• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

BobP

Memri Fan
Our build up play is quite poor, something which has been evident throughout this season.

The two deep CMs are not active at all in this as they rarely make an effort to evade their markers when our CBs are in possession of the ball.

This in turn forces our CBs to be overly ambitious with their passing which increases the risk of those passes being cut out by the opposition.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
As long as we keep winning I'll remain positive about our current tactics, while I hope we'll keep improving them as the season goes on.

Impact

Established Member
Our build-up play is too high risk. If our CBs break the first pressing line we gain an overload of players in our attack, which is obviously great. But in most games, we see the opposition force too ambitious a pass or dribble leaving us exposed with a central defender out of position or the opposition intercepts the pass and then has only our last line of defence to beat.

We should move to a more sustainable build up that relies less on individual brilliance and more on the system while offering us greater defensive stability.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I like how we really targeted West Ham's left side, I'd say it is something we planned on but of course Wenger doesn't do tactics so it couldn't have been.

Indeed. Nacho was running rampages there (Ox too, tbf). That is the risk playing with 3 CB's. This system has to be perfectly oiled otherwise any smart opponent will feast on all the open spaces on the flanks.
In addition, when you have a striker like Alexis dragging your CB's all over the place, it can be disastrous.
That is why I doubt that Chelsea can keep the pace the whole season as well. Sooner or later, they will be found out or a couple of injuries will derail the program.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I like how we really targeted West Ham's left side, I'd say it is something we planned on but of course Wenger doesn't do tactics so it couldn't have been.
:lol: It's like an urban myth that Wenger doesn't drill the team, and people are looking for examples. Even finding several second clips to prove it.

The truth is that all teams are in disarray at times. Yesterday the much lauded king of drills himself, the mighty Pep, had a terrible defensive performance. Short clips of that game would make him look naive in the extreme.

The answer to this lies in a long term study. if you discount the Liverpool and Southampton games where both our teams were extremely depleted for separate reasons, Arsenal haven't lost for getting on for 40 games in all competitions.

Could a tactically poor team do extreme consistency like that. Not a chance. The trouble is once people belief something is true, they're blind to the evidence.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Indeed. Nacho was running rampages there (Ox too, tbf). That is the risk playing with 3 CB's. This system has to be perfectly oiled otherwise any smart opponent will feast on all the open spaces on the flanks.
In addition, when you have a striker like Alexis dragging your CB's all over the place, it can be disastrous.
That is why I doubt that Chelsea can keep the pace the whole season as well. Sooner or later, they will be found out or a couple of injuries will derail the program.
Some of the Chelsea defending yesterday was diabolical. They were very lucky with City's poor misses. The one from KDB being only a few yards off the goal line.

That game was a shambles of terrible defending but incredible to watch. :lol:

EDIT. Nacho had a great game, back to his old self.

There is always a room for improvement.

But we are at similar range as other top teams when it come to goal difference, goal scored and goals conceded and that is while most here have argued that we are not at our best.

Hopefully we keep improving our game over the season!

Iddi

Can somebody please explain to me our team tactics? Are we a defensive side, possession side, counter attacking team or just a "Go into each match and hope for the best" kind of team?

Are we the latter ?... We are the most clueless team when out of possession, it always seems like our players don't know what to do defensively, they just stand off, ball watching, no pressure on the ball whatsoever, jog about while opposition players get in between the lines, ghosting in behind our back line . Then panicky last ditch clearances galore inside our penalty box. smh.

It really frustrates me. Sort it out.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Can somebody please explain to me our team tactics? Are we a defensive side, possession side, counter attacking team or just a "Go into each match and hope for the best" kind of team?

Are we the latter ?... We are the most clueless team when out of possession, it always seems like our players don't know what to do defensively, they just stand off, ball watching, no pressure on the ball whatsoever, jog about while opposition players get in between the lines, ghosting in behind our back line . Then panicky last ditch clearances galore inside our penalty box. smh.

Did you watch City, Chelsea yesterday. The whole game was panicky clearances and last ditch defending from one end to the other.

Our game had very few. If you have the matches recorded take a look.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
:lol: It's like an urban myth that Wenger doesn't drill the team, and people are looking for examples. Even finding several second clips to prove it.

The truth is that all teams are in disarray at times. Yesterday the much lauded king of drills himself, the mighty Pep, had a terrible defensive performance. Short clips of that game would make him look naive in the extreme.

The answer to this lies in a long term study. if you discount the Liverpool and Southampton games where both our teams were extremely depleted for separate reasons, Arsenal haven't lost for getting on for 40 games in all competitions.

Could a tactically poor team do extreme consistency like that. Not a chance. The trouble is once people belief something is true, they're blind to the evidence.
Tactics are dependent on the players available and results come from that. Its a gigantic discussion and not in the mood for a lengthy debate but Wenger does do tactics. The question when it needs to be is if they're the best for the team or not and if thats is the best solution but its highly dependent on the players. Situational. Very few managers and Godzilla is one of them who are good with tactical manipulation beyond the usual. Overall I'm content with our tactical structuring apart from few things here and there tho significant. Just content because obviously I want to see improved control with less last line 1v1 situations. Main thing is tho, and this is an important revelation, Results >>>>>>everything

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Tactics are dependent on the players available and results come from that. Its a gigantic discussion and not in the mood for a lengthy debate but Wenger does do tactics. The question when it needs to be is if they're the best for the team or not and if thats is the best solution but its highly dependent on the players. Situational. Very few managers and Godzilla is one of them who are good with tactical manipulation beyond the usual. Overall I'm content with our tactical structuring apart from few things here and there tho significant. Just content because obviously I want to see improved control with less last line 1v1 situations. Main thing is tho, and this is an important revelation, Results >>>>>>everything
I can live with that ;)

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Alexis must stay higher up the pitch, and play on the shoulder more. I bet yous will be surprised how much more potent we become if Alexis just looks for the ball in behind on occasions. Occasionally dropping deep does wonders for us keeping possession and playing fluid footy, but we need that point of reference in attack.

Alexis has it in him to be one of the best pure strikers on the planet, I genuinely believe that. But sometimes he needs to trust his teammates to create chances for him, rather than forcing the issue himself. Man Utd is the obvious example, he spent more time by the half way line than he did in the opposition box.

He needs to mix up his game a bit, dropping deeper when the game needs it and staying on the shoulder mainly.

Against West Ham was Alexis' most striker-like performance he's given for us. The signs at Bournemouth were encouraging but he stepped up a level away at West Ham.

Wenger on Alexis up top is interesting;

“He has all the ingredients that you want for a centre forward,” the manager told Arsenal Player. “We all would love his qualities to play there. And I think as well, now, he is convinced that it’s his best position and in every game he has that as well.

“He maintains that focus and will always kill you when he can. He can always deliver something special because he can dribble, has a short backlift, and he has pace. So that’s why it’s interesting.”

His movement gave West Ham's backline absolute nightmares. He absolutely roasted Winston Reid who in all honesty is a very good defender. He spent less time near the halfway line and more time in the final third, where he's at his most dangerous.

World class player making the successful transition to world class striker.

carlito'sway

Established Member

Seriously mate, you need to pay attention. No we are not perfect by any means, but stating that we are "the most clueless team when out of possession" is just ridiculous and laughable.

Iddi

Amazing our tactics are clueless despite the fact we won 5-1 yesterday, :lol:
Take individual brilliance away and we have been a poor team so far.. We struggle to create chances, Sanchez is the provider and creator.

We are scoring painful sweaty goals against Burnley, Middlesborough, Bournemouth etc, while against the other so called top teams Liverpool, United, Sp**s, Psg we look clueless and can't create for toffee... We beat chelsea when they were playing a formation Conte was experimenting with, but once they changed it to 3 at the back they gave us a game in the second half..

Sorry for being a dump sceptic but I am not convinced at all so far, I still see the same old weaknesses we have had season after season. 2 in midfield is not working properly so far..

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom