• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

Always Crying
Arsenal fan Tim Stillman aka Stillberto said it best:
Life as an Arsenal supporter is not that bad and most of us recognise that. We follow a talented team and there are many worse things than finishing in third or fourth place every year. But we want something different, even if that means failing in a different way.

Yes, it may be difficult replacing Wenger, and by doing so we may experience something similar to what Manchester United fans experienced when Sir Alex Ferguson retired, but we need to take that on at some point so why not as soon as possible. Better that than being in a permanent state of stasis.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arsenal fan Tim Stillman aka Stillberto said it best:
Life as an Arsenal supporter is not that bad and most of us recognise that. We follow a talented team and there are many worse things than finishing in third or fourth place every year. But we want something different, even if that means failing in a different way.

Yes, it may be difficult replacing Wenger, and by doing so we may experience something similar to what Manchester United fans experienced when Sir Alex Ferguson retired, but we need to take that on at some point so why not as soon as possible. Better that than being in a permanent state of stasis.
What a great post. This is the intelligent response to the problem.

Just about sick of angry people pissing on Wenger and distorting facts.

But it is time for him to step aside in a dignified way, so we remember how good he was and not try to sh*t on his legacy and undoubted ability because of frustration.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Great analogy tbf.

And as others have pointed out, he does have an outstanding record at a club that is a good model for Arsenal - with bigger spending rivals to compete with.

He's rightly a very popular choice, whether or not he's everyone's cup of tea.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He could always just not spend his money on Arsenal if he doesn't feel he's getting value for money...

There are plenty who spend similar money and yet back Wenger...

Bit suspicious this , straight after another twitter account posted their expediture over the same period , DT then posts his ,except 10000 more .

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That'd be quite a site to behold. Imagine if it were one of those african-american churches, the pastor queues the choir to start singing "oh happy day", substituting Jesus' name for Jardin's, after a lengthy sermon on how he'd develop our youth system, whilst upping our recruitment off the pitch and our pressing during games.

People cry hallelujah, somewhere in the hall a strong independent black woman who needs no 4th place tries to cool her excitement with her hand fan, she eventually passes out from imagining tactical pragmatism in big matches.

Can I get and a-men, brothers and sisters?
Late to the party but this is post of the year stuff. :lol::lol::lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

As if a manager currently at a club who does better than us in every comparative competition would come and almost be an understudy to wenger for a season. Ridiculous.
:lol::lol:

I love this thread.

Rocky

Dude, spare us of your moralistic and snotty judgments.
The club in general will need through a transition either Arsène leaves this year or next. He holds control over everything football related at the club and wether you like it or not, his stature at the club is immense and there will be a huge void when he leaves that will be needed to be filled.
One new manager is not going to do so, specially one coming from outside of the club and the league. As I said, I am absolutely fine with him staying with a clear transition plan from the club, starting with hiring a Technical director/director of football.

I'm not so sure. If you're suggesting Wenger stays for a season and a director of football is hired at the beginning of his final season? Surely that director of football effectively has no job while Wenger remains in post? Then when Wenger leaves, that director of football is somewhat compromised by being a Wenger appointed employee?

Maybe it would be better if they literally hired a director of transition? (not actually a realistic proposition I realise).

The fact that one manager is unlikely to turn things around on their own is why I view Rafa Benitez as a very good transition manager. He knows the league and he has the battle scars and trophies across England, Spain and Italy to prove it. He's taken on other managers' squads and won trophies with them.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

What a great post. This is the intelligent response to the problem.

Just about sick of angry people pissing on Wenger and distorting facts.

But it is time for him to step aside in a dignified way, so we remember how good he was and not try to sh*t on his legacy and undoubted ability because of frustration.

This is why it would be great if he announced he was leaving now, the fan base could relax and see him off well. Would be awful if we end in full on disaster and he just goes without a proper farewell after the season is done.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I'm not so sure. If you're suggesting Wenger stays for a season and a director of football is hired at the beginning of his final season? Surely that director of football effectively has no job while Wenger remains in post? Then when Wenger leaves, that director of football is somewhat compromised by being a Wenger appointed employee?

Maybe it would be better if they literally hired a director of transition? (not actually a realistic proposition I realise).

The fact that one manager is unlikely to turn things around on their own is why I view Rafa Benitez as a very good transition manager. He knows the league and he has the battle scars and trophies across England, Spain and Italy to prove it. He's taken on other managers' squads and won trophies with them.

That will depend on the role and responsibility of the DoF as well as the individual's personality. Whoever is hired will be an employee of AFC and an interface between the manager and the rest of the organization. He will not be an AW employee by any means and his mission should be to not only prepare the transition but also bring his vision into modernizing (for lack of a better term) the club.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Our wage structure is the first thing that has to go once Arsène departs. One of the biggest obstacles for us realising our true potential. The next sporting director or DoF has his/her work cut out for them with regards to how we set and pay player wages.

Rocky

That will depend on the role and responsibility of the DoF as well as the individual's personality. Whoever is hired will be an employee of AFC and an interface between the manager and the rest of the organization. He will not be an AW employee by any means and his mission should be to not only prepare the transition but also bring his vision into modernizing (for lack of a better term) the club.

I just don't think anyone could do that job with Wenger in post. They would be totally undermined by the control he has. Admittedly, that would be softened if Wenger had announced his departure date, but we've seen the problems that can cause when Ferguson initially announced his plan to depart then stayed on. Also, anyone who was appointed would be an AFC employee but they would be a de facto Wenger appointment because nobody can be appointed in a football capacity without Wenger's approval at the present time.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Reading through this thread...you've had a mare here mate.

Good luck convincing anyone who isn't an Arsenal fan of this. In fact good luck convincing an Arsenal fan. :lol:

That's not as crazy as it sounds. When you take into account who won what and who spent what, also what Wenger did for the club with the new stadium, and still kept us in CL every season while selling our best players, its actually a fair shout by @SA Gunner Obviously it's impossible to quantify though, each fan will have their own way of looking at it.

goonerwarsh

Established Member

I don't know, at Inter taking over a treble winning team he was an absolute disaster. The team slumped completely, even losing to f**king Sp**s in the Champions League before eventually getting sacked. At Chelsea he was hated too, he got them the UEFA Cup though didn't he? I can't remember. I do remember him not lasting very long though and them being pretty lacklustre.

If we lose Wenger, I think we need someone far more inspiring than Rafa Benitez. All opinions though isn't it.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
That's not as crazy as it sounds. When you take into account who won what and who spent what, also what Wenger did for the club with the new stadium, and still kept us in CL every season while selling our best players, its actually a fair shout by @SA Gunner Obviously it's impossible to quantify though, each fan will have their own way of looking at it.

It would be way more likely to happen if the English Media didn't despise Wenger and Arsenal, tho.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

That's nothing.
It's a 100M more than nothing mate.

200M spent in two windows. There are maybe 6 clubs who spend more but countless others who spend less. 200M and from those two windows we have two certain starters (Mustafi and Sanchez).

Wenger leaving is going to be interesting to say the least. We get to find out how (in)competent are board are, we get to see their ambitions and we get to see where Wenger bolstered/hampered us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom