• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Takehiro Tomiyasu: Takehiro Today, Injured Tomorrow

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Let's hope this 100K make him show up and play. The guy spent half of his career here injured.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I don't understand this at all.

He's injury prone but it's not like he's at an exceptional level when fit that would make it worth the risk giving him a new contract

He's a good utility / rotation player.

At least someone on a similar wage / squad position like Eddie is available when needed.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

When you start extending everyone this is what slows down your flexibility in the market.

I think Liverpool had to tone down their spending once they’d settled on their squad in around 2019.

I wouldn’t be shocked that once we sign a midfielder and maybe a striker then that will be it for first XI signings for a few years.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Had he continued his form pre Asia Cup then I doubt there would have been that much fuss about the new deal but his unreliability is very concerning.

Since we’ve tied him down to a new deal now though then I’d bin Zinchenko next summer as his injury record is appalling too. Only issue is we’d probably need a more reliable, attacking option at fullback to provide a different option.

rotateta

When you start extending everyone this is what slows down your flexibility in the market.

I think Liverpool had to tone down their spending once they’d settled on their squad in around 2019.

I wouldn’t be shocked that once we sign a midfielder and maybe a striker then that will be it for first XI signings for a few years.
Why would we need to go back into the market when we have tied down a player that we would otherwise have to find a replacement for?

If we can get a settled squad then great, a player of tomiyasu's talent who can play all across defence and as a holding midfielder too is priceless. He has proved himself a more than competent option in different positions when fit, he understands our system whereas a new player may struggle to adapt (as per kiwior initially).

The injury issues are a concern, but others here are over reading that. Most of them seem to be where rushed back for major international tournaments, these will desist now for Japan.

Hopefully back before the end of the season, next season I expect him to be less injury affected and well worth the new contract. Another contributor has compared his impact on the team to that of Eddie - poppycock!

When Tomi is fit he either starts or is our first defender to rotate in. When Eddie is fit he warms the bench and stays there all game.

Give the guy a break (not another limb though!).

Pop Tart

Established Member
First season here he was exceptional but he is always injury prone multiple times a season. also i do not think he has been anything special since that first term.

TheEliteMaster100_

Turns up only when we lose
Had he continued his form pre Asia Cup then I doubt there would have been that much fuss about the new deal but his unreliability is very concerning.

Since we’ve tied him down to a new deal now though then I’d bin Zinchenko next summer as his injury record is appalling too. Only issue is we’d probably need a more reliable, attacking option at fullback to provide a different option.

Who will deputise for Saliba? Saliba has so far played every single minute in the premier league (most in our club of any player), more concerning after his back injury last season.

That's why we need a CB who can play RB in one (Simakan for example), that player can deputise for both White and Saliba.

Had Tomiyasu been reliable this season, I would have been more than happy for him to be our 2nd choice RCB to Saliba, 3rd Choice LCB to Gabriel (if Timber is fit to play LB and Kiwior can be 2nd choice LCB), 2nd Choice LB to Kiwior (conservative CB out wide) etc... and 2nd choice RB to White for this season (rotation) then we could have concentrated on simply getting a proper marauding classical right back as inversion doesn't always work in Europe.

But since Tomi is a crock, we shouldn't plan for his availability as planing for Partey's availability this season back in the summer set us back.

This club should focus the summer plans and keep in mind that Jesus, Partey, Tomiyasu, ESR and Zinny are injury prone bums who won't give you 25 prem games a season. So plan around that and make some sells.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Who will deputise for Saliba? Saliba has so far played every single minute in the premier league (most in our club of any player), more concerning after his back injury last season.

That's why we need a CB who can play RB in one (Simakan for example), that player can deputise for both White and Saliba.

Had Tomiyasu been reliable this season, I would have been more than happy for him to be our 2nd choice RCB to Saliba, 3rd Choice LCB to Gabriel (if Timber is fit to play LB and Kiwior can be 2nd choice LCB), 2nd Choice LB to Kiwior (conservative CB out wide) etc... and 2nd choice RB to White for this season (rotation) then we could have concentrated on simply getting a proper marauding classical right back as inversion doesn't always work in Europe.

But since Tomi is a crock, we shouldn't plan for his availability as planing for Partey's availability this season back in the summer set us back.

This club should focus the summer plans and keep in mind that Jesus, Partey, Tomiyasu, ESR and Zinny are injury prone bums who won't give you 25 prem games a season. So plan around that and make some sells.

We have Timber, White and Tomiyasu who can cover for Saliba at CB then we have Kiwior or Tomiyasu who can naturally cover for Gabriel at LCB. Selling Zinchenko and replacing him with a more reliable, attacking option would just be a like for like in terms of position, there’s also Walters who will be 20 years old this time next year, so he could be in and around the first team like Cedric.

I don’t think signing another CB is necessary as we have a whole backline of CB’s. I get an attacking fullback isn’t Arteta’s preferred option given our business over the past few years but signing someone who is capable of providing us with a different option at fullback would be nice as then we can mix it up and not become too predictable on our shape.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Why is everyone crying? Tomi has been great. He’s one of the best and most reliable utility players and tbh I wouldn’t even call him a squad player as he could easily come into our starting XI for a long duration and wouldn’t look amiss. The problem is if he can actually make it into the starting eleven.

The injuries are a concern but he’s still young, has shown a lot of promise and only been here a few seasons so as long as he sorts that out, great player to keep around. Very happy the club extended him.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Love him as a player, but renewing him is just stupid and the fact that the club keeps doing this worries me.

Can't have a utility/back up guys who are never available.

Rather sell him and Zinchenko and just find someone else for the left position.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
He's got a recurring calf problem but (to my knowledge) that's typically something you can put behind you with proper training, rehabilitation etc. He had knee surgery last year which ****ed his pre-season followed by probably overplaying because he's so vital for Japan.

One would assume the fitness staff is confident it's not a long term issue if he's being offered a new deal. Do understand the worries people have but I genuinely can't think of a player who's been undone by calf problems long term.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Yuuup! The lad is 19, he’ll overcome those injury concerns when he gets older.
He’s 25, there’s no need to be overly concerned yet.

What do you guys want? There’s a reason he was wanted by Bayern just very recently. He is a valuable player, AM is suggesting to just let his contract go down decreasing his value to the club? Genuinely makes no sense. Very confused by the reaction on here.

sdotzdot

Established Member
He's got a recurring calf problem but (to my knowledge) that's typically something you can put behind you with proper training, rehabilitation etc. He had knee surgery last year which ****ed his pre-season followed by probably overplaying because he's so vital for Japan.

One would assume the fitness staff is confident it's not a long term issue if he's being offered a new deal. Do understand the worries people have but I genuinely can't think of a player who's been undone by calf problems long term.
Exactly. I am seriously baffled by the overall negative reaction on here. His fitness record has not been great thus far but if you actually look into it, it isn’t so deeply concerning that you just bin off a valuable player who has looked great when he’s available. That makes no sense in a financial nor sporting aspect.

Do people want to let his contract run down and go for little value to absolutely nothing and replace him with someone of similar quality? Because a player with his versality would not be easy to find and would cost arguably a minimum of 30-40m. Again, really struggling to understand the issue here with his extension.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

He’s 25, there’s no need to be overly concerned yet.

What do you guys want? There’s a reason he was wanted by Bayern just very recently. He is a valuable player, AM is suggesting to just let his contract go down decreasing his value to the club? Genuinely makes no sense. Very confused by the reaction on here.

I can only speak for myself. I’m sure you’ll find your answer in the below:

Anyways, the concerns are valid just like they are for Zinchenko, Partey etc. Availability is an attribute itself and so far he’s been MIA for 2 seasons consecutively during the business end of the season and this could likely be the third, so I don’t blame people for being slightly concerned given his record.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I hope it's not true he played through injury for Japan. This country before club stuff doesn't sit well if you're on 100k with your club.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
If you have a player of his quality and versatility available for 75 percent of the games, then 100K is excellent value for money. Remains to be seen if he can do that though

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
For me, Tomi, Partey, ESR etc all should be moved on.

They've all been around for a while and have all struggled to stay fit.

Having 3 known injury prone players in your squad is too much. We need reliable squad depth if we want to challenge for the PL title, CL and domestic cups.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom