• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger: I WILL be in the market for a striker this January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/01/Arsène-wenger-buy-striker-january" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... er-january</a>

Obviously, Wenger doesn't rate Edu or Nick to really deliver consistently enough for a title challenge, let alone a win.

Suspected targets include: Chamakh, Gignac, Huntelaar, Balotelli(!) and Pazzini.

AshburtonGhost

Anyone have a sneaking suspicion that this is the 'appease the fans' statement after a big loss? I'll believe it when I see some quality players holding the shirt aloft on Arsenal.com.

James

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
Anyone have a sneaking suspicion that this is the 'appease the fans' statement after a big loss? I'll believe it when I see some quality players holding the shirt aloft on Arsenal.com.
Exactly. I remember his statement two summers ago.

Edit: anyone wondering why the link doesn't work, you'll have to replace the 'è' and upper case 'A'

ultradoc

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:

Big suspicion for me, not sneaking. Was about to write it before I saw your post. He will go for that Lukaku guy maybe(who has to finish school anyways) or some other similar kid. We'll be beating the other stoke and similar teams by then anyways. Sorry about the pessimism but it's wenger. It's better to just wait,not hope.

AshburtonGhost

Haha, I've spent too many transfer windows obsessively flicking through transfer rumour and Arsenal news sites to fall for this rubbish. I gave up on it at the end of 2007/2008.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
ultradoc said:
"But we will only make a decision if it suits us"

Exactement. Get-out-of-Jail-Free card, but at least he realizes that we will win nothing with Edu or Nicky spearheading the team.

Would love him to look for a CM and a GK too. Possibly a young CB if we're just going to offload Phillipe next summer.

AshburtonGhost

ultradoc said:
"But we will only make a decision if it suits us"

The quintessential Wenger disclaimer, meaning the following -

a) must not be over £15M
b) must be better than what we have
c) but strangely must not 'kill' any of our current players

Illusion

Established Member
It will be Chamakh, he ticks all the Wenger boxes.

# Based in France.
# Speaks French.
# Out of contract in the summer.
# Not going to ask the world in wages.
# Not a superstar who will demand first team action.
# Great in the air (as far as a Wenger signing goes).

If he doesn't get him I don't see him going for anyone else.

qs

Established Member
Are Morocco playing in the African Nations?

Whether we sign someone or not I'm glad he's sending a message to his strikers that they need to win their place.

invisibleman18

Established Member
How much have the prices just been raised by our latest predicament too, as opposed to what we could have got the same player for in the summer (when IMO Adebayor should have been replaced)? And not to mention anyone of the required quality will likely be European cup tied now.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Not many strikers in the market that impress me at the moment. Won't mind Balotelli certainly though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom