying No to spending X amount on a player🤔

Absolutely if he felt he wasn't getting value from the market.
Perhaps the market had moved on at a pace?

I think the truth will be somewhere in the middle.
Absolute nonsense. I've read just about everything Arsène has ever written and there's absolutely no indication that he treated the clubs money as his own, He was one of most humble managers the prem has ever seen. He fully understood the need to spend money in order to succeed. It's just for yesrs he never had much, and it was a made up story by all the entitle prople who wanted him out, that he really had money but refused to spend it.

And Arsène was always respectful of both the owners and the Chief Executive who employed him. It was Gazidis who persuaded Arsène to switch to stat DNA method of transfer buying. Sometimes bringing targets into conflict between the data analysis and scout recommendations. Arsène says in his book that he very much wanted Griezmann but was persuaded against it. Clear evidence that he most certainly did not run the 'whole shebang', as you put it.

All this 'it's well reported that' and he 'appeared to be' is typical of the lies made up about him. There are no facts and no corroborative evidence of McNicholas's claims. It's just an ongoing narrative that gathers pace the more times its told.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

McNicholas likes to push this narrative as well. I remember when we let Auba go and didn't bring anyone in forcing a knackered Lacazette.

He was like "which manager wouldn't want players? Except Arsène Wenger". Even though the Auba/Vlahovic dynamic was the perfect example of why you might not end up with somebody after a window as many managers abstain when they don't get first choice.
This. Must be incredibly frustrating for Arsène to read this stuff still circulating. Sadly most of the people lapping this up are big Arteta supporters who are using this to feel vindicated now that Arteta is starting to succeed. 'We were right to remove him' articles.

The irony is, that unlike his cult supporters, Arteta himself, who actually worked with Arsène has nothing but respect for the man. And to his credit says nothing but good things about him. But of course he knew the truth.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Absolute nonsense. I've read just about everything Arsène has ever written and there's absolutely no indication that he treated the clubs money as his own, He was one of most humble managers the prem has ever seen. He fully understood the need to spend money in order to succeed. It's just for yesrs he never had much, and it was a made up story by all the entitle prople who wanted him out, that he really had money but refused to spend it.
There actually was money as we were making massive profits at the time, think they were careful in case there was any disruption in our income that we have enough in the bank to go through it, and there was a requirement for our stadium loan to have some money in the bank. Fans wanted all that money to be spent on new toys without considering any potential negative side effects

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

So I'm being led to believe that we spent big on Özil and Alexis two seasons in a row, then only Helmet in 2015 while we splashed big money on Mustafi + Xhaka the following season and the reason in 2015 was that we had no money?

****ing spare me please.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

So I'm being led to believe that we spent big on Özil and Alexis two seasons in a row, then only Helmet in 2015 while we splashed big money on Mustafi + Xhaka the following season and the reason in 2015 was that we had no money?

****ing spare me please.
Not an uncommon scenario. Liverpool in 19/20 only spent £10m. The season before they bought Alisson, Keita and Fabinho and the season after they bought Joto and Thiago. You think that fans on Red and White.Kop were saying Klopp had been given millions but refused to spend it.

GDeep™

League is very weak

****ing spare me please.
Circular argument because it’s been said before but why would any manager NOT spend? Wenger always improved his teams during the Highbury days, loved spending.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Tbf, a point both sides seem to be missing is that it’s perfectly reasonable to have say 30M to spend, and not feel like there’s any value for money in the market.

It isn’t either there was somehow randomly and suddenly absolutely no money, or Wenger was rolling in cash but just didn’t WANT to spend anything. It takes the right players being available at the right prices too.

You don’t spend for the sake of it. Given the constraints Wenger had to deal with, it’s reasonable to assume (and hope) he would be careful with how he allocated the limited resources he had available. Any misstep with these sorts of constraints could have awful side effects for future spending. So why spend 30M on a player you value at 15M or 20M just for the sake of spending it? Especially when you can hold onto it and invest more heavily on better value the following season, for e.g.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
It
Tbf, a point both sides seem to be missing is that it’s perfectly reasonable to have say 30M to spend, and not feel like there’s any value for money in the market.

It isn’t either there was somehow randomly and suddenly absolutely no money, or Wenger was rolling in cash but just didn’t WANT to spend anything. It takes the right players being available at the right prices too.

You don’t spend for the sake of it. Given the constraints Wenger had to deal with, it’s reasonable to assume (and hope) he would be careful with how he allocated the limited resources he had available. Any misstep with these sorts of constraints could have awful side effects for future spending. So why spend 30M on a player you value at 15M or 20M just for the sake of spending it? Especially when you can hold onto it and invest more heavily on better value the following season, for e.g.
I think this is more like it.
I remember missing out on Xabi Alonso because Liverpool wanted 18m & we were only prepared to go to 15m. What im saying is that in a rapidly changing market Arsène/Arsenal may have under valued certain players unfortunately. I also remember we wanted Modric but the price was deemed to high & so he ended up at Sp**s.

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom