• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

cannonade

Established Member
^
Everyone wants Reus, but he's happy at Dortmund. Can't see him leaving until Klopp goes, and that may be be a few years.
Sagna's good as gone.

Anzac

Established Member
Let's use the FFP outcomes to our advantage.

PSG have enough HG players to meet their requirements but they may not be of title winning quality.
Citeh are looking like they may be in some trouble re HG compliance if their current HG players look to leave.
Both will need to sell if thy want to improve their squad balances.
Zenit will have no issues re HG component but will have issues re their wages.

If we are prepared to spend we could set the squad up for the remainder of the decade.

PSG - Cavani, Pastore, Lucas, van der Weil, Verratti, Lavezzi
Citeh - Dzeko, Navas, Jovetic, Boyata
Zenit - Hulk, Witsel, Rondon,

I also wonder if any players may be looking to leave the Ukraine?

Shakhtar - Wellingtem Nem, Fred, Bernard,

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Anzac said:

PSG have enough HG players to meet their requirements but they may not be of title winning quality.
Citeh are looking like they may be in some trouble re HG compliance if their current HG players look to leave.

If we are prepared to spend we could set the squad up for the remainder of the decade.

Those PSG, Zenit (and the available Barca and maybe Real)players are very interesting but I just worry about the wages that the likes of Cavani, Moura, Witsel and Hulk are on. Those 3 would be fantastic but would happily take Verratti, Lavezzi, Hulk as well.

Very wishlisty but:

-------------------------Ramsey---------Witsel--------------------------------
-------Theo/Santi---------------Özil------------------Moura/Hulk--------------
------------------------------Cavani/Theo-------------------------------------

a box to box on Ramseys level in Witsel, Brazilian magic in Moura and hulk and a 30 goal a season striker in Cavani. Would cost 100m but 42.5 and lot the impact!

We'd have t wave goodbye to one of Flamini/Arteta, Coquellin, Aneke, Park, Podolski, Campbell, Bendtner, Giroud for around £25 million so an overall spend of 75m.

Anzac

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Anzac said:

Those PSG, Zenit (and the available Barca and maybe Real)players are very interesting but I just worry about the wages that the likes of Cavani, Moura, Witsel and Hulk are on. Those 3 would be fantastic but would happily take Verratti, Lavezzi, Hulk as well.

Very wishlisty but:

-------------------------Ramsey---------Witsel--------------------------------
-------Theo/Santi---------------Özil------------------Moura/Hulk--------------
------------------------------Cavani/Theo-------------------------------------

a box to box on Ramseys level in Witsel, Brazilian magic in Moura and hulk and a 30 goal a season striker in Cavani. Would cost 100m but 42.5 and lot the impact!

We'd have t wave goodbye to one of Flamini/Arteta, Coquellin, Aneke, Park, Podolski, Campbell, Bendtner, Giroud for around £25 million so an overall spend of 75m.

IF these sanctions do impact then IMO it's almost a win/win scenario for us.

AW can make his usual offers based upon his player valuations and can offer wages in accordance with that. The worst case scenario is that either another club is prepared to pay top dollar in which case we go with Plan B options (Benzema, Griezmann, Vela etc), or the players stay at their current clubs and the scenario worsens re FFP.

In theory we should be able to use this opportunity to our advantage one way or the other and should go into next season in a strong position.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
We need to find a player who can offer the goal-scoring of Podolski but has pace and skill to add more of a threat to get in behind.

Griezmann looks like he is ready to take the next step up. Has good link up and is very pacy, was watching a lot of Vela game compilations, a lot of his best work was playing in Griezmann who could apply the special finish, he made some fantastic runs.

We have enough buildup in Özil, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, we need some runners. Podolski isn't really a runner, just a finisher, he doesn't stretch defences.

What a cup win!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

In terms of out and out strikers these could be options for us in the summer

-Edison Cavani (not very realistic)

-Karim Benzema (slightly more likely than Cavani)

-Mario Mandzukic (realistic enough, probably really underwhelming and doesn't offer what we need)

-Wilfred Bony (he's like a better version of what we want from Giroud, although Giroud probably has better link up play, Bony is more mobile and a better finisher)

-Loic Remy (another underwhelming option, although is very quick and can finish)

In terms of wide/inside forwards

-Pedro (extremely unlikely)

-Alexis Sanchez (could be sold by Barca)

-Griezmann (reasonably likely, good finisher and quite quick)

-Carlos Vela (the cheap option, could be very very special return or completely mediocre.

Di Maria is another name being linked about, he's probably a more natural wide man than an inside forward, although arguably the most talented and most "special" player out of all those names, an option could be to use him wide with Theo maybe up front.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Tir Na Nog said:
In terms of out and out strikers these could be options for us in the summer

-Edison Cavani (not very realistic)

-Karim Benzema (slightly more likely than Cavani)

-Mario Mandzukic (realistic enough, probably really underwhelming and doesn't offer what we need)

-Wilfred Bony (he's like a better version of what we want from Giroud, although Giroud probably has better link up play, Bony is more mobile and a better finisher)

-Loic Remy (another underwhelming option, although is very quick and can finish)

In terms of wide/inside forwards

-Pedro (extremely unlikely)

-Alexis Sanchez (could be sold by Barca)

-Griezmann (reasonably likely, good finisher and quite quick)

-Carlos Vela (the cheap option, could be very very special return or completely mediocre.

Di Maria is another name being linked about, he's probably a more natural wide man than an inside forward, although arguably the most talented and most "special" player out of all those names, an option could be to use him wide with Theo maybe up front.
We've also been linked with Lacazette.

truth_hurts

GK - Fabianski to stay but unlikely so we should sign viviano (3m)

Defence - Vermaelen (10m) and Djourou (3m) out and Aurier and Richards in for a net spend of around 1m. Monreal out for 6m and Contraea (spelling) in for 10m. Gibbs and jenkinson as back-up.

Midfield - Coquellin out (3m), Flamini, Diaby, Rosicky and Arteta as bit part players before leaving next summer and a new midfield maestro is brought in for 15-30 million just to throw some names out there - Martinez, Khedeira, Witsel, Cesc. Most important feature has to be talent over style. We haven't had a world class CM since vieira left and Cesc changed to AM.

Attack - OUT: Bendtner, Park, Podolski, Giroud, Afobe, Akpom (loan) Sanogo (loan), Gnabry (loan) for 25m plus. In comes a devastating attacker to throw some names around Sanchez, Cavani, Balotelli, Moura, Di Maria and Campbell comes back from his loan. This could cost up to 50m and ideally but unrealistically we bring in two 25m players such as Sanchez and Balotelli.

wishful_llama

truth_hurts said:

Defence - Vermaelen (10m) and Djourou (3m) out and Aurier and Richards in for a net spend of around 1m. Monreal out for 6m and Contraea (spelling) in for 10m. Gibbs and jenkinson as back-up.

Midfield - Coquellin out (3m), Flamini, Diaby, Rosicky and Arteta as bit part players before leaving next summer and a new midfield maestro is brought in for 15-30 million just to throw some names out there - Martinez, Khedeira, Witsel, Cesc. Most important feature has to be talent over style. We haven't had a world class CM since vieira left and Cesc changed to AM.

Attack - OUT: Bendtner, Park, Podolski, Giroud, Afobe, Akpom (loan) Sanogo (loan), Gnabry (loan) for 25m plus. In comes a devastating attacker to throw some names around Sanchez, Cavani, Balotelli, Moura, Di Maria and Campbell comes back from his loan. This could cost up to 50m and ideally but unrealistically we bring in two 25m players such as Sanchez and Balotelli.

Vermaelen out to be replaced by Micah Richards :shock:
Fabio Coentrao...meh
Balotelli, no thanks. He's so overrated it's unbelievable.
Getting rid of 2 of the top 3 goal scorers in the team :roll:
Joel Campbell is incredibly, incredibly average. Not an Arsenal level player.

I'd like:

1) Sagna stay. Unlikely but it seems he might be considering it now.
2) Either a young prospect or experienced CB to come in as 4th choice behind BFG, Kos and Verms.
3) Sign Viviano or extend loan as Szczesny backup
4) Starting XI CM to partner Ramsey. Ideally Martinez
5) Wide forward left. I'd be over the moon with Sanchez or Di Maria.
6) CF. No Loic Remys, Wilfried Bonys or Christian Bentekes of the world, we need a top class CF to battle it out with Giroud next season.

Realistically this won't all happen, but if 2/3rds of it did and we addressed the glaring issues in the squad I'd be happy with our activity in the window.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

wishful_llama said:
truth_hurts said:

Fabio Coentrao...meh

I'd like:

2) Either a young prospect or experienced CB to come in as 4th choice behind BFG, Kos and Verms.
6) CF. No Loic Remys, Wilfried Bonys or Christian Bentekes of the world, we need a top class CF to battle it out with Giroud next season.

Realistically this won't all happen, but if 2/3rds of it did and we addressed the glaring issues in the squad I'd be happy with our activity in the window.

I agree with pretty much all of this.... point 5 is still the most unrealistic one.... well not a starting top class wide left player anyways... I don't think. I believe more is likely is that we'll sign a top striker (hopefully) and then sign a versatile forward who can play in a number of positions although not necessarily guaranteed to start.

I think the most important thing is holding player and a forward (any type) who either has a real threat about him or will guarantee to increase our goals tally drastically.

truth_hurts

wishful_llama said:
truth_hurts said:

Fabio Coentrao...meh

I'd like:

1&2.) Richards has done far more in the premiership than Thomas '4 month purple patch' Vermaelen has, he is a good right back and can do a solid job filling in at CB every now and again. Would love Sagna to stay but it is extremely unlikely so we need TWO players if him and Vermaelen leave hence Aurier and Richards.

3.) Agreed

4.) so again the same.

5.) Do you want a 40 man squad? you have suggested that it is laughable to sell our two top scorers (ignoring Theo has been injured all of 2014) so how on earth do you intend to keep Podolski, Giroud, Santi Theo, Di maria and a new top class striker all happy? not to mention Wilshere and Ox who could play in the wide forward positions.

6.) So giroud and Podolski both stay how are we funding a new striker and his wages?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I got flamed a hell of a lot in the Lobby for suggesting this, but I was thinking along the lines of maybe getting some players for less vital positions from the relegated clubs, in particular Fulham and Cardiff.

I can see a bidding war for Caulker, far too good for the championship but I think Stekelenburg would be a good shout for back up, he's experienced and he's had to sit on the Fulham so don't see why he'd have a problem with it here.

I also think Dan Burn is a decent talent, young, English, strong CB who could easily fill in as 4th choice. Fulham also have a next level talent in 17yo Patrick Roberts, the kid looks amazing, Bale-esque set of skills, apparently Arsène's been looking at him and I'd love to see him here.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I would sign one big marquee player to go alongside the two we already have - Özil and Ramsey.

edinson-cavani-napoli.jpg

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

GDeep said:
I would sign one big marquee player to go alongside the two we already have - Özil and Ramsey.

edinson-cavani-napoli.jpg

I never really watched much Napoli or PSG so I haven't seen much of him, what kind of striker is he?

I've only ever seen him in CL games where he's disappointed against Chelsea a few times but I don't like judging players off few games.

truth_hurts

Rex Banner said:
I got flamed a hell of a lot in the Lobby for suggesting this, but I was thinking along the lines of maybe getting some players for less vital positions from the relegated clubs, in particular Fulham and Cardiff.

I can see a bidding war for Caulker, far too good for the championship but I think Stekelenburg would be a good shout for back up, he's experienced and he's had to sit on the Fulham so don't see why he'd have a problem with it here.

I also think Dan Burn is a decent talent, young, English, strong CB who could easily fill in as 4th choice. Fulham also have a next level talent in 17yo Patrick Roberts, the kid looks amazing, Bale-esque set of skills, apparently Arsène's been looking at him and I'd love to see him here.

Not terrible choices but I think the issue is that our forst team is missing a couple of players rather than our bench. Our back up this year has been okay but our starting 11 has failed at crunch times.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom