• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I doubt any player would come out and say he wants a club legend (haters and lovers must agree on this) to leave. I understand the intent of some players as we know some of them are here to work with Wenger - what that means for the teams success is debatable.

Many ex players have noted that Wenger's biggest weakness is his trust in players.
That is made even worse when you consider his stubbornness.

Now, if Wenger is at all willing to change to keep some of his best players here then I can see us taking a step forward (if Wenger were more ruthless basically) otherwise, if the same players are here next season, players who truly have no business starting, then I will fully jump on the Wenger out wagon. I doubt this is his last season, I see him leaving next season but this is too early.

The summer will dictate our stadium mood next season. Whether it will be toxic or not will depend on outgoings more so than who comes in IMO.

Of all things, this has been my main issue with Arsène. His trust and reliance on a number of average players that have no business playing for AFC (among them some fans' favorites here). That is also why it is crucial for the club to hire a DoF who will evaluate the current squad and act accordingly.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Of all things, this has been my main issue with Arsène. His trust and reliance on a number of average players that have no business playing for AFC (among them some fans' favorites here). That is also why it is crucial for the club to hire a DoF who will evaluate the current squad and act accordingly.
This.

Wenger's other massive mistake is not being able to ever get a settled side, for years. The midfield in particular needs stability, and solid players. Look at this:

Elneny Xhaka Sutton
Coq Xhaka Bayern
Ox Coq Hull
Ox Coq Chelsea
Coq Ramsey Watford
MN Ox Southampton
Ramsey Xhaka Burnley

Chelsea
Kante Matic Burnley
Kante Matic Arsenal
Kante Matic. Liverpool
Kante Matic Hull
Kante Matic Leicester

Injuries, suspensions, internationals have all dogged us. You can't win the league like this, the players need to build teamwork and understanding.

Godwin1

Very well-known
This.

Wenger's other massive mistake is not being able to ever get a settled side, for years. The midfield in particular needs stability, and solid players. Look at this:

Elneny Xhaka Sutton
Coq Xhaka Bayern
Ox Coq Hull
Ox Coq Chelsea
Coq Ramsey Watford
MN Ox Southampton
Ramsey Xhaka Burnley

Chelsea
Kante Matic Burnley
Kante Matic Arsenal
Kante Matic. Liverpool
Kante Matic Hull
Kante Matic Leicester

Injuries, suspensions, internationals have all dogged us. You can't win the league like this, the players need to build teamwork and understanding.
Would you really advocate a DoF coming in to oversee Wenger though? I mean Wenger would never allow that to happen obviously but hypothetically would you support this? Doesn't seem to be the sort of thing you'd go for. Unless you and Carlito are talking about the future manager.

Hunter Zolomon

trust and reliance on the wrong playes is a nice way to describe incompetence. Even mourinho knew to substitute Özil at certain times. Its called player management, other managers who pick the wrong players are never said to rely or trust the wrong players and rightfully so, I am supposed to believe that wenger has a great eye for talent yet, he still persisted with certain duds and consistently recruited players with certain limitations. I dont blame the players but the person that recruited them.
Now he doesnt play lucas as much as he should and insists on iwobi and walcott another case of "trust and reliance" on the wrong players. Its called makinfg a bad decision end of.

Last edited:

goonerwarsh

Established Member

Great watch that, and fairly damning what Sol says about the difference between his first spell at Arsenal compared to the second.

For me, if Arsène signs on for another deal then I'll be signing off from really following the club until he goes. As much as I respect the man and what he has done. I really don't like what modern day Arsenal has become and what it currently stands for. I think there is poor mentality and dare I say unprofessional approach from the playing personnel.

I think Arsenal are taking advantage of the fans asking them to pay premium prices for a product that is nowhere near able to compete for honours. We've got players dragging their heels over new deals, others given expensive new contracts when they're not even physically able to contribute anything to the cause and many players that are perfectly happy to earn fortunes and live a comfy life in leafy Hertfordshire mansions without ever being asked serious questions as to why they are not achieving more with their careers.

Now more so than ever in the last twelve years we are desperately in need of change, fresh ideas and a much more hardened mentality from men who have a genuine hunger to win things at the top of the game, not race to take celebratory topless selfies of each other after one ****ing victory.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Would you really advocate a DoF coming in to oversee Wenger though? I mean Wenger would never allow that to happen obviously but hypothetically would you support this? Doesn't seem to be the sort of thing you'd go for. Unless you and Carlito are talking about the future manager.

Actually, I do and I also believe, taking in account the semi crisis situation, that Arsène would go along with that. Specially if this is someone that he is comfortable with.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
trust and reliance on the wrong playes is a nice way to describe incompetence. Even mourinho knew to substitute Özil at certain times. Its called player management, other managers who pick the wrong players are never said to rely to trust the wrong players and rightfully so, I am supposed to believe that wenger has a great eye for talent yet, he still persisted with certain duds and consistently recruited players with certain limitations. I dont blame the players but the person that recruited them.
Now he doesnt play lucas as much as he should and insists on iwobi and walcott another case of "trust and reliance" on the wrong players. Its called makinfg a bad decision end of.

At any other club it's called incompetence. Not by the loony minority here though.

With the sort of line of defence I'm reading now, I actually think it'd be easier for them to say they want him gone.

We 'couldn't get a settled midfield' now :lol: That's not even worth responding to....It's a ****ing train wreck of a 'defence'.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Personally can't see Wenger working with anybody else. He's been top dog for too long.

He'll either leave or there'll be a transition year where the board need space to find a replacement, like Man C did.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Like Wenger's ever going to have a DoF :lol::lol::lol:

We're now reinventing the man without his permission just so we can somehow justify him still having control on matchday, despite showing that it's in that very capacity that he's at his weakest these days . Jesus christ. Or even YAWN!!!

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

At any other club it's called incompetence. Not by the loony minority here though.

With the sort of line of defence I'm reading now, I actually think it'd be easier for them to say they want him gone.

We 'couldn't get a settled midfield' now :lol: That's not even worth responding to....It's a ****ing train wreck of a 'defence'.
Your hype's sky rocketing :lol:

We're discussing what needs to be done to win the league not stave off relegation ffs.

3years . . . 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3x CL qualifications and 2x FACups. There's no incompetence there ffs. You're getting worse as the end draws near.

If there's a pill for perspective get a bottle quick and it just might see you through his remaining weeks without a breakdown :lol:

Godwin1

Very well-known
This.

Elneny Xhaka Sutton
Coq Xhaka Bayern
Ox Coq Hull
Ox Coq Chelsea
Coq Ramsey Watford
MN Ox Southampton
Ramsey Xhaka Burnley

Chelsea
Kante Matic Burnley
Kante Matic Arsenal
Kante Matic. Liverpool
Kante Matic Hull
Kante Matic Leicester

You kind of made out this was a Wenger mistake but at the end there seem to be blaming it on injuries and suspensions. Very sneaky ;)

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Most of our squad is average with a few outliers. We have stockpiled so much mediocrity its painful.

We need to seriously restructure before we go out and get a star. With Wenger staying, the only solution is to hope for a lot of outgoings with one or two great buys. We have a great foundation, we just need to add where it's missing.

Our back 4 is solid with only LB a worry. Our midfield has a great foundation in Xhaka as the anchor. Ofcourse we need to decide on a new system for next season to adequately utilise his skills. Whether it is a 3 or 2 that dictates the type of player we need to partner him with.

Our front 3 is also sorted. With outgoings like Theo etc we can maybe strengthen with 1 other WC or proven player. Lucas is proven but doubt many fans will be satisfied with no attacking signings. Sanchez is set to be our main CF if he extends which leaves the question of where Özil will play. If we play a proactive 3 then I can see a free role on the left working out otherwise it will be very hard to place him in a 3 unless as a decoy false 9.

This squad won't be able to be seriously rebooted, at least not so much under Wenger as our wage structure will prevent us from doing so. Unfortunately we're going to have to run down quite a few contracts to move some of the dross on and lose significant money on players who would have fetched a decent amount of money had their wages been a bit more realistic.

I think you're hoping in vain, unfortunately.

Arsenal in Aus

The problem is it's the same every year. No serious title challenge, even when we've been in the top 4 for so long. A couple of FA Cups doesn't cut it. Failure in CL. So much baggage.

Dropping below 4th means taking a hit financially, but we're still well ahead of most EPL clubs financially even then. I enjoy watching European matches in the group stage, but in the knockout stages I'm always preparing to be embarrassed. I'm really sick of that.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Great watch that, and fairly damning what Sol says about the difference between his first spell at Arsenal compared to the second.

For me, if Arsène signs on for another deal then I'll be signing off from really following the club until he goes. As much as I respect the man and what he has done. I really don't like what modern day Arsenal has become and what it currently stands for. I think there is poor mentality and dare I say unprofessional approach from the playing personnel.

I think Arsenal are taking advantage of the fans asking them to pay premium prices for a product that is nowhere near able to compete for honours. We've got players dragging their heels over new deals, others given expensive new contracts when they're not even physically able to contribute anything to the cause and many players that are perfectly happy to earn fortunes and live a comfy life in leafy Hertfordshire mansions without ever being asked serious questions as to why they are not achieving more with their careers.

Now more so than ever in the last twelve years we are desperately in need of change, fresh ideas and a much more hardened mentality from men who have a genuine hunger to win things at the top of the game, not race to take celebratory topless selfies of each other after one ****ing victory.

I'll bet you anything you'll be glued to your tv/stream as soon as Wenger starts winning games with possible new deal

OShea's2010

This.

Elneny Xhaka Sutton
Coq Xhaka Bayern
Ox Coq Hull
Ox Coq Chelsea
Coq Ramsey Watford
MN Ox Southampton
Ramsey Xhaka Burnley

Chelsea
Kante Matic Burnley
Kante Matic Arsenal
Kante Matic. Liverpool
Kante Matic Hull
Kante Matic Leicester

Why pick out 7 fixtures for Arsenal and 5 for Chelsea. not exactly like for like. also Arsenal had 3 cup games in the 7 fixtures, so you're bound to see some rotation. Chelsea have been playing well so why change. arsenal haven't so trying different options.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Most of our squad is average with a few outliers. We have stockpiled so much mediocrity its painful.

We need to seriously restructure before we go out and get a star. With Wenger staying, the only solution is to hope for a lot of outgoings with one or two great buys. We have a great foundation, we just need to add where it's missing.

Our back 4 is solid with only LB a worry. Our midfield has a great foundation in Xhaka as the anchor. Ofcourse we need to decide on a new system for next season to adequately utilise his skills. Whether it is a 3 or 2 that dictates the type of player we need to partner him with.

Our front 3 is also sorted. With outgoings like Theo etc we can maybe strengthen with 1 other WC or proven player. Lucas is proven but doubt many fans will be satisfied with no attacking signings. Sanchez is set to be our main CF if he extends which leaves the question of where Özil will play. If we play a proactive 3 then I can see a free role on the left working out otherwise it will be very hard to place him in a 3 unless as a decoy false 9.
Read my post buddy. I am not disagreeing with what we need. I just don't think that is what all fans want to see. You and I may want that but the majority of the fanbase will be pleased with a shiny new toy.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
I'll bet you anything you'll be glued to your tv/stream as soon as Wenger starts winning games with possible new deal

Yeah of course I will. I'm a gooner...just thought I'd say it for a bit of dramatic effect ;)

In truth though, I have switched off this season. Where as if the Arsenal are on I'd always make sure that I'm there watching it or sometimes I go to the game, much the Mrs annoyance. The last few weeks if something else comes up the I do that, I couldn't even get excited about the Bayern game, just ended up watching the highlights as I thought it was that predictable what was going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom