• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

DesiGooner

Sounds good.

Wenger will need it, since he doesn't do tactics usually.

For what's it worth, I played a 4-3-3 with Özil wide-right and a midfield of Xhaka (DLP), Ramsey (B2B), Coq (DM) and smashed Chelsea 7-3 away in my FM save :)

I agree a 3-man midfield is the way to go!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Prefer the idea of 4-3-3 over 3-4-3, we needed someone better on the left.

For the most part Özil has taken to his new forward role well, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to continue that on the left/right of a three.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
View attachment 1498

If Özil can't defend, and we don't have 3 top forwards, and we have plenty of CM options, then why not this?

A 4-3-1-2 isn't bad you know! It pretty much could function as a 4-3-3, but with a false 9.

It's a formation that could work even in Özil's absence because Alexis has already proven his productivity as a false 9. What we would then need are two forwards who can play simultaneously as inside forwards and center forwards. You've got Walcott already capable. I'd like to see Iwobi operate in a slightly more attacking capacity also.

This is moot to be honest because Wenger is going to change very little, if anything at all. Expect to see this shoddy 4-2-3-1 blueprint until he leaves.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

A 4-3-1-2 isn't bad you know! It pretty much could function as a 4-3-3, but with a false 9.

It's a formation that could work even in Özil's absence because Alexis has already proven his productivity as a false 9. What we would then need are two forwards who can play simultaneously as inside forwards and center forwards. You've got Walcott already capable. I'd like to see Iwobi operate in a slightly more attacking capacity also.

This is moot to be honest because Wenger is going to change very little, if anything at all. Expect to see this shoddy 4-2-3-1 blueprint until he leaves.
It's reasons like this that I look forward to a new manager.

I admire Wenger's stability but I would love a manager who tweaks formations and tactics to suit the opposition. Pep's having a rough time of it atm but you have to admire some of the stuff he attempts, same way you can admire how Conte brushed his pride aside after their loss to us and went for a radical change in formation.

Arsenal in Aus

Well that's the thing - I think a 4-3-1-2 would have at least as much width as our current formation does, in practice. The fullbacks provide width through overlapping runs, and with 3 in the middle behind the number 10 there's naturally more width there (although to form triangles they can't be a flat bank of 3 across the pitch). It also means that there's more space for late runs from midfield to overload the opposition box.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Our setup especially for the midfield does not compliment any of our midfielders, there's no Xhaka - Özil connection, there's no good teamwork there at all.

Wenger and the coaches need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that'll let us get the most out of our midfield players first and foremost and continue from there.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If you really simplify things, most tactics are exactly that. Of course you get the Leicester's of the world who manage to do the opposite... Let the opposition have the ball and hope for the best.

Really? You don't feel Liverpool, Chelsea, City or Sp**s have a clearer tactical approach than us?

truth_hurts

That's not what I am saying. It was meant to be a joke but I see you're very touchy today.

Touchy? On the contrary fella am just asking a question, on a forum- imagine that!

P.s. Exclamation Mark's can be used commands, statements or effect. Your previous message didn't contain an Exclamation mark so naturally I assumed it wasn't supposed to be a humorous post. Have a nice day.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I think more and more people are realizing that 4-2-3-1 is getting outdated and a switch might be necessary.

What other formations could possibly work? 3-4-3 is a bit of the hype now because of Chelski, but it would suit our team too and solve a few problems too.

1540853_Arsenal.jpg

Midfield would be much more solid with two wingbacks making up the four, rather than two attackers. Ideally we'd get an upgrade on Gibbs, but he could perform that role decently.

Özil would be moved to a centre-left position (blasphemy I know), but he would have less defensive responsibility than wingers in our current system do.

Last but not least the back three looks gorgeous and would also mask Monreal's lack of pace. It requires a lot of the wingbacks, but Bellerin often plays as one already anyway.
I love this, Vincelotti.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Touchy? On the contrary fella am just asking a question, on a forum- imagine that!

P.s. Exclamation Mark's can be used commands, statements or effect. Your previous message didn't contain an Exclamation mark so naturally I assumed it wasn't supposed to be a humorous post. Have a nice day.
To answer your initial Q. No, I feel their tactics are much better than ours.

truth_hurts

A formation by itself is not a tactic

I agree but by design of you play a formation that includes wing backs by design the tactics fall into place.

I couldn't describe our tactics to a fan of another team. I THINK they are to move the ball quickly and try to manufacture chances. In terms of pressing, air don't know how we press or even if we do press.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom