• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Toure and Lehman play big part in Reyes transfer

Alexone234

During the summer our main priority was to patch up the leaky defence that was the cause of our downfall last year.

Toure proving himself a top level defender, and Lehman coming for such a small amout of money allowed Wenger to transfer the extra capital to this weeks big money signing.

I for one am really grateful to both, as we now have the best defence in the EPL and a record breaking new Striker.

EJub

I agree, I almost wrote something similiar in the "Best Signing Ever" thread. Arsenal could not sign Reyes without Toure's flourishing play.

With question marks around how long we will keep Wiltord, Bergkamp, Kanu, and Jeffers, signing any striker is important.

I think Bergkamp will play another season and it will be the right choice.
And without any facts to back up my hunch, I think both Wiltord and Kanu stay.

Gooner83

I agree, its just great to get a new face in after watching other teams strengthen their squads.

I think we should praise Wengers judgement, because he definately knows what players to go for, you ever see him having the interests in the likes of Saha :roll:

The Mini

It's sort of a shame spending so much, we've lost our Arsenalish manner. We've never splashed out, because of the risk (Rio Ferdinand is a perfect example of splashing out going wrong)

JazzG

Established Member
The Mini said:
It's sort of a shame spending so much, we've lost our Arsenalish manner. We've never splashed out, because of the risk (Rio Ferdinand is a perfect example of splashing out going wrong)

When we don't spend then people complain and when we do some still do.

Spending small amounts simply won't go on forever, these days if there is a talent around loads of clubs know straight away and his price jumps up accordingly.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
The thing is with the youths we've got coming through we don't need any squad players, we need people who can walk straight in to the first 16.

As for Arsenal never splashing out - thats cobblers I'm afraid. We've frequently broken transfer records in the past and often spent spectacularly, right back to the 20's.

Mark

Established Member
we've only payed around £10m so far and maybe we won't have to pay that much in the future, but i'm sure we can afford it. we've signed a great player and it annoys me that the press will throw anything they can at us. when we weren't signing anyone they said we'd struggle this season, now that we have signed someone apparently henry's leaving and the stadium isn't happening. it's pathetic that they always try to put us down but i guess it'll be pretty sweet when we prove them wrong again.

Mark

Established Member
exactly. when reyes reaches his peak, £20m or whatever we end up paying will seem like a real bargain.

A

Anonymous

Mark said:
we've only payed around £10m so far and maybe we won't have to pay that much in the future, but i'm sure we can afford it. we've signed a great player and it annoys me that the press will throw anything they can at us. when we weren't signing anyone they said we'd struggle this season, now that we have signed someone apparently henry's leaving and the stadium isn't happening. it's pathetic that they always try to put us down but i guess it'll be pretty sweet when we prove them wrong again.
And maybe we wont have to pay that much in the future....Are you sure,you know what it will mean if we dont pay too much in the future,i'll tell you shall i,it will mean he's been ****e,since all future fees are dependant on appearences and goals,so i damn well hope we pay every bleeding penny especially future fees.

Aussie

Established Member
i also think reyes will also be quite loyal to arsenal like henry and co and could be around for quite some time.

Eastrek

Let's just hope he don't get homesick in a year or two!
Remember he is still a boy and with all this wait of expectation on his shoulders he might eventually prefer to be home in Spain with his family and in a climate n culture he is used to...but lets hope not lol

thierrys_girl

Established Member
i agree without Toure being discovered as a fantastic centre back we would not have the money to buy young talent.

Lehmann comming to us at such a small price also helped our usually small budget

Pikeypete

ExiledInNewcastle said:
The thing is with the youths we've got coming through we don't need any squad players, we need people who can walk straight in to the first 16.

As for Arsenal never splashing out - thats cobblers I'm afraid. We've frequently broken transfer records in the past and often spent spectacularly, right back to the 20's.

Wow, I realised you were one of our more mature senior members, but I didnt realise you can remember that far back Exciled! :lol:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
The Mini said:
Touch wood *Hits Marks head*

I really hope that all goes well Mini because I know you will be one of the first to say you were wrong. I know you are concerned and to a certain extent your liking of the smaller Arsenal v the rest of the world is romantic, but not feasible in todays football climate.

Time to move on to take the Real Madrids and Manures OFF the pitch as well as on it.

JazzG

Established Member
Pikeypete said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:

Wow, I realised you were one of our more mature senior members, but I didnt realise you can remember that far back Exciled! :lol:

He was in his 30s back in 1920s :D

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom