• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBump

Chambers could/will be an excellent CB. It's where he's played best.
I don't see him as a RB and I definitely don't see him as a DM like so many do.

But this year has been a waste of good learning experiences. He should of been playing at a lower club playing week in week out.

Chambers will be the next Ox. Fantastic potential ruined by Wenger.

Heisenberg

Buy a experienced CB like Benatia this summer, and give Calum Chambers a loan spell for 1 or 2 years.
Plenty of PL clubs will be all over him, and we might even find a place where they play a similar style of football.
Even in London, two teams could be interested; Watford and Palace.

I think this is the only way Chambers can become an Arsenal first team regular. No chance on RB, unless Barcelona suddenly gets Bellerin. I doubt he has the talent to be a top class DM, but he is indeed better on the ball than most our defenders.
He modern CB seems like the obvious future, and a potential Koscielny replacement in 2 years time.

indy23

Don't think hes under hyped. He's hyped just enough. I don't see a future shutdown marksman or a controller in him but more of a supportive talent besides said elite marksman and/or controller.

It maybe a premature opinion but so is the latter.

We have got to seriously build our defensive core as much as our attack in the summer and i believe Calum will be apart of that.

BBF

Struggling to understand why he's being neglected. His performances when he was getting a regular opportunities were better than anything Gabriel has showed us bar the game vs Everton.

Does Wenger honestly think there's more of future with Gabriel instead of Chambers? We've got **** all to play for. Terrible management.

Toast

Established Member
Buy a experienced CB like Benatia this summer, and give Calum Chambers a loan spell for 1 or 2 years.

I really like this plan. Chambers needs a lot of game time asap. He's in danger of becoming yet another failed prospect (or at least one who's stalling in his development) due to a simple lack of playing time.

Edit: out of curiosity, could Chambers regularly play for our reserves? And if so, why isn't he?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I really like this plan. Chambers needs a lot of game time asap. He's in danger of becoming yet another failed prospect (or at least one who's stalling in his development) due to a simple lack of playing time.

Edit: out of curiosity, could Chambers regularly play for our reserves? And if so, why isn't he?
Keep him fresh in case he's needed for first team action. Reserve games tend to be quite close to first team games.

On Chambers, I can't even remember if he's good or bad anymore. Hardly see the guy play. I just remember he's better on the ball than your average CB, literally all I remember about him.

dysphoria

Established Member
Why did we buy him for 16mil quid, start him in a couple of positions if he's apparently not good enough yet and then bench/drop him WHEN he's supposed to be our backup right back/4th center back? I don't understand the rational other than 1) i'd have him on the bench ahead of gibbs and 2) if he is a viable option at a deep/holding midfielder, why isn't he taking flamini's place on the bench?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think Calum should move above both Per and Gabriel in the depth chart. He's better than both imo.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

He was excellent next to Koscielny start of last season, when Per was still on holiday after the World Cup. Think everyone was quite amazed by how well he did.

He could and should have played a lot more this season, though. Why not at least play him against relegation fodder at home? His ball playing qualities are very useful in such games and he would gain much needed experience.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Too slow over a short distance for a full back, and too small for a centre back, 5ft 11 for a permant position. At 6ft 1 Kos isn't a giant but Per makes up for it with his height.
Good ball player just not sure where he'd fit in.

Heisenberg

Too slow over a short distance for a full back, and too small for a centre back, 5ft 11 for a permant position. At 6ft 1 Kos isn't a giant but Per makes up for it with his height.
Too small? For what exactly?

Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carles Puyol, Kolo Toure, Cannavaro, Ricardo Carvalho, Steve Bruce, Jamie Carragher and Ivanovic are - or were - all pretty good centre backs. All of them are either similar height or smaller than Chambers.

But, he needs to add on some kilos in the gym. The height is not a problem.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Seems from the comments on here that he was decent when he played.

I just can't believe Arsène moans about value in the market then spends 15M on a guy who's barely played in two seasons.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Would his value be any higher or lower if he had stayed at Southampton? I for one dont think he'd have gotten a look in at Southampton and we spent 16m on him.

He has gone backwards since he signed. He was third choice, heck for a while he was starting every week, now he's lucky to get a spot on the bench.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Would his value be any higher or lower if he had stayed at Southampton? I for one dont think he'd have gotten a look in at Southampton and we spent 16m on him.

He has gone backwards since he signed. He was third choice, heck for a while he was starting every week, now he's lucky to get a spot on the bench.
He might have gotten games at RB after Clyne left but the lad gets roasted by any half decent winger. They then wouldn't have trusted him to replace Lovren in the heart of their defence as he was around 18 when that happened.

So yeah, I guess you're right.

McIntyre

Established Member
I feel sorry for him. As far as feeling sorry for a guy getting paid thousands of pounds by a professional football club can go, that is.

He's being wasted at this club. Big time.

BBF

He's 6ft. Taller than Toure, Gallas, Monreal etc etc.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
He started 18 PL games the season before he joined Arsenal.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Too small? For what exactly?

Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carles Puyol, Kolo Toure, Cannavaro, Ricardo Carvalho, Steve Bruce, Jamie Carragher and Ivanovic are - or were - all pretty good centre backs. All of them are either similar height or smaller than Chambers.

But, he needs to add on some kilos in the gym. The height is not a problem.

Interesting point you raise. Wenger got critisised when he had Gallas (6ft) and Toure (6ft). Height for clearing high balls and better vision can't do any harm.
People with exceptional skills in one area can make up for deficienies in others eg high leap may overcome height. But there's a reason why most high jumpers are very tall. Your list of centre backs are classy players by and large but I think some of them are taller than Chambers, like Sergio Ramos and Thiago Silva and smaller ones with a good leap often play with taller ones eg
Adams (6ft 3) and Keown (6ft 1)
Pallister (6ft 4) and Bruce (6ft)
Hyppia (6ft 5) and Henchoz (6ft 2)
Hyppia (6ft 5) and Carragher (6ft 1)
Stam (6ft 3) and Henning Berg (6ft)
Desailly (6ft 2) and Lebouef (6ft)
Campbell (6ft 2) and Toure (6ft)
Terry (6ft 2) and Carvalho (6ft)
Ferdinand (6 ft 2) and Vidic (6ft 1)
Maybe Chambers will make it at 5ft 11, as you say Cannavaro did at 5ft 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom