• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wigan vs Arsenal Match Ratings

nazo

Established Member
Fabianski 5
Sagna 6
Touré 6
Djourou 6
Gibbs 5
Walcott 5
Denilson 5
Song 8
Cesc 6
Arshavin 8
Bendtner 5

Silvestre 5
Ade 7
RVP 6

Unforgiven

Established Member
Fabianski 6
Sagna 6
Touré 6
Djourou 5
Gibbs 5.5
Walcott 6
Denilson 3
Song 7.5
Cesc 7.5
Arshavin 7.5
Bendtner 5

Silvestre 6
Ade 7.5
RVP 6.5

True Gooner

Established Member
Fabianski 5

Sagna 7
Touré 7
Djourou 5
Gibbs 5.5

Walcott 6
Denilson 4
Song 7.5
Cesc 7.5
Arshavin 7.5
Bendtner 5

Silvestre 6
Ade 7
RVP 6

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I've seen the match 'properly' now:

Fabianksi: 5 - should have saved the goal and he knew it; he and the defence were shocking on that bouncing ball; oh, and I’ll never understand the Fabianski ‘good distribution' and Almunia 'bad distribution' arguments - pretty much the same. Hopefully it was a case of nerves that will disappear in the upcoming fixtures.

Sagna: 6 very poor header before the goal; very good header in the second.
Toure: 6 - I’d like to see him play it a touch safer going up the field and when passing from the back.
Djourou: 6 - looked OK.
Gibbs: 6 - got turned out a bit, Valencia is no mug though; a bit lucky to stay on, but Fabianski put just enough doubt in Wiley’s mind, and made maybe a very good call, but still lucky; crucially prevented a goal. Always keeps his chin up.

Walcott: 6 - heavy touches; very well taken goal.
Denilson: 6 - worked pretty hard and well; the criticism of him pre-, during-, and post-match was very harsh. Quite frankly it was a joke. How or why he was singled out on this performance is beyond me.
Song: 7 - industrious enough (always seems to get better as a game goes on); heading in our box is a worry, but a plus in theirs (a bit like Gallas); still unnecessarily clumsy in defence at times; great goal out of nowhere – tired, booked, and crap defence notwithstanding
Fabregas: 7.5 – quiet first half ; great positioning and pass to Silvestre; harried well on Arshavin’s goal

Arshavin: 7.5 - extremely quiet first half, with little ball; very nice toe poke to Walcott; nice ball to Cesc; nice shot off the post; good goal.
Bendtner: 6 - up and down game, but generally held his position well; kept plugging away until the end, dropped back to help out late.

Silvestre: 5 - fluffed a chance, put away a gift; silly bowling green passes; far from convincing in defence.
RvP: 6 - linked up well, not a lot came his way; sprang Ade on Arshavin’s goal.
Ade: 6.5 - nice cameo; very nice touches to RvP and Song.

Mido: what a git; in fact the whole Wigan team made a mockery of their supposed hard men reputation. There was more fish-flopping than a league game.

*I thought Wigan played well in the first half actually, kept things nice and simple, kept it tight and stuck to their game plan; it was very disjointed first half due to the many fouls that Wiley blew for. They turned into cynical barbarians in the second.

progman07

Established Member
AnthonyG: what do you mean by Denilson's hard work? Where did it exactly show? You blame Sagna and Fabianski for the goal, but forgot to mention Denilson got poorly beaten at the corner. You tell Cesc and Arshavin didn't have enough of the ball, but do you realize Denilson's role was to distribute? Song did all the defensive work, Denilson had only a very simple task, to show up for the ball and pass it to our most dangerous players. He failed to show up.
Song did the hard work, not Denilson. Song won a lot of tackles, ran around, collected the ball, not Denilson.

Even Wenger, who is his biggest fan, took him off so he couldn't have been having such a good game.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I kind of been through all this and will be happy to do so again, but for now, given it's ratings thread, I noticed above you took some ratings which gave Denilson a 6 but said that it was very generous. What would you give him then?

Kain

Established Member
Denilson should never of been asked or made to mark a centre back like Boyce for a corner in the first place, it was not all down to him it was bad marking from an Arsenal perspective in general.

progman07

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
I kind of been through all this and will be happy to do so again, but for now, given it's ratings thread, I noticed above you took some ratings which gave Denilson a 6 but said that it was very generous. What would you give him then?
4 or 5, given that perhaps you gave Theo a 6, who got us a vital equalizer.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
OK, well relatively that's not completely awful Progman; higher than what you rated Bendtner. As for Denilson in this game, he simply wasn't any worse than anyone else in the first half. He gave some balls away, but so did everyone.

You say he got beaten on the goal, yeah he had a man climb on his back and he got beaten, but then the ball went to Sagna, then to Fabianski, if you want quantification of blame I'll give this for the sake of illustration: Denilson 20%, Sagna 35%, Fabianksi 45%.

I saw Denilson break up plays and make tackles. Heaps? No, but enough to be useful in that department. Song did his share too.

I said Arshavin didn't see a lot of ball, not Cesc. Cesc had a reasonable amount of ball in the first, some from Denilson. Cesc just didn't do much with it. Denilson's distribution was fine or average, or whatever.

As for Wenger taking Denilson off, I don't see that as necessarily a reflection on Denilson's showing. First, he's played a lot this season. Second, he's played a much worse game this season than this one and been persevered with for the full 90.

Denilson wasn't great, but he did show-up, and he was in no way the awful train-wreck that many are making him out to be.

General

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Mido: what a git; in fact the whole Wigan team made a mockery of their supposed hard men reputation. There was more fish-flopping than a league game.

Mido is an idiot. I personally didn't feel any sympathy when Fabianski knocked him out and subsequently forced him off. Apparently he lost a tooth. He can take that as retribution for cutting Clichy's head with that ridiculous high boot last season.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom