• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He was alright, fairly solid but unspectacular.

Koscielny was our starting CB for 9 years and helped us to a European final and scored a crucial goal in an FA cup final. Doesn’t make him a club legend neither.

Yeah those things aren’t the same are they?

Koscielny made a Europa League final and got sonned by old man Giroud.

Kolo had R9, Raul, Ibrahimovic and Trezeguet in his pocket on the way to the CL final.

He’s a key part of Arsenal’s greatest ever team and unlike Koscielny was usually a big game player.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Kolo was good. Always felt he was the weaker one in the partnership with Sol though.

If Sol doesn't go in I don't think you can put Kolo in.

So I thought about that and there’s three things in Kolo’s favour…

1) Sol only had three good seasons here. Injuries and other issues nosedived his career with us post 2003/04.

2) The 2006 CL run. Yes Sol scored in the final however he barely played in the tournament that year. Who was the ever present when we kept six clean sheets against Real, Juve then Villarreal? Kolo!

3) Post Sol Arsenal. Two years after Sol left our goals conceded was 31 which is an absolutely miserly number. When Kolo was a starter for us we conceded under a goal a game the entire 7 seasons. When he left it ballooned to 41 goals and up and up.

Sol has the more famous story, ditching Sp**s and an English superstar etc but Kolo to me was an absolute rock.

Scary to me how he’s actually under appreciated now in hindsight.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Interesting to think of rival clubs who have legends in the last decade:

Man Utd: De Gea

Tottenham: Kane and Son (maybe guys like Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen but the trophies aren’t there imo)

Chelsea: Hazard, Azpilicueta, Kante

Liverpool: Salah, Alisson, Mane, VVD, Firmino (they’d say Hendo but not on footballing ability imo)

Man City: KDB, Fernandinho, Sterling

Absolutely mental we’ve not a legend who’s joined the club since 2002 ffs.

Aguero should be there, honestly. Kompany as well.

Has it been a decade since Droga? ...feeling kinda old right now.

El Duderino

Yeah obvs Aguero, Kompany and Yaya but they all signed before the last decade

Thought I’d make you all feel old as f*ck :lol:

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
So I thought about that and there’s three things in Kolo’s favour…

1) Sol only had three good seasons here. Injuries and other issues nosedived his career with us post 2003/04.

2) The 2006 CL run. Yes Sol scored in the final however he barely played in the tournament that year. Who was the ever present when we kept six clean sheets against Real, Juve then Villarreal? Kolo!

3) Post Sol Arsenal. Two years after Sol left our goals conceded was 31 which is an absolutely miserly number. When Kolo was a starter for us we conceded under a goal a game the entire 7 seasons. When he left it ballooned to 41 goals and up and up.

Sol has the more famous story, ditching Sp**s and an English superstar etc but Kolo to me was an absolute rock.

Scary to me how he’s actually under appreciated now in hindsight.

Fair enough, you make a strong case for Kolo outside of being an Invincible.

To me the likes of Freddie, Kolo, Sol, Lauren, Jens don't go in as individual legends but I do put the Invincibles side in as a whole side ( obviously), so they're kind of half in for me.

Realistically I couldn't argue if someone put any of the Invincibles in individually. You could make a strong case that going the season unbeaten should automatically qualify them as legends irrespective of any other accomplishments.

El Duderino

To me the likes of Freddie, Kolo, Sol, Lauren, Jens don't go in as individual legends but I do put the Invincibles side in as a whole side ( obviously), so they're kind of half in for me.

Realistically I couldn't argue if someone put any of the Invincibles in individually. You could make a strong case that going the season unbeaten should automatically qualify them as legends irrespective of any other accomplishments.

oooh, don't know about Sol. Think he stands on his own.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Speaking about some of these under-appreciated guys interested to see what people think on Sagna.

Here for 7 years iirc and was incredibly consistent for that time. What counts against him is how little we won with him.

Just the one FA Cup.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Speaking about some of these under-appreciated guys interested to see what people think on Sagna.

Here for 7 years iirc and was incredibly consistent for that time. What counts against him is how little we won with him.

Just the one FA Cup.

Best defensive RB in the PL for most of his time here.

I'd put him in the same bracket as Lauren, two really underrated players.

El Duderino

Just the one FA Cup.

Think he left with his head held up, tbh. That classic Arsène picture with him says it all.

Got his last pay day and didn't kick too much of a fuss about it. Think if he had gotten a testemonial, he'd be within a shout.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Think he left with his head held up, tbh. That classic Arsène picture with him says it all.

Got his last pay day and didn't kick too much of a fuss about it. Think if he had gotten a testemonial, he'd be withing a shout.

Love that picture of them both. Such a great memory.

Had an unlucky time of it trophy wise. Left us for City when they were pretty average then got binned by Pep.

Pretty dire French sides under Domenech at NT level during his prime as well.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

One of those guys who would’ve fit on any title winning team.

Problem is we had some utter dross playing in the back line and in goal in those days apart from him.

I think also that you're generally at a bit of a disadvantage in these types of conversations if you're a FB.

It's kind of a 'boring' position that doesn't give you too many personal highlights or get focused on too much in conversations.

I think you've got to be great and also be fortunate enough to be in a top, top side too to stand a chance of getting in at FB.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think also that you're generally at a bit of a disadvantage in these types of conversations if you're a FB.

It's kind of a 'boring' position that doesn't give you too many personal highlights or get focused on too much in conversations.

I think you've got to be great and also be fortunate enough to be in a top, top side too to stand a chance of getting in at FB.

Yeah fully agree.

It’s such an “unimportant” position compared to say striker or midfielder that it goes under the radar.

The fact that he was a defensive rock rather than a Trent type also meant he was always slept on :lol:

If I put Kolo in on sustained good performances and someone who respected the club I guess the criteria fits for Bac 🤷‍♂️

More love for full backs and unflashy defenders needed imo.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Yeah those things aren’t the same are they?

Koscielny made a Europa League final and got sonned by old man Giroud.

Kolo had R9, Raul, Ibrahimovic and Trezeguet in his pocket on the way to the CL final.

He’s a key part of Arsenal’s greatest ever team and unlike Koscielny was usually a big game player.

You mean that CL defense that featured Senderos and Flamini at LB, who performed equally as good?

That 04 team would have gone unbeaten with any half decent CB in Kolo’s place. Fact is had he come along a year after that invincibles season, he wouldn’t be anywhere near the conversation.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You mean that CL defense that featured Senderos and Flamini at LB, who performed equally as good?

That 04 team would have gone unbeaten with any half decent CB in Kolo’s place. Fact is had he come along a year after that invincibles season, he wouldn’t be anywhere near the conversation.

I think the fact he was playing with Senderos and Flamini in that back line but kept six consecutive clean sheets is an argument in his favour :lol:

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
I think the fact he was playing with Senderos and Flamini in that back line but kept six consecutive clean sheets is an argument in his favour :lol:

Yeah let’s give Kolo all the credit. He was doing the work of two men in the central defense and also covering the fullback positions and babysitting Eboue and Flamini. Don’t be silly. The key to that defensive success was the system and Martin Keown’s coaching influence on the training ground.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom