• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Manberg

Predator
Auba's going on a free. Sell Lacazette he's not good enough. Jury's still out on Nketiah. Bring in an agile striker. Someone like Lautaro Martinez. Next Aguero.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
IMO it's too flat as a pairing. Neither possesses any pure athleticism, and while they're defensively quite solid, they're quite limited in terms of ball progression - Xhaka can pass and even then he kills a few counters with inconsistent execution, and Torreira is surprisingly decent at it but rarely chooses the progressive option so far as an Arsenal player.

Torreira is someone I'd be reluctant to write off but, like Guendouzi, he's someone who I'd let go if the money was right.

Aren't both Xhaka and Guendouzi pretty good progressive passers though?

EWdFs53WkAEOrsv

And I agree that there's a lack of athleticism in there. But when Torreira is fit and assigned that destructive role you can't argue that he doesn't put himself about, if you want him to make tackles and interceptions he'll absolutely do that for you.

At the moment it feels like both Torreira and Guendouzi could leave and i'm left sort of scratching my head and wondering how we've failed (if it happens) to develop these players. They're both young and very talented midfielders. I totally believe if they left they could go on to have fantastic careers at the top level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Aren't both Xhaka and Guendouzi pretty good progressive passers though?

EWdFs53WkAEOrsv

And I agree that there's a lack of athleticism in there. But when Torreira is fit and assigned that destructive role you can't argue that he doesn't put himself about, if you want him to make tackles and interceptions he'll absolutely do that for you.

At the moment it feels like both Torreira and Guendouzi could leave and i'm left sort of scratching my head and wondering how we've failed (if it happens) to develop these players. They're both young and very talented midfielders. I totally believe if they left they could go on to have fantastic careers at the top level.
There's just no chemistry between any of the 3 of them. I think Torreira is a good duel-winner but his slight stature and lack of pure athleticism does count against him honestly - in the PL, you do need a bit more beef in midfield. Not to go all Vince McMahon on this, but it's true and we are severely lacking in athleticism as well as pure all-round technical quality.

Individually? All good players, but ideally, we'd have to pick 1 out of the 3 to stay. None of them fit together.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
3-4-2-1
Leno
Saliba Hummels Holding
AMN McGinn Partey Saka
Pepe Grealish
Aubameyang​

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I am hoping Orny is right about our interest in Mings.

Big, physical, leader, left footed CB thats decent on the ball.

I know some footy snobs would turm their noses up at signing a CB from a relegated team but thinking about it Mings is better than any CB at Utd and Chelsea.

Hinderz

I know some footy snobs would turm their noses up at signing a CB from a relegated team but thinking about it Mings is better than any CB at Utd and Chelsea.
We could do a lot worse then taking the best talent from the relegated teams to fatten up our squad depth (except for the prices from buying from PL clubs)

Last edited:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I am hoping Orny is right about our interest in Mings.

Big, physical, leader, left footed CB thats decent on the ball.

Villa paid 20m to sign Mings, I’m sure they’d want a similar fee but why pay that fee when you could get Gabriel Magalhães for the same amount. He’s the better player and has a lot more potential.

Plus Gabriel is 22 and Mings is 27.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Mings is crap to average. Decent physical attributes, but awkward on the ball, poor positionally and unproven. No thank you.

We need far better than this level of player.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mings is crap to average. Decent physical attributes, but awkward on the ball, poor positionally and unproven. No thank you.

We need far better than this level of player.

Yeah don't get the obsession with Mings at all. He's at his level imo. I mean he pretty much flopped at Bournemouth, that should tell you everything. He seems like a nice lad but he's nowhere near good enough.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Mings is 27 and has had one full season playing regularly in the PL for a pretty bad Villa team. He's barely any more experienced than Mari and everyone has doubts about him. Even if you wanted to buy a CB from England there are better options surely.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
If we can somehow stump up the cash for Partey and Grealish then I reckon that'd make the biggest difference between this season and next.

Partey would just add that grown-up maturity to the midfield, hopefully making it much more solid.

Grealish I'd like partly just cos all the yer da pundits like him and maybe if he played for Arsenal they'd start giving us a fair hearing. Also he creates chances, and that's what we need most of all.

Shalmaneser V

Grealish is decent. My main question marks against him are his work ethic and commitment.

Get Özil vibes with him in a way. Good on the ball but a bit lazy, he seems like another one of those players who will go missing when the going gets tough. He’s not the roll your sleeves up and get stuck in passionate kind that we’re crying out for.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Grealish is decent. My main question marks against him are his work ethic and commitment.

Get Özil vibes with him in a way. Good on the ball but a bit lazy, he seems like another one of those players who will go missing when the going gets tough. He’s not the roll your sleeves up and get stuck in passionate kind that we’re crying out for.

Tbh I don't really care if my attacking midfielder 'rolls his sleeves up' or not, that's not really his job. If Özil was still creating chances like he used to then I'd be perfectly happy with him and we wouldn't need a new attacking midfielder. Özil's problem isn't his work ethic, it's that he's not creating like he used to.

Grealish makes 2.7 key passes and 2.1 dribbles a game. That's really good, and he could probably improve on those numbers in a better team.

Shalmaneser V

Tbh I don't really care if my attacking midfielder 'rolls his sleeves up' or not, that's not really his job. If Özil was still creating chances like he used to then I'd be perfectly happy with him and we wouldn't need a new attacking midfielder. Özil's problem isn't his work ethic, it's that he's not creating like he used to.

Grealish makes 2.7 key passes and 2.1 dribbles a game. That's really good, and he could probably improve on those numbers in a better team.

The work ethic has to go up next season. Our players have been in their comfort zone for too long. I want us to recruit players with passion and hard graft as well as technical ability. Not sure Grealish fits that profile.

Or am I chatting sh it?

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Grealish has work ethic. I just don't think he's good enough to get us back into the Champions League. Not many players are in isolation, but Grealish isn't.

Here's a realistic wishlist. Let's go Umtiti/Ake (30m) , Rabiot (25m), Partey (45m), Coutinho (15m loan fee) and Butland (5m). 120m. Auba and Saka on new contracts.

Sell Mustafi (10m), Chambers (15m), Holding (15m plus add ons), Mavropanos (10m), El Nenny (5m), Torreria (25m), Guendouzi (35m), AMN (25m), Mkhi (10m), Lacazette (35m). 185m

----------------------------Leno---------------------------
-------------------Umtiti-----------Luiz------------------
--Bellerin--------------------------------------Tierney--
------------------Rabiot-----------Partey----------------
--------Pepe-------------Coutinho---------Saka--------
--------------------------Auba----------------------------

Bench from: Martinez/Butland, Soares, Salibah, Mari, Kolasinac, Medley, Xhaka, Willock, ESR, Nelson, Martinelli, Nketiah.

We only have one youngster starting.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom