• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wiltord as good as Defoe

Alexone234

I think Wiltord is every bit as good as Defoe and should be our first priority in re-signing him.

I saw the AFC v Hammers last time they came. The only time Defoe was getting anywhere near the ball was when Big Sol was allowing their long ball to bounce.

He does have talent, but not equivalent to the sort of money West Ham want though.

Wiltord is a good as Defoe (and I'm not Wiltords biggest fan). Sylvian is good in our early build up play, he just lacks a bit of pace. He can hold the ball up though, and is useful when he fills in for Fred on the right.

If Wiltord goes at the end of the season, we need to find two strikers. Based on the fact that we are skint, I can't see us getting two. This means that Bently may have to come into the side before time. I don't want to see that happen. If Wiltord stays, he can fill in the gap between a new striker settling in and our young guns maturing enough to offer support.

Andrew

Wiltord is no doubt as good as Defoe... but how committed in Wiltord to our cause? If Wiltord signed a new contract or at least showed intentions of it then we don't really have to sign anyone urgently. But I just tend to think that Wiltord's performances this season have been below par because he doesn't care for the club anymore. A consistent and commited Wiltord at his best (ie. boro away this season) would be perfect for us. Unfortunately that is not the case.

A

Anonymous

sorry.don't agree on Wiltord being as good as Defoe
not as much as pace.
not as young ofcourse.
Defoe is a much better finisher then Wiltord
Defoe's long range efforts are way way way better then Wiltrod
Defoe has a lot of flair(surely Wiltord may have some but NOT as much)
Defoe is much much much more of a hard worker then Wiltord

maybe the only area where Wiltord has an advantage is controlling of temper and attitude and keeping calm.

arsenal4life

ruud said:
not as much as pace.
not as young ofcourse.

maybe the only area where Wiltord has an advantage is controlling of temper and attitude and keeping calm.

moreover that

1) Defoe is English
and we need English Blood to Motivate the team
not the French ones

2) Defoe is 22 and Wiltored is 29

3) Defoe is the New Ian Wright

Andrew

ruud said:

Defoe's finishing at least in the Premier League was no better than ordinary. And Wiltord's finishing when he wants can be really good... So I don't agree with you there. Defoe really isn't all that and if we did sign him (which we won't) I won't get too excited about it.

Defoe is not the new Ian Wright, no way.

Adam

Established Member
Alex - spot on mate.

Wiltord has been ruled out and underrated because of this contract saga. Very unfairly.

lewdikris

Established Member
There's little question about Wiltord's ability - only his desire, which, like Kanu up until recently, has been questionable for long periods.

He wouldn't have got 50 caps for France in this period without a high degree of talent - but his continued failures to come up with the goods consistently suggests his time with us may be over.

That's not a judgement on him - it happens to footballers.

I don't expect him to be here next year - but you never know.

O, and is he better than Defoe? About the same level of ability - very good but not absolutely great. But Defoe has youth on his side, which is always a plus.

pamilih

Talentwise Wiltord i superior to Defoe. Proven. World Cup and European winner. Defoe is not even in the national team of England.

Yes he's younger but talentwise he's average. Otherwise West Ham will not be relegated.

A.Hussain

arsenal4life said:
ruud said:
not as much as pace.
not as young ofcourse.

moreover that

1) Defoe is English
and we need English Blood to Motivate the team
not the French ones

2) Defoe is 22 and Wiltored is 29

3) Defoe is the New Ian Wright

u know ur crap about english blood is beginning to boil my blood. football has nothing to do with race or regionalism,( with the exception of the mighty brazillians). if uve got talent, arsenal is the place to be.

please do not play the english blood card, cuz is lame, * and a manc theory...

A

Anonymous

Wiltord cannot shoot for his life!apologise for being so blunt but fraid that is the truth.

He was good enough against PLC. :lol:
You can't compare a proven international with a talented kid.
If Defoe is so good,why is West ham relegated?

Mark

Established Member
difficult to compare wiltord and defoe. defoe would probably be better as our poacher unlike wiltord who can't stop being offside, but wiltord is a proven international with lots of trophies while the best of defoe is yet to come, or so most people think.

jc8gooner

Wiltord cannot shoot for his life!
When on form, Wiltord is an excellent player. He has scored almost 50 goals for Arsenal, which isn't too bad for someone who can't shoot for his life. He has done plenty of damage at Old Trafford in recent years too. He has also scored over 20 goals for France I think. Once again not bad.

This coming from a fan whose club have Forlan as back-up! Hahaahahahaha.....

jc8gooner

what does Forlan have to do with the topic anyway?!

Well, we seem to be comparing strikers, in this case Defoe and Wiltord. I decided that if a Man chester Unuted fan is going to unfairly insult Wiltord, I have every right to insult Forlan.

reggiepaul

Apart from Sally Gunnels controversial yet brilliance likeness to Diego Forlan. Convenient how she left professional athletics and Diego Forlan arrived on the scene as some "amazing" footballer....

Convenient indeed

I'll get my pipe

A

Anonymous

jc8gooner said:
what does Forlan have to do with the topic anyway?!

Well, we seem to be comparing strikers, in this case Defoe and Wiltord. I decided that if a Man chester Unuted fan is going to unfairly insult Wiltord, I have every right to insult Forlan.

not really insulting Wiltord.just giving my opinion..and we were not comparing strikers really.we were comparing Defoe and Wiltord..not all strikers.and to be honest.Diego this season has been getting goals.

jc8gooner

Wiltord ahs got goals too this season when he has been fit.
we were not comparing strikers really.we were comparing Defoe and Wiltord..not all strikers.
I know, it was just a cheap shot at Forlan. Do you really think that Wiltord is that awful though?

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom