• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your View Of Liverpool...

stevieboy2k

As a Liverpool fan im looking forward to the new season with alot of optimism and excitement and cant wait to see what Rafa Benitez can do with our squad, and who will come in and who will go.

I was just wondering what you lot view our chances as and what you make of Benitez.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Good coach, I think, but he won't turn you into a free scoring attacking team if his Valencia side are anything to go by.

Maybe you can edge into the top three, but wouldn't count on it.

Mark

Established Member
I'm sure you will be stronger challengers than last season, but I still don't know really. You could potentially do better than the Mancs or Chelski, but you could also end up like you did last season. It depends on what players he brings in etc.

shaz

still think the puds need a few more signing to be complete... they seem ok at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Just look forward to another average season of battling newcastle for the 4th spot. Let the big 3 worry about winning the league.

jeromelee

Well, if Cisse, Gerrard, Baros and Owen can combine I think Lilipool can produce some results. But Kewell needs to be replaced as well as to bring in another winger. As for defence, I think you know you need some replacements. Benitez's good, but I don't think lilipool will be contending for much this season yet. Still in rebuilding stage. Maybe to fight for the fourth champ's league spot again?

Not yet my friend. Not yet a contender..........

lewdikris

Established Member
Benitez's appointment is a bigger risk than people think.

He's going to play exactly the same defensively minded 4-4-2 system that Houllier did, with virtually the same mix of players: Kewell for Vicente, Gerrard for Baraja. Except he's now going to have to play 2 up front (Owen, Cisse or Baros)- rather than the 1 striker plus playmaker (Aimar) that gave Valencia their vibrancy.

So the question remains: who'll provide the link between midfield and attack? Buy the player who can do that, and you'll be contenders, don't, and you're in the same **** as before, and will be forced into the long ball. Again.

beanz

It'll be interesting to see just how differently (if at all) Liverpool are playing after say 6 months with Benitez in charge, it'll be a good pointer for the rest of the season, but if I were a 'pool fan, I would'nt be getting too excited just yet :mrgreen:

patrick42uk

Established Member
its hard to tell how liverpool will do, because there is the need to determine just how bad gerrard houllier was. forget tactics for a moment, getting the best out of individuals is part of management. i dont think houllier did that very well. imagine if kewell played to his potential and scored 15 goals for instance. that will be the key, the degree to which benitez can get the best out of the undoubted talented individuals he has in his squad.

voomboom

IMO liverpool will do better than last season, but they need to make loads of player changes before they become a major threat again. Houlier wasted a lot of cash on players who just weren't good enough, so at the moment the liverpool squad is too weak.

KingReyes

Established Member
Liverpool still need further strengthening if they intend to challenge for the title. I feel there defense still needs to be strengthened, there fullbacks are not that effective going forward and they also lack a bit of creativity in the midfield. Hamman has lost his abilty to create something leaving only Gerrard and the inconsistent Kewell to provide something for the forwards. Regardless if they have top strikers they still need a good midfield to provide them with chances. Therefore if they remain with the same squad I can see Livepool challenging for 3rd or 4th but they definately won't finish 30 points behind the 1st place team.

stevieboy2k

To be honest fellas in quietly optimistic. One of our major problems over the past 2 seasons has been Houllier getting the best out of the players,i think in that respect we got stuck in a rut. I think a good season for us would be champions league football again,decent cup run and challenging for the title towards the latter months of the campaign, we cant realistically expect to win the title so soon. We've undoubtedly got the basis of a decent side and with 2 or 3 additions we can close that massive points gap. The general conscensus amongst Liverpool fans is that we need a new pacey centre back to play alongside Hyypia,a central midfielder alongside Gerrard and maybe a right midfielder unless Rafa can get the best out of Diouffy.

As for our style of play im unsure how we'll play. I think for people to suggest we'll play long ball is off the mark, because we've never really played long ball football, but at times it has been unimaginative and lacklustre.

Its just a case of waiting and seeing but i dont think we'll finish 30points behind the champions this year because i doubt Arsenal or anyone else will have a season to match yours last year.

Sammer

Established Member
Liverpool will - no doubt about that - improve. But it won´t be good enough to challenge the top 3 EPL clubs.

what´s the matter with Hamann anyway, doesn´t his contract expire this year? In any case, Hamann is good at destroying attacks from opposite teams, but he lacks attacking qualities (besides that he has a pretty good right foot).

If Liverpool has the money, they should go for Ballack - he´d be perfect alongside Gerrard :D

Andrew

I think Liverpool will only improve. I'm not marking them down as rivals for the title just yet but it was about time they changed managers.

Gunner4life09

i think their targets would be Champions league football, maybe challenge for 3rd spot if one of the big clubs scure up win the League cup or F.A cup. i think thats about it.

The Mini

If they make a better start, I would mark them as outsiders for the League, as in outsiders out of the Arsenal, ManUre, Chelski and possibly Liverpool. They made a bad start last sesaon and that cost them.

SuperBob

They definately need a new pacey central defender .. Bousmong I think the guy that went to Rangers would have been great for them.. If Kirkland can stay injury free that's a bonus is Diouf really a midfielder? for the Premiership? I would have Murphy playing on the right and having a midfielder who can partner Gerrard.. forwards are awesome.

Arnie

with houllier gone the only way is up for you guys. It will save the threat of a heart-attack in my house because my dad is a liverpool fan.

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom