• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to let Wenger take the Director of Football roll and allow someone else take care of the match day preparations.

1. People probably still agree that having Wenger is still a pulling point for players
2. He studies the game constantly
3. He has contacts all over the world
4. He has a degree in economics
5. Certainly has the best interests of Arsenal at heart
6. Would be a good football man to put on the board.

That is literally everything you would want from a good director of football and it allows someone else who is more likely to keep the players on their toes and change up team tactics mid game to sit in the dug out.

Resounding no on my part.

I keep repeating myself but one of Arsène's biggest weaknesses is his faith in substandard/mediocre players who continue to let him down season after season. Yet despite moving these players on, he rewards them with fat contracts, on salaries far beyond the utility they provide on the pitch.

The current wage structure we have at the club is one of the biggest reasons we aren't competitive. We have the money, we use it appallingly.

Arsène as a DoF/Sporting director would see no change to the status quo in this regard.

WhatAFC

Resounding no on my part.

I keep repeating myself but one of Arsène's biggest weaknesses is his faith in substandard/mediocre players who continue to let him down season after season. Yet despite moving these players on, he rewards them with fat contracts, on salaries far beyond the utility they provide on the pitch.

The current wage structure we have at the club is one of the biggest reasons we aren't competitive. We have the money, we use it appallingly.

Arsène as a DoF/Sporting director would see no change to the status quo in this regard.
He has a degree in economics, but created the worst pay structure in world football. Not only that, he continues to pursue this structure even though we are unable to sell anyone who isn't boarderline WC.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

He has a degree in economics, but created the worst pay structure in world football. Not only that, he continues to pursue this structure even though we are unable to sell anyone who isn't boarderline WC.

He must have got his economics degree is Russia.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Can we add in Emery, Potchettino and Favre as well?

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Can we make a poll on here of like the top 10 most connected managers with the arsenal job and see what the general opinion is on here?

flabergasted that Allegri is leading
Hmmm...no football without the support of the fans.

Debatable point I think.

He said the same thing on that arsenal-fan-tv thing with Neville

but with the added zinger

"Debauchy makes that in a week" (:)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When we look at Wenger through our current perspective, he looks like a spectacular failure to many. Opposition fans cheer at the sound of him staying at Arsenal. Arsenal fans feel embarrassed and pessimistic about the future.

That's at most, a perspective of five years or so.

Looking further and we start to see the truth. We are an actual giant of the game now, regularly appearing in the top 10 football club lists as far as financial size is concerned. Boasting one of the world's finest facilities, and in an amazing financial position, which is not dependent on our ownership.

With due respect to Arsène, I would describe our situation as a young kid taking his drivers test with a Lamborghini Diablo.
Wenger's never looked or quacked like a spectacular failure by any sane measure of standards :lol: it's all been internet hype.

Opposition fans ribbing us about wanting him to stay makes me laugh as well. Because if they really wanted him to stay they'd keep quiet. They know by winding up our more gullible fans they're promoting a campaign to evict him. :lol:

Good post mate. The new guy has some shoes to fill, not just finishing so high every year, I'm talking about the man himself . . dignity, intelligence and loyalty.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to let Wenger take the Director of Football roll and allow someone else take care of the match day preparations.

1. People probably still agree that having Wenger is still a pulling point for players
2. He studies the game constantly
3. He has contacts all over the world
4. He has a degree in economics
5. Certainly has the best interests of Arsenal at heart
6. Would be a good football man to put on the board.

That is literally everything you would want from a good director of football and it allows someone else who is more likely to keep the players on their toes and change up team tactics mid game to sit in the dug out.

As I said before
only Henry could stand up to him in a working way

a big name manager with trophies under his belt and a good reputation it would not be possible, no one like that would accept such an arrangment

and if it is some halfknown up and coming coach that would not work either because Wenger would overshadow him too much

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I found an interesting excerpt from the 15/16 Annual FS RE: Wages and wages as a % of revenues.

...We disclose this ratio as a benchmark which is widely used in the analysis of football finance although our own monitoring in this area is based on total player spend, a combination of wages plus transfer expenditure and related costs, on a rolling three year basis against projections for the available funds generated over that period by the Group’s business activities.

I wonder how common TPS is used in the football community rather than just wages. I'm assuming it's widely used.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I'll throw another name in the hat

Spalleti
we got somewhat of a working relationship with Roma
Roma are kinda the arsenal of Italy, both in playing style and flair of the club

Spalleti has a working relationship with Chez and Verms is there to

Roma plays pretty similar to us

and hey if he wants to bring
either of
Salah,
Florenzi
Emerson
Radja
I'd be happy

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I'll throw another name in the hat

Spalleti
we got somewhat of a working relationship with Roma
Roma are kinda the arsenal of Italy, both in playing style and flair of the club

Spalleti has a working relationship with Chez and Verms is there to

Roma plays pretty similar to us

and hey if he wants to bring
either of
Salah,
Florenzi
Emerson
Radja
I'd be happy

I'd take Manolas in a heartbeat.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yeah...but no.

Management comes down to winning. Wenger has done well in niche areas, arguably doing a job that no other manager could do but at the end of the day the guy who wins the races gets the plaudits not the guy who didn't win but admirably came second despite having one leg.

Not necessarily fair but it be's that way sometimes.

I agree, there's no doubt Ferguson was the most successful manager in the modern PL. As I said, taking everything into account though, Wenger is right up there, even if he hasn't won the PL for 12 years. What with the Invincibles and CL every season, they are huge to have on your CV.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I found an interesting excerpt from the 15/16 Annual FS RE: Wages and wages as a % of revenues.

I wonder how common TPS is used in the football community rather than just wages. I'm assuming it's widely used.

Well yeah the way it's accounted is amortisation. So in the accounts the way a player yearly cost is accounted is (annual salary + transfer fee)/length of contract. So the yearly cost of all those values for all the players versus how much we have the spend on those things makes more sense than just using wages. It's ok not part of he equation in accounting terms.
Overall we have a pot for transfers and wages each year.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Well yeah the way it's accounted is amortisation. So in the accounts the way a player yearly cost is accounted is (annual salary + transfer fee)/length of contract. So the yearly cost of all those values for all the players versus how much we have the spend on those things makes more sense than just using wages. It's ok not part of he equation in accounting terms.
Overall we have a pot for transfers and wages each year.

I understand all that - was musing at whether other clubs use TPS, I'd imagine they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom