• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Can Welbeck take the next step?

number_0

Established Member
I can't believe people want us to get rid of welbeck, when we have podolski, cambell, sanogo and gnabry below him in the pecking order.

And it's not like the presence of welbz is stopping wenger from investing in a world class forward.

He's English and an international, so if Wenger ever says "you're not in my first team plans", Welbeck will look to leave straight away.

These guys would rather start for West Ham or Swansea, than sit on their contract here.

Don't forget that City and Chelsea need HG players.

He would probably get pay rise leaving us.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Yeah but with Gervinho he shat himself every time he had to make a decision on the pitch. Insane how much of his game was instinct based.

Welbz has a well rounded, solid game apart from his finishing. I think he's got a good football I.Q just technically his finishing's off.

Sorry I just don't see it mate, physically he has got it not sure about his football IQ though, looks all over the place up top and his runs off the ball are really poor.

I think the only way we're going to settle this is to see how he does next season.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I can't believe people want us to get rid of welbeck, when we have podolski, cambell, sanogo and gnabry below him in the pecking order.

And it's not like the presence of welbz is stopping wenger from investing in a world class forward.

People want him replaced not getting rid of without bringing someone else in mate. All those others should just be gotten rid of though with the exception of Gnabry.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think Welbeck still has it in him to becme a class forward, I'm not sure he'll get the time up top here to fulfil his potential

sammyvine

He is very average IMO and will split opinion. A lot of my United fans mates never rated him and we're glad to see the back of him. When other United fans used to compare him to Henry I never really understood why.

He has good link up play but his finishing is atrocious. He is 24 now and has yet to show improvement as a striker. His goal scoring record is also woeful. Make all the excuses you want for hin, but Charlie Austin scored more than him last season ffs playing for QPR.
Everton/Villa is his level IMO.

sammyvine

I think Welbeck still has it in him to becme a class forward, I'm not sure he'll get the time up top here to fulfil his potential
No he doesn't. He is 25 soon. If your going to be a 'class forward' he would have shown that by now. He has no excuse either. He has played for United and Arsenal. ...2 of the best clubs in the league, so you can't use the 'he plays with poor teammates' excuse.
I can see why Van Gaal got rid tbh. He doesn't score enough goals...simple as. Bentenke playa for a poor team yet has scored more goals than him every season. They are the same age as well.

ScotVieira

Established Member
Comparing him to guys who play solely up top is doing him a disservice. He has hardly had the chance to play up top solely in order to judge him against guys who have been playing regularly up top.
His athleticism/versatility is what seems to count against him sometimes imo as he gets made to fill in the wings more often then not.
He scores quite well for England when he plays up top.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Comparing him to guys who play solely up top is doing him a disservice. He has hardly had the chance to play up top solely in order to judge him against guys who have been playing regularly up top.
His athleticism/versatility is what seems to count against him sometimes imo as he gets made to fill in the wings more often then not.
He scores quite well for England when he plays up top.
He had his chance up top though and Wenger decided he would go with Giroud. Of course that doesn't mean the final nail in the coffin for Welbeck or anything like that, but it's probably telling that Wenger dropped him like a sack of potatoes when Giroud was fit.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Giroud did in 2 months what Welbeck hasn't managed to do his whole career. If I was to pick out Welbecks top 10 goals I bet he's falling backwards in at least 5 of them.

Giroud

Established Member
Let's not forget it took Walcott a while to find his goalscoring touch and if Welbeck can do the same he could be a very effective player. He just doesn't seem to gamble in and around the box or get enough shots away when he has the chance. His acceleration is insane so he can easily beat a man or make space for a shot but he doesn't use it enough.

Frustrating player but he's still only 24 so there's still hope for him if he can learn to make the most of his attributes like Walcott.

Bould14

Danny has been immense for us. Not in front of goal, but you can tell he was coached by Fergie. He helps his fullbacks he tries to be decisive on the wing. Makes killer runs much like Theo does for us. Just wish his England scoring record was for us instead. People tend to forget we lost against Spuds because Theo was just standing there instead of pressuring the ball.

Impact

Established Member
Danny has been immense for us. Not in front of goal, but you can tell he was coached by Fergie. He helps his fullbacks he tries to be decisive on the wing. Makes killer runs much like Theo does for us. Just wish his England scoring record was for us instead. People tend to forget we lost against Spuds because Theo was just standing there instead of pressuring the ball.

Who have you been watching?

Welbeck's movement and assertiveness are amongst the areas he needs to work on the most. He doesn't make runs like a striker and is often too passive on the ball, when he has the skill set to beat players 1 v 1.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Lad, we on about the same Welbeck?

Welbeck's movement is dire. He doesn't look like a striker when he plays up top for us, doesn't look natural for him. He's strong, has a good work rate, rapid and has a great leap, barely anything else beyond that. For me Welbeck is backup LW to Alexis. In a big game when we need someone to help the full back or something, sort of like how Fergie used him.

Also we simply weren't at it against Spuds. They played with a lot more desire than us and it showed. Welbeck did brilliantly in the build up to the goal though, I'll give him that much.

Livedk

Established Member
if we are to be fair to him - his goal record played as cf for England is very good - when he was played as CF for united for any period of time he also banged them in.

and yes he did get a small run as CF for us - problem was that we played the 4141 with Özil wide - we were utter **** and the formation really didnt suit welbeck - had we played the 4231 he would have done better.

there is obv some potential there - not sure it can be realized though - would love to move him on, think Liverpool would be a good fit for him - 20 mil + welbeck and they can ship sterling of to us.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
wellbeckcele.gif

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary
Top Bottom