• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Plan For The Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is the most impressive Arsenal side I have seen since our 07-08 team

Our defense is all about team shape like it used to be in Wenger early years plus our players are telling each other off if someone makes a stupid mistake (Finally)
Our midfield is all about possession and work rate and it will get even better when Wilshere returns to his best
Our attack needs help and is the only real weak link in this team, Podolski is playing like he's been in this side for years but apart form him no one has made the position completely his.

Wenger this season wants to play 2 strikers and 4 midfielders. He's got Podolski, Giroud, Gervinho, Walcott to choose from for the 2 strikers spots and Ox, Ramsey, Diaby, Cazorla, Arteta, Coquelin, Wilshere, Rosicky, Frimpong for the 4 midfielders spot. Midfield clearly the strength and attack clearly the weakness

Wenger needs to buy a ST this winter (mobile, technically gifted, strong and a clinical finisher) if he can buy a ST like that then I will consider Arsenal a real challenger for the title.

musicmonkey

Established Member
jmsmtthw28 said:

Our defense is all about team shape like it used to be in Wenger early years plus our players are telling each other off if someone makes a stupid mistake (Finally)
Our midfield is all about possession and work rate and it will get even better when Wilshere returns to his best
Our attack needs help and is the only real weak link in this team, Podolski is playing like he's been in this side for years but apart form him no one has made the position completely his.

Wenger this season wants to play 2 strikers and 4 midfielders. He's got Podolski, Giroud, Gervinho, Walcott to choose from for the 2 strikers spots and Ox, Ramsey, Diaby, Cazorla, Arteta, Coquelin, Wilshere, Rosicky, Frimpong for the 4 midfielders spot. Midfield clearly the strength and attack clearly the weakness

Wenger needs to buy a ST this winter (mobile, technically gifted, strong and a clinical finisher) if he can buy a ST like that then I will consider Arsenal a real challenger for the title.
We need a new Henry!
Hopefully Wenger can pull a similar signing out of the bag. We've got a solid base which if a few players tidy up their game (like the GK, wingers, squad players) will be a very strong squad. Add in a player or two with some real magic, hold onto what we have and we're looking very competitive.

Accomplished

Established Member
dpt49 said:
Exactly.
This is the question that should be answered by Kroenke or Hill Wood.
We, as supporters, deserve to know where it has all gone. It is our money.

There is not another club in the world that acts like us in the transfer market.

What is the big secret, why won't they tell us?

Well you could, y'know, just look at the published financials of the club. Just a suggestion.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
musicmonkey said:
jmsmtthw28 said:

We need a new Henry!
Hopefully Wenger can pull a similar signing out of the bag. We've got a solid base which if a few players tidy up their game (like the GK, wingers, squad players) will be a very strong squad. Add in a player or two with some real magic, hold onto what we have and we're looking very competitive.
I was thinking Henry when I was writing the description of the ST I want but its so hard to find someone even close to his ability.
Sky is linking us to the likes of Llorente but I dont think we need a player like him, a target man just doesn't fit in this system that we are trying to create.

I wonder if Walcott will get a try in the CF position. He's got a good first touch and contrary to what most fans think I think he's a pretty good finisher.We need to sort out his contract mess before Jan

musicmonkey

Established Member
I agree it might just be time for Theo down the middle. Our deeper play is good enough to sacrifice for him and so far this season he seems to have shown a bit of an improvement in taking on players with him skipping past a couple of players today and slipping inside. He was starting too deep again though and the final pass was lacking, getting him right up against the the defense seems logical given it'd take those weaknesses away from his game. I just hope the contract situation doesn't stop us forming something good.

It's going to be interesting what Wenger will do. There's definitely areas for improvement but there's nowhere really glaringly obvious to strengthen and there are a few options at the club that could step up before the window.

bethie

Let me play the devil's advocate. I failed to be impressed on 3 counts;

1. Lack of a viable goalkeeper for our Polish Number 1. Please tell me you feel really confident about Don Vito cos I sure as hell am not.

2. Fail to address the striker question. Gerv blow hot and cold. Theo is on his way out. Giroud... ah, when he deliver. And when will that be? I hope not when it's too late.

3. If our Spanish maestro is out, and Jack is still not ready for first team action, who do we have for cover? Similarly for Arteta - can Le Coq be an adequate replacement? Because as of now, Rosicky and Diaby are luxury player and Ramsey is still far from convincing anyone...

DiamondGooner

Established Member
If were going to sign a ST we need a mobile one with pace and who likes to play the ball so they can get in sync with our fluid passing game and be part of the midfield build up.

No more box target men who are only good for feeding off scraps we hardly ever supply.

Buhry

Established Member

musicmonkey said:
jmsmtthw28 said:

We need a new Henry!

If we had Henry in the team we'd have had 15 points by now....

Obviously there are few if any availiable players out there with that kind of quality but I feel that a striker like that is the missing link we need in attack. Someone with skill, mobility and good finishing. if the right player is out there at a decent price we should smash our transfer record, because right now I feel that's the one player we're away from being a genuine title contender.

As for Arteta and Cazorla I think Jack can stand in for both when he gets fit, Ramsey can probably do a job too if he plays liek he did yesterday.

We need to sign a striker in January, a good one. Or Giroud needs to start banging them in, seems a bit unlikely so far though. Even if he does we still lack depth up top and another striker would not be out of place.

We're not great on the right wing either but I feel a mobile goalscorer in the middle is a more pressing issue.

morpho

Established Member
bethie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate. I failed to be impressed on 3 counts;

1. Lack of a viable goalkeeper for our Polish Number 1. Please tell me you feel really confident about Don Vito cause I sure as hell am not.

2. Fail to address the striker question. Gerv blow hot and cold. Theo is on his way out. Giroud... ah, when he deliver. And when will that be? I hope not when it's too late.

3. If our Spanish maestro is out, and Jack is still not ready for first team action, who do we have for cover? Similarly for Arteta - can Le Coq be an adequate replacement? Because as of now, Rosicky and Diaby are luxury player and Ramsey is still far from convincing anyone...

1. what club in the PL has a strong nr.3? Szcezney is more than comfortable in goal and has good competition in vito.

2. we bought the toppscorer in a very decent league. he will score goals. anyway, nice to see the goals are shared around. you dont want to be a one man team like manure do you? ;)

3. thats the beauty with our new midfield. everyone can fill in for everyone. its as fluid as it can be, and yes, even ramsey has started well

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
We're not going to find a Henry, the best player in our history, the only players on his level today are CRonaldo and Messi. Maybe we can find someone who will turn into a player nearly that good. Let's give Giroud a few more games though eh?

DiamondGooner

Established Member
We don't need a new Henry per say we need a striker who shares similar qualities, the sort of striker who can create chances for himself with movement and pace so he can play off our midfield's through balls and passing ability.

My continued issue with strikers like Giroud and Chamakh is that they possess little or hardly any of the above qualities.

Despite Gervniho's failings yesterday I'm willing to bet he'll end up with more goals this season than Giroud simply based on the fact he has a lot of those qualities except the high level finesse and finishing.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
We don't need a new Henry per say we need a striker who shares similar qualities, the sort of striker who can create chances for himself with movement and pace so he can play off our midfield's through balls and passing ability.

My continued issue with strikers like Giroud and Chamakh is that they possess little or hardly any of the above qualities.

Despite Gervniho's failings yesterday I'm willing to bet he'll end up with more goals this season than Giroud simply based on the fact he has a lot of those qualities except the high level finesse and finishing.

Wenger signing both of them must want a typical big tall no9 who can hold up the ball and. Either that or he was desperate for a striker each time. The problem with them is they aren't getting the service from crosses but I still think Giroud will be a success

Gervinho is in effect our Henry-lite he just hasn't got 2% of Henry's shooting technique but his speed, off the ball is brilliant and his dribbling pretty good

The only forward I can think of who'd improve on that is Jovetic and he's arguably out of our price range now.

Demba Ba is in that mould too, although we all know about his injury problems

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Wenger has been toying with that sort of ST for a few years now probably because he was thinking of emulating what Chelsea had with Drogba .... to this date not one of them has been a success at Arsenal.

We know what works with Wengers philosophy we've seen it, Wenger seems to have remembered as well hence the Gervinho switch.

My hunch is that Wenger won't buy a striker in January unless we get some sort of fee for Walcott, I'd suggest we try to get a bidding war for at least £7-10 mil (6 months till free) and buy a £15 mil or so striker who fit's the false no 9 mould.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
Wenger has been toying with that sort of ST for a few years now probably because he was thinking of emulating what Chelsea had with Drogba .... to this date not one of them has been a success at Arsenal.

We know what works with Wengers philosophy we've seen it, Wenger seems to have remembered as well hence the Gervinho switch.

My hunch is that Wenger won't buy a striker in January unless we get some sort of fee for Walcott, I'd suggest we try to get a bidding war for at least £7-10 mil (6 months till free) and buy a £15 mil or so striker who fit's the false no 9 mould.

Chamakh was a success in the beggining, then was benched and his form dried up. Giroud should be better than Chamakh, he's in a new league where he's only had 2 starts and 3 subs appearances.

Wenger wants 2-3 inter changing forwards anyway. I don't think it matters where the goals come from as long as they come

If we do get a forward it needs to be someone who can comfortably be a wide forward when it suits us

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
#Arsenal report to PLUS markets a profit of £36.6m for 11/12. Doesn't include £26m from Queensland Road property sales still to bank
WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
This is a huge profit, much bigger than last year I think

Wenger needs to sign a quality player in the summer
Looking at our squad we only need one attacking, 2 if wenger can get rid of Arshavin, Chamak and Walcott doesn't sign a new contract

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
redwhiteAustrian said:
Yeah, a profit!
Gone are all my sleepless nights.
sign players like Cazorla, Podolski and still make a 50m profit that's not bad
Now we need to keep our best players and it could be amazing

Yaya

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plus-sx.com/newsItem.html;jsessionid=0977C64EB6FDB23EF1BA6D567A864734?newsId=1775860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.plus-sx.com/newsItem.html;js ... Id=1775860</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom