• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wiltord resigned to exit

Gunner4life09

Wiltord was fantastic, the way he linked up with henry on several ocassions was like if they were like telepathicly joined or something and even scored a few crunch goals for us but other than that he was consistance enough, wasn't wort 13million.

Best wishes to him.

n_henry

I've always like Wiltord, and it's a shame he couldn't be good enough to get a regular starting spot with us..

Well, good luck to him. :D

Gooner83

If he was crap he wouldn't have got so many caps, i agree it must be the english game.

marhes26

He did score some vital goals for us but overall he never really justified the 13 million price tag.why did'nt he just accept the 2 year deal? it's only a year less then what he wanted.

lewdikris

Established Member
Er, as far as I remember Wiltord didn't play in France 98. Could be wrong, but certainly not in any of the important matches.

This has been on the cards since last June. He just can't find the consistency. And when he's bad, he's rancid.

Au revoir M. Le Tongue.

va_va_voom

Well reports are Man City have bid £1.8m, I'd take that now over losing him on a free in the summer.

No great loss, goodbye rather than au revoir.

neebz

Why did we sign him in the first place ?

What qualities did Wenger attribute him to ?

nEEbz

reggiepaul

Anyone who can't grasp the importance of one of our regular players and so, his consistency probably relies upon sky sports and their mediocre coverage of football to make their assessment.

Wiltords consistency is directly related to him being our most regular, consistent and having played in more games than anyone else - fully awarding one of the most impressive players we have at the club. I can't do much for people who only have sky sports to go by. I can't do much for people who go to games seeing us win (we can agree, we win most games) and then still saying Wiltord is crap. I think you need to go to specsavers or at least have a lobotomy or brain transplant.

Sky Sports is the worst coverage the world has for football. If I had a tenner for the amount of times I have been pissed at what they choose to concentrate on and the impossibility of seeing crucial areas of the pitch I'd be able to buy a corner of Ashburton Grove.

How anyone can argue that Wiltord is inconsistent (especially since the likes of Dixon, Adams and Wright etc have commended him so highly) is grossly stupid and idiotic compared with the absolute fact he has played the most games in the last three years for one of the greatest clubs in the world. To call it glossing over is further denial and arrogance of ones own position.

It's not a shame he has to leave. He is getting on in years and won't be able to play a crucial role for us. What is a shame is the glory hunting attitude of some fans who prefer to appreciate the players in the limelight more so than those who only focus on football and nothing else as much.

Yes. Glory Hunting, that's what it is and will always remain. He is commendable, he is consistent and if you can't see that - you haven't watched enough football.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
ElTel14 said:
Wiltords consistency is directly related to him being our most regular, consistent and having played in more games than anyone else - fully awarding one of the most impressive players we have at the club

Reggie Paul, surely Wiltord's consistency was indeed his inconsistency, or that he was consistently below the standards expected of a 13m French International!

Its a bit rich to claim that those who think Wiltord was not half the player he was cracked up to be are affected by the broadcasting of Sky Sports! While Wiltord has had some very good moments for Arsenal (the majority of them in his lesser favoured position of the right wing) it cannot be denied that for £13m Wiltord overall just didn't deliver.

Only three goals in the Champions League, and for a player of such high regard his scoring record and more importantly his performances in many big games (and against lesser clubs) leaves a lot to be desired. For me, we only saw quality from Wiltord over about a quarter of the length of his contract (mainly in 01/02).

While I'll remember his goal at Old Trafford fondly, I'm afraid I'm quite content to see him leave in the sumer.

Beautifully put. How anyone can defend a CL strike rate like that is beyond me- and Reggiepaul don't say it's due to him being played wide cos I'm fairly sure Mr Ljungberg has scored a whole host of goals in Europe from a wide right position. Don't you think if Arsène really wante to keep him, he'd offer SW what he wanted?
The truth is Wiltord has never scored goals consistently nor has he impressed.

reggiepaul

That's not the truth. The truth is he has performed well and consistently and that's why he has been such a regular player. That's why he has played in more games than anyone else at the club as well.

The fact Arsène played him highlights that. I think it's blatantly stupid to think otherwise. How you can grant a regular and more consistent player like Wiltord (consistent yes because he has played so many games) as a bad player is beyond me.

As for Wiltords champions league record, yes he does play wide mostly and has scored just as many goals as Bergkamp who plays up front. Yes, Freddie always scores more but have you noticed that is down to Freddie always playing a more forward role in Europe and not because he is dominantly wide. Wiltord wide role is majorly wide while Freddie plays further up field.

He has impressed me, impressed Wenger and our record proves, he's blatantly been far more significant than anyone could imagine. Not my fault some people can't see that - I haven't got a right over people's appreciation and I don't buy glossy magazines or watch sky sports.

I think what I just wrote is also beautifully put. I don't watch sky sports. I have a brain. :D

A

Anonymous

I agree with reg. Wiltord has always played his best for the arsenal and Wenger chose him. What a star. Shame he has to go!

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
ElTel14 said:
Last season, over 5 months without a Premiership goal, and as I said earlier, only 3 goals in Europe where his passing and general game is often shown to be substandard.

All I can say is that for £13m you are easily pleased :shock:

Exactly.
Has he scored as many goals for Arsenal as Bergkamp in the CL? I'd like some stats to that effect please reggiepaul. Also, how many assists does he have in Europe? I bet Dennis has got quite a few more then Sylvain.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom