• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

To the final

We are 10- down. I think we really want this trophy. I do and I think we will, but only with 1 change. On wednesday I think we will put our first team out just to get to the final and then play our usual in the final.

wiltord11

i cant see him putting out a first team cause we have a man city a couple days after the team we played on tuesday is good enough to beat middlesborough its just we couldnt really carve out one really good chance i think we've bergkamp and quicny up front there will make things happen but i can see him playing vieira if we win comfortably in the fa cup

Pat's missing Gerbil

look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we won the FA cup last year but we felt we had failed! What do you think that Carling Cup would do in compensation if we win nothing else...........absolutley nothing. We have never valued this competition under Wenger. So lets leave it to lesser teams who need to win it.....liverpool, blackburn.....etc My only disappointment each year when we get knocked is that the youths havent had a chance to play enough games in the competition. This year they have! lets not get carried away with this competition: it is a good experience for the youngsters and good match and leadership practice for 1st team players who arent getting a game. Not even icing on the cake...........maybe a decoration but nothing to brag about

jc8gooner

I don't really mind if we don't get to the final. Sure, it would be nice for the youngsters and fans alike, plus another chance to get some more silverware, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all, is it? I would not be completely gutted if we lost on Wednesday just mildly disappointed and proud of the young lads for getting so far.

reggiepaul

It's a competition and a moment for glory and moment to feel good about the team. I don't think we should really begin to apply quality to existent cup competitions that we are involved in. All the major players were involved in this and whatever they say about playing reserves and it holding no prestige - when it comes to the end you want it and maybe if we lose out at this stage we'll only realise how close we were when someone else wins it and we go out.

I think it's well worth it. I don't think we should apply demerits to it just because we play a supposedly weaker team because we've got so far now that the progression gives it enough importance, since we have been a part of this cup now and we have travelled most of the journey in the belief of making it to the end.

The oddest thing I see in reference to prestige is Sam Allardyce removing himself from the FA Cup (allegedly) because he didn't want anymore of his team to be injured. This I can't agree with especially in reflection to the way we have moved ourselves forward in the competition with youth players.

Since United won the treble winning the quad is another ambition most teams should have in mind. It's not like it is not possible and because of the possibility we should consider fighting out for all four with the amount of talent and potential we have in our grasp.

Personally I hope the Gaffer tells the team to throw it on Wed.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to win everything - but you can't... and I'd prefer us to be prioritising the Champions League (behind the Prem and the record 4th consecutive FA cup, obviously) rather than Carling Cup.

Then maybe we'll see the true outcome of another forum topic: Arsenal v Real Madrid!!! :shock:

thierrys_girl

Established Member
East Stand Man said:
Don't get me wrong I'd love to win everything - but you can't... and I'd prefer us to be prioritising the Champions League (behind the Prem and the record 4th consecutive FA cup, obviously) rather than Carling Cup.

we are going for a 3rd consective FA cup this season :wink:

reggiepaul

It's only one more game after wednesday east stand. It's Feb 29th which is the day after the Charlton game. So thinking the Charlton game will be moved for this it shouldn't be too muhc of a problem.

Personally I have a feeling we'll go all the way and win it this year.

The Mini

I'd be a bit gutted if we lost but I wouldn't go the full 9 yards to ensure we wouldn't. We'll play reserves with maybe one or two players who think they want to

Mark

Established Member
i hope bentley's goal today gives him confidence and maybe he'll feature (hopefully upfront) against boro in the second leg. i believe we can go there and win it. they've been playing pretty much the same team for all these games so their players are tired and some are injured while we have played 2 different teams. with bergkamp playing i think our attacking will be better than it was on tuesday.

Allyboy

Established Member
Lets get things in perspective.

If we had lost the penalty shoot out to Rotherham then no one would have cared! The youngsters had played well and gained experience and we were out a cup we did not really care about.

But instead we won that and now are in the semis.

However instead of being glad we played our youth team in the 3rd round, some people now are saying we should play our first team!

Getting to the Semi Final does not the Carling Cup any more important than it was when Wiltord missed the first penalty in the 3rd round shoot out and we thought we were going out.

If we play our first team on Wednesday night and beat Boro but lose Henry for the rest of the season through injury we will all be wishing we had played our reserves and lost 5-0!

reggiepaul

I don't think anyone has said we should play the first team. I think the generel consensus is getting there with a mix of first and dominantly reserve players. Just that it'd be nice to win the trophy and fight out as far as we can for all trophies. The further we get in all cups the better the club will look.

Semi finals will always be more important than 3rd rounds just like being at the top of a mountain is better than being at the bottom of it. That's the whole point.

mood

I have a feeling Wenger will play a few likes such as Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira and rest a few like Henry and Ljunberg for example.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

We won't play Henry of course; ansd quite right too.

Vieira will play as will Bentley. Parlour & Edu won the right to play on the back of great performances today in the FA Cup. Back picks itself: Stack, Keown, Cygan & Clichy.

I do expect to see Begy & one of Freddie/Bob on the bench, just in case.

Mark

Established Member
Vieira came off early today and misses the man city game so maybe he'll play, and I think Bergkamp will too but apart from that I doubt they'll be any other key players.

In agreement with Allyboy who made the point I wanted but I was too divo to get out - don't wanna risk any injury/tiredness or anything else for the second leg Celta game.

PS: Thanks to thierrys_girl. My bad - we should be prioritisng our 3rd consective FA cup victory. :eek:ops:

Sol man

Vieira will definately play because he is suspended for the Man city match. Wenger said so in his press confrence on thursday (if you have Arsenal plus listen to it and he reveals it then but i am not sure if it is the post boro or Wenger on first leg defeat)

Jinn

Established Member
So we're in the semis. Big deal - what will the CC achieve for us? Nothing. For the other clubs, it is an avenue to Europe, and big money.

If our reserve team is good enough to get us this far, its only fair that they have the opportunity to battle it out for a place in the final. The CC has been very good to us this season. It's been a way for us to blood our youngsters against Premiership quality teams - and it has paid off.

No matter what the result, I would like to think our CC adventure this season has been successful.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom