• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I cant think of an Arsenal player I see roundly accepted by the fan base as a legend that has not won the league.

Cesc is one of my all time favorite players as well.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Vieira left for Juventus. Henry left to Barcelona to win the Champions League. Legends have left the club to join other big clubs.

Yeah,but there were reasons for that.They won everything with Arsenal,have main role in all seasons and gave everything they could for club.It's like when Lamaprd left for Man City.

Manberg

Predator
Yeah,but there were reasons for that.They won everything with Arsenal,have main role in all seasons and gave everything they could for club.It's like when Lamaprd left for Man City.

Players like Cazorla, Rosicky and Arteta have given their everything for Arsenal.

Manberg

Predator
Would never put them in same category like Henry,Vieria and others.

Only Ramsey and Sagna can maybe be legends,but even that's for debate.

Is it because of the league thing? You could put prime Vieira or Henry in our team last season and they wouldn’t win the league. Rest on that.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So Cygan and Aliadiere are legends but Ramsey, Rosicky, Arteta, Cazorla etc are not?

Flawed justifications.

I didn't say that did I. I mean to be considered a legend at this club, you have to have been an important part of a team that won the club a league title, among other things. Just my opinion.

AndStill

To be a legend you need elite talent and to show loyalty to your respective club. Both of these are needed for a sustained period. Rosicky/Arteta were great guys but not elite. Cesc/RVP were elite but not loyal.

Winning a league isn't a prerequisite but usually a result of elite talent +loyalty. Some legends never win the league such as Le Tis/Gerrard but they are regarded as legends by their fans.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Is it because of the league thing? You could put prime Vieira or Henry in our team last season and they wouldn’t win the league. Rest on that.

It's not only that.For example Arteta and Cazorla stayed too short at Arsenal to become legends.They were just not average players that were in Arsenal in some moment,but having two good seasons with club won't make someone legend.

Utd fans even debate that Ronaldo is their legend and how much he achieved there ? It's hard to get that status.

Manberg

Predator
It's not onlt that.For example Arteta and Cazorla stayed too short at Arsenal to become legends.They were just not average players that were in Arsenal in some moment,but having two good seasons with club won't make someone legend.

Utd fans even debate that Ronaldo is their legend and how much he achieved there ? It's hard to get that status.

Then what about Ramsey? Elite player who stayed at Arsenal for 10 years (longer than many legends) and was a key part in winning the club 3 trophies and often reaching top 4.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Then what about Ramsey? Elite player who stayed at Arsenal for 10 years (longer than many legends) and was a key part in winning the club 3 trophies and often reaching top 4.

Think that Ramsey's quality wasn't on same level like some other players who has legendary status.But he's probably the most close to become legend since Emirates Era.

And really there was no big clubs who knocked on the doors every season and Ramsey rejected them and wanted to stay at Arsenal.He could only settled for worse,but Wenger trusted him and gave him chance after some bad seasons.Arsenal was best that he could get in one point,so why he would change that ?

AndStill

Ramsey wasn't elite and not even close. Elite was PV, Henry, Bergkamp, Cesc , Sanchez etc. Your standards are non existent it seems.

He was loyal and a good player but that's about it. Nowhere near legend status despite the FA cup goals and purple patch he had.

Manberg

Predator
Think that Ramsey's quality wasn't on same level like some other players who has legendary status.But he's probably the most close to become legend since Emirates Era.

And really there was no big clubs who knocked on the doors every season and Ramsey rejected them and wanted to stay at Arsenal.He could only settled for worse,but Wenger trusted him and gave him chance after some bad seasons.Arsenal was best that he could get in one point,so why he would change that ?

He rejected a successful Man Utd to join Arsenal. On the point of quality I'd have to disagree. He had/has a lot more quality than many Arsenal players of the past who're widely considered legends, although one has to bare in mind that the level or quality of football as a sport has improved over time. Ramsey's numbers were certainly elite for a player of his position.

Manberg

Predator
If you could nominate just one player, who hasn't won a league here, to be an Arsenal club legend...who would you pick and why?
(10 marks)​

Has to be Ramsey. But I nominate Cazorla, Arteta and Rosicky to be legends too.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
He rejected a successful Man Utd to join Arsenal. On the point of quality I'd have to disagree. He had/has a lot more quality than many Arsenal players of the past who're widely considered legends, although one has to bare in mind that the level or quality of football as a sport has improved over time. Ramsey's numbers were certainly elite for a player of his position.

But he rejected them before he came to Arsenal.I was thinking about time when he was at Arsenal and some offers from big clubs.Similar situation to Cesc,RVP and others.

Don't know,think that some elements still missing to become real legend.

Manberg

Predator
But he rejected them before he came to Arsenal.I was thinking about time when he was at Arsenal and some offers from big clubs.Similar situation to Cesc,RVP and others.

Don't know,think that some elements still missing to become real legend.

How is that justification to be a legend. Like I said, Henry and Vieira left to join other big clubs after winning things at Arsenal. Ramsey opted to leave on a free and go abroad as a sign of respect. Many legends didn't have offers come in for them either. For various reasons.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom