• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Can't wait for the season to start, to see what Arteta can do with another £200m+ in players under his belt.

Looking on Transfermarkt, I see since 2019 the club has given Arteta more money for players from their own funds than any other team. No 1 for club spending. That's some backing. Now we really do have a chance to win the league and more! COYG!

BE41-C73-C-897-B-43-A9-9845-A42-D65161331.jpg
Agree with everything - but interesting you say the bolded after highlighting the backing received since 2019, when our squad cost as far as I know remains 5th.

No1 club for spending since 2019 is irrelevant unless it increases our squad cost ranking, so seems a bit moot to bring up as a reference for winning the league, no?

Hopefully we can close the gap to the top, and that we can continue over performing in the meantime.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Agree with everything - but interesting you say the bolded after highlighting the backing received since 2019, when our squad cost as far as I know remains 5th.

No1 club for spending since 2019 is irrelevant unless it increases our squad cost ranking, so seems a bit moot to bring up as a reference for winning the league, no?

Hopefully we can close the gap to the top, and that we can continue over performing in the meantime.
We’ll have to wait and see what position we are when the data is published in September.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

We’ll have to wait and see what position we are when the data is published in September.
And yet you are making the win the league and more statements now!

I am optimistic, but not quite that optimistic… and I don’t expect us to suddenly be at the top of the squad cost chain come September.

But we overachieved heavily last season - if we close the cost gap even slightly while maintaining our level of play, could it be?…… it’s nice to dream!

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Arteta is a chequebook Manager if you are even top 5 in Europe you are Chequebook manager with PSG and Real in the mix. If Arsenal fail the only reason they won’t win will be the manager. Ps wages are skyrocketing we are moving up charts which is fine but please no more money excuse

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Still think we have a little bit to go to beat City to the title, probably another season at least.

If you look at our starting 11, only 4 have played significant roles in trophy winning teams...with zero of them playing main roles in our last piece of silverware back in 2020...and that's not even factoring in having a young manager like Mikel who's still learning.

Money has helped us in the last few years, but we still don't have a lot of that trophy winning experience compared to City... that's something you have to develop.

That's why it's important to win the FA cup this year, will give this group some crucial belief that they could win the league going forward.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

People out here talking like Mikels spent over a billion to get to this squad. He spent £400M to get us back into challenging for the title…

@Makingtrax post is an interesting one, but only really relevant for the goalkeeper position.

It’s absolutely elite from Arteta and co to have such a high hit rate with signings over £20M. A really difficult job to get right but they’ve nailed it, we haven’t had to recycle any of our £20M + signings because they’ve been bad.

Now is the stage where we can sign players who are better than what we have and create depth. For example Rice is signed and Partey is now going to be depth. Timber was signed and ultimately he will bench either White or Zinchenko.

This is what the best clubs in the world do, Wenger had the opportunity to do this but he always loved the guys he was loyal to, the Walcott’s etc just kept on getting chances.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

People out here talking like Mikels spent over a billion to get to this squad. He spent £400M to get us back into challenging for the title…

@Makingtrax post is an interesting one, but only really relevant for the goalkeeper position.

It’s absolutely elite from Arteta and co to have such a high hit rate with signings over £20M. A really difficult job to get right but they’ve nailed it, we haven’t had to recycle any of our £20M + signings because they’ve been bad.

Now is the stage where we can sign players who are better than what we have and create depth. For example Rice is signed and Partey is now going to be depth. Timber was signed and ultimately he will bench either White or Zinchenko.

This is what the best clubs in the world do, Wenger had the opportunity to do this but he always loved the guys he was loyal to, the Walcott’s etc just kept on getting chances.
Exactly. We all love Wenger but his policy of not "killing" a mediocre player that he had an attachment to is as much a reason why he never won another title after 2004 as the financial constraints. It's crazy to me how people watch the best manager in the world operate like this but then don't understand why Arteta would do it within the framework of our smaller budget. It's how you win.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Hasn't been a lottery for Arteta & Edu though. Lottery has a quite small possibility to win, and they have got most of their transfers right, especially the bigger the money spent on a player.

It's a lottery for Ten Hairs for example, as most of his buys go wrong. Or maybe like for Chelsea.

Weird isn't it? Money alone isn't enough for success.
Rubbish! Of course it’s a lottery. Arteta and Edu have had the same problems other clubs have had, you just never know how a player will fit in. Ødegaard . . bingo, Tavares . . . dud, White at RB . . , bingo, Cedric . . . dud, Rice . . . bingo, Lokonga . . . dud, Jesus . . . bingo, Willian . . . dud etc. Clearly the more you spend the less chance of a problem, but Pepe and a few United and Chelsea players have shown you can still get expensive players that struggle. Vieira, Havertz and Ramsdale still might get rejected next year, Arteta doesn’t hang about and he’s got the money.

IrishGooner93

Rubbish! Of course it’s a lottery. Arteta and Edu have had the same problems other clubs have had, you just never know how a player will fit in. Ødegaard . . bingo, Tavares . . . dud, White at RB . . , bingo, Cedric . . . dud, Rice . . . bingo, Lokonga . . . dud, Jesus . . . bingo, Willian . . . dud etc. Clearly the more you spend the less chance of a problem, but Pepe and a few United and Chelsea players have shown you can still get expensive players that struggle. Vieira, Havertz and Ramsdale still might get rejected next year, Arteta doesn’t hang about and he’s got the money.
You're so boring, repetitive and transparent.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Arsenal have spent just under £700m since Arteta’s been here, but more importantly because he’s had so few sales, the club has forked out £540m from it’s own funds on players. That’s the Third biggest spend in all 5 major European leagues.

As someone who’s been banging on for ages about the club needing to spend money to make us competitive, I think it was exactly what was needed.

LookingForEric

But look at what you’ve just said. The dud’s you mention have been the tree’s or smaller fees. The “bingo” players have been the guys we’ve signed for £20M +. That is not a lottery my friend. Getting such a high hit rate on the big signings is a very difficult thing to do.

LookingForEric

Arsenal have spent just under £700m since Arteta’s been here, but more importantly because he’s had so few sales, the club has forked out £540m from it’s own funds on players. That’s the Third biggest spend in all 5 major European leagues.

As someone who’s been banging on for ages about the club needing to spend money to make us competitive, I think it was exactly what was needed.

Arsenal have spent £600M since Arteta has been here. We didn’t have many sellable assets in that same period of time, lots of dead weight on silly wages.

However, he spent £400M to actually title challenge. There’s a huge difference because this season isn’t over yet, it’s just started, so you can’t factor in last summers spend just yet.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But look at what you’ve just said. The dud’s you mention have been the tree’s or smaller fees. The “bingo” players have been the guys we’ve signed for £20M +. That is not a lottery my friend. Getting such a high hit rate on the big signings is a very difficult thing to do.
Not sure I understand that post Spray.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Arsenal have spent £600M since Arteta has been here. We didn’t have many sellable assets in that same period of time, lots of dead weight on silly wages.

However, he spent £400M to actually title challenge. There’s a huge difference because this season isn’t over yet, it’s just started, so you can’t factor in last summers spend just yet.
It’s much nearer £700m mate.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We all agree it is bit of both. But even you have to agree that the fact that the board is willing to spend on the squad is, at least partly, to Arteta and Edu's credit. You might not give Arteta as much credit as I do for example, but think we at least somewhat agree here.
Don’t I’ve criticised his managerial ability on here since the year he was 5th, but you know, there’s a lot of very sensitive people about bro.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

And there you go again. Willian and Cedric were free transfers, Runarsson cost like max. 2 million pounds. Tavares cost 8 million pounds and Arsenal very likely gets the money back. Like they did from Mari.

You didn't understand the point that it's can't be a lottery when you get most of the transfers right, especially the one's that cost a bit more. And you have to take into account the transfer market inflation so for example 8 million for Tavares is nothing.

For United and maybe Chelsea it looks like a lottery, but for Arteta and Edu it can't be a lottery because they have got most of the transfers right. United is a great example how even if you spend money, it's not a guaranteed success. Chelsea remains to be seen, but it's not looking good.

Arteta and Edu have done exceptionally well with the money they have spent.

LookingForEric

It’s much nearer £700m mate.

According to Transfermarkt Arteta has spent 688M euros at Arsenal. This equates to £597M.

So no, it’s isn’t much nearer, why you trying to whack on extra P’s to prove a point?

Also to the first message, I meant free’s, as in free signings. The free signings and cheaper players have mainly been duds.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom