• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Takehiro Tomiyasu: Takehiro Today, Injured Tomorrow

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I hope it's not true he played through injury for Japan. This country before club stuff doesn't sit well if you're on 100k with your club.

He probably did, but the problem with calf injuries (and many other muscle problems) is you're basically "playing through an injury" while rehabbing. I assume many people know this but rehabbing and returning from an injury is literally you training and playing through pain until it isn't debilitating anymore.

When managers say a player "felt something" as a reason for them getting subbed off, it's typically not because something randomly hurt - you're genuinely almost always in some form of pain as a professional footballer - it's because something feels "off"; there's resistance where there shouldn't be, maybe your knee doesn't respond how it normally does. Pain is part of it of course, but if players didn't play because something was hurting, you'd literally see players miss 60-80% of games across a season.

So in Tomi's case, it's likely he was overplayed during his recovery, but at the same time you have to limit test your body at some point during recovery. The difference between fit and injured is tiny compared to what people think.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
For me, Tomi, Partey, ESR etc all should be moved on.

They've all been around for a while and have all struggled to stay fit.

Having 3 known injury prone players in your squad is too much. We need reliable squad depth if we want to challenge for the PL title, CL and domestic cups.

Basically, yeah. It'd be a mistake from the club planning for yet another season with Partey, Jesus, Zinchencko and Tomi as players playing a significant part of it.

Granted, you can't sell a bunch of players like that, but the planning should be mindful of when, rather than if those guys get injuted.

Which makes Takehiro on 100k even more of a head scratcher, even if his contract ends up being heavily incentivized or whatever.

At least with him, it's much less about the money and more about the squad space.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Players of Tomiyasu's calibre who can play all defensive positions very well at EPL level are first and foremost very very rare. He is quite technical for his size, and two-footed.

If you would sell him with his injury-problems and 2 years left in contract, you would likely get 10-15 million pounds for him. Money back at most which is 20 million, because he has proven his quality now at top level.

Buying a similar level replacement would cost at least 35 million pounds, like Timber. But there is always the consideration if they can be EPL level, how fast, and how fast they adjust to the tactics.

So let's say Arsenal would take a 20 million hit by selling him in the summer. Timber's wage is 90-120k pounds per week, similar to Tomiyasu's now.

It's just not possible or wise to make too many changes in one window. Tomiyasu can still become less injury-prone, and he would not play too much as his role would be smaller in coming years with better depth.

~20 million pounds is not small money. He can still be sold for good money later as he is not old for a CB for example.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Exactly. I am seriously baffled by the overall negative reaction on here.
Guy’s never been available for more than 49% games in each of the seasons he’s been here. The knee ligament injury that required surgery last spring is going to make him not susceptible to injury in the future.

It’s a waste of money and a squad spot.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Guy’s never been available for more than 49% games in each of the seasons he’s been here. The knee ligament injury that required surgery last spring is going to make him not susceptible to injury in the future.

It’s a waste of money and a squad spot.

We no also have Timber who may begin to pick up consistent niggles because of his ACL so I'm not sure there's an argument to be had about reducing Tomi's minutes & reducing his injuries.

Reactions: A_G

Bucephalus

He probably did, but the problem with calf injuries (and many other muscle problems) is you're basically "playing through an injury" while rehabbing. I assume many people know this but rehabbing and returning from an injury is literally you training and playing through pain until it isn't debilitating anymore.

When managers say a player "felt something" as a reason for them getting subbed off, it's typically not because something randomly hurt - you're genuinely almost always in some form of pain as a professional footballer - it's because something feels "off"; there's resistance where there shouldn't be, maybe your knee doesn't respond how it normally does. Pain is part of it of course, but if players didn't play because something was hurting, you'd literally see players miss 60-80% of games across a season.

So in Tomi's case, it's likely he was overplayed during his recovery, but at the same time you have to limit test your body at some point during recovery. The difference between fit and injured is tiny compared to what people think.
There's also the difference between being healed, and actually trusting it, which is a big deal with muscle injuries--is going too fast, or stretching too far, going to do it again?

Also a difference between positions. A winger like Saka or Martinelli can just not get up to full burst, and still do useful things. And it looked like they both did that earlier this season. A defender has no choice but to get suddenly get up to full speed or full stretch, so it's a longer process for them.

rotateta

Partey has been here longer than Tomi, thus that stat could be misconstrued. Partey is excellent when fit but that has not been frequent enough.

I do understand the loss of patience with partey, but tomi should not be written off yet. Thankfully it looks as if the club aren't as doing so.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Saliba's injury cost us the Prem, but Tomi's last season cost us at least winning the Europa...and that's just him in a nutshell, quality but can't really be trusted.

We have Timber (who I feel will be a starter here) and Jakub backing him up in that left back role (who has actually looked very good in his new defensive position really) and then we have Zinchenko too.

Feel we could have looked to move Tomi on with our current options, be harder now with the wage increase and if he stays injury prone.

Just gotta hope he gets fit, I guess.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Last Tomiyasu's comeback from injury was a bit annoying. Arteta had to sub Kiwior out at the half-time against Fulham as the build-up play was horrible.

This meant that Tomiyasu had to play 45 minutes straight from his first minutes back, and then he was called to the National team afterwards. 🤦‍♂️

This was also because White was having a niggle so he could not do the inverted RB role well, and wasn't so used to it at that point either.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
100k/wk is not really that crazy in today's landscape with the inflated money coming into the sport these days. If this were 6 or 7 years ago then I could see a reason to be mad about it. Looking at the wages of other "big" clubs in PL then 100k/wk is kind of standard for a guy who contributes on their 2nd or 3rd contract with a club in this league.

Our wage structures look pretty good and with some of the higher earners on the chopping block it should look even better at the start of next season.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
100k/wk is not really that crazy in today's landscape with the inflated money coming into the sport these days. If this were 6 or 7 years ago then I could see a reason to be mad about it. Looking at the wages of other "big" clubs in PL then 100k/wk is kind of standard for a guy who contributes on their 2nd or 3rd contract with a club in this league.

Would barely even cover dinner plus a nice drop of wine at Aragawa, Mayfair (£900 per steak)

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Tomi, ESR, Partey, Jesus, Zinchenko. How many proven injury prone players do you want in the squad?

It's not sustainable if you want to challenge on 4 fronts each season, you need depth and if players aren't available for half the season they're not reliable depth.

These are all good players, I'm not denying that but if you're giving new contracts to guys who have proven over multiple seasons they can't stay fit, what do you expect to happen when you tie them down to the club long term.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Tomi, ESR, Partey, Jesus, Zinchenko. How many proven injury prone players do you want in the squad?

It's not sustainable if you want to challenge on 4 fronts each season, you need depth and if players aren't available for half the season they're not reliable depth.

These are all good players, I'm not denying that but if you're giving new contracts to guys who have proven over multiple seasons they can't stay fit, what do you expect to happen when you tie them down to the club long term.
I would keep Zinny out of the lot, not sure you can't find a FB who can play his role anywhere as good, his skill set is too unique.
Jaysus is a great footballer, but it's kind of telling that last season the team performed well with Nketiah for a couple of months, and now they are doing the same with the bum Havertz.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I would keep Zinny out of the lot, not sure you can't find a FB who can play his role anywhere as good, his skill set is too unique.
Jaysus is a great footballer, but it's kind of telling that last season the team performed well with Nketiah for a couple of months, and now they are doing the same with the bum Havertz.

We were also flying with Trossard at CF before Jesus came straight in after his World Cup injury and our form went down the drain.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

But the team was on a 100 point pace with Jesus on fire (in that period) last season - that's telling.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom