• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The new offside rule

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Yeah, this isn't going to cause just as many problems when 1/4 of someone's toe or finger plays them on or offside.

I think you just have to accept that some offsides are always going to have a degree of ambiguity around them.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, this isn't going to cause just as many problems when 1/4 of someone's toe or finger plays them on or offside.

I think you just have to accept that some offsides are always going to have a degree of ambiguity around them.
So the new thing is going to be

"But from this angle it's not clear that he's fully ahead of the defender!"

At the end of the day we have the technology to measure offside without a doubt. Whether it's by using clear daylight or by having a body part ahead we're always going to have close offsides. I don't really see the point of changing the criteria now that we have the technology to guarantee 100% accuracy.

edit: Just seen it's so that we have more goals in the game. FGS Haaland is gonna score 100 next season.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
2 replies in 30 mins.

Damn. The fall of @A_G continues.
They’re just rate limited, they ain’t seen this yet

200.gif

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
So the new thing is going to be

"But from this angle it's not clear that he's fully ahead of the defender!"

At the end of the day we have the technology to measure offside without a doubt. Whether it's by using clear daylight or by having a body part ahead we're always going to have close offside. I don't really see the point of changing the criteria now that we have the technology to guarantee 100% accuracy.
True, there will always be a discussion. But I'd rather have this than the 1MM offside because of a shoelace.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
This will be a gigantic gain for pacy forwards. Will make offside traps much more difficult to execute as you can't just be in line with the attackers anymore and quickly step up, will be difficult for the defenders to visually discern whether they are in line with the forwards.

Think it'll result in a lot less offside calls, especially for stuff like scrambles in the box.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Teams like Man City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc will have a field day with this. The days of Big Sam setting up a solid defence to block teams like City and catch them offside will be numbered. Can see teams in CL places all getting 90+ points.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
This is Arsène’s new idea, to get more goals scored and to give more advantage to the attacker. If it comes in it’ll make the game much more exciting. A big change.

Watch for even more record breaking points totals and more goals scored for teams at the top of the league.

This is gonna favour fast forwards like Haaland and will really mess with our high line.

Is it all agreed etc?

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Teams like Man City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc will have a field day with this. The days of Big Sam setting up a solid defence to block teams like City and catch them offside will be numbered. Can see teams in CL places all getting 90+ points.
Idk, I’m not so sure about that. I think it plays against teams with a high line whose defence is built around the idea of catching people offside. If you set up a low block then through balls are difficult anyway, it’s the whole point of a low block..,

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This is gonna favour fast forwards like Haaland and will really mess with our high line.

Is it all agreed etc?
It is going to mess with all top teams' high lines. Overall it might force most teams to play more spread out. The period when defenders get adjusted will also be havoc.

Not a big fan of changing the offside rules. They have been the same for ages. One could also just use an older idea and not call offsides within say 30 yards of the halfway line.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
1 theory I saw mentioned is that teams will sit deeper to counter the threat. It could make some teams less attacking

It will also make it really hard for City and Arsenal to play a high line possession game because on the counter we'll both be in big trouble.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

1 theory I saw mentioned is that teams will sit deeper to counter the threat. It could make some teams less attacking

It will also make it really hard for City and Arsenal to play a high line possession game because on the counter we'll both be in big trouble.

I’m now much much much happier with the Rice transfer than I was yesterday…

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This will be a gigantic gain for pacy forwards. Will make offside traps much more difficult to execute as you can't just be in line with the attackers anymore and quickly step up, will be difficult for the defenders to visually discern whether they are in line with the forwards.

Think it'll result in a lot less offside calls, especially for stuff like scrambles in the box.
I’m all for changes that improve the game but I feel like this is a bit too much of an advantage to forwards. I’d rather just stick to the original rules and add a slight tolerance seeing as we have the technology to do that now.

We’re also going to get coaches advising forwards to start their runs with a leg/arm all the way back in unnatural positions. :lol:

Hopefully this doesn’t make it past the trial stage.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Latest posts

Top Bottom