• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Draw Champions League Quarter Finals 1st Leg: Arsenal 2 - 2 Bayern Munich | Tuesday 9th April | KO: 20:00 BST | TNT Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_arsenal.jpg

Screenshot-20240407-212037-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240407-211957-Chrome.jpg

Prediction

Arsenal 2-0 Bayern

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
But that's a different competition and we've played Liverpool and City each 5/6 times in the last two seasons, whilst this is the first ever game against Munchen and first time ever in a CL quarter, so it's not quite the same, is it?

I dont see much of a difference really.

Sure the team and players are different, but their approach was quite recognisable on the night. Hold off on a high press, unless the situation calls for it. Wait for the ball to move into central areas and then force turnovers and attack Arsenal's weaker side defensively. It was a classic counter attacking game from Bayern on the night, and you could predict that by just looking at their defense and workman like midfield.

The only real difference that I do acknowledge is that its the Champions League. Tactical plans may be similar to the PL, but approach and execution is different, and that makes it a different challenge yes.

outlawz

I dont see much of a difference really.

Sure the team and players are different, but their approach was quite recognisable on the night. Hold off on a high press, unless the situation calls for it. Wait for the ball to move into central areas and then force turnovers and attack Arsenal's weaker side defensively. It was a classic counter attacking game from Bayern on the night, and you could predict that by just looking at their defense and workman like midfield.

The only real difference that I do acknowledge is that its the Champions League. Tactical plans may be similar to the PL, but approach and execution is different, and that makes it a different challenge yes.

The fact that it's a different team and players is exactly why it's different, even if the tactics are the recognisable. How many players have we faced that has the pace and skill of Sane to make both Gabriel and Saliba miss a tackle? Only Salah and he's nowhere near as quick anymore.

Do you think playing 10 times versus Man City and Liverpool would put us in a good stead to face Real Madrid? I don't think it would because it's a completely different team which will pose completely new problems.

ThisFather

Fan of Alpha Males
We need to stop being so open at the back with the high line. If you look at previous winners like Real Madrid and Chelsea, they were balanced.

We played like we were 1-0 down in stoppage time for the whole match. Against Brighton it works. But not against Bayern.

We need to stop being so open at the back with the high line. If you look at previous winners like Real Madrid and Chelsea, they were balanced.

We played like we were 1-0 down in stoppage time for the whole match. Against Brighton it works. But not against Bayern.
Agreed. We should have held our mantle at 1-0. Wait for them to come at us and murder them with counters ... That game was so unlike Arteta's new foumd tactical nous.... Good thing about him is he adapts quickly so if we get lucky with a first goal at Alliance, they might be ****ed!

MA08

I think the match was more about our nervousness. We were over excited and lost our heads a bit. Once we settled down we controlled Bayern. The one thing that worried me was the last chance we conceded(when Coman hit the post), where Gabriel jumped to head out a ball for which Saliba already going for. That was not controlled defending again.

Next week, we will adjust and defeat them at Allianz arena.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Agreed. We should have held our mantle at 1-0. Wait for them to come at us and murder them with counters ... That game was so unlike Arteta's new foumd tactical nous.... Good thing about him is he adapts quickly so if we get lucky with a first goal at Alliance, they might be ****ed!

Think there's a bit of revisionism here. At 1-0 we were completely on top and Bayern were rattled; we were well within our rights to push for a second goal which we should have done with the White chance. We were undone but a very uncharacteristic litany of errors from Raya, Gabriel + Kiwior

Think there's a bit of revisionism here. At 1-0 we were completely on top and Bayern were rattled; we were well within our rights to push for a second goal which we should have done with the White chance. We were undone but a very uncharacteristic litany of errors from Raya, Gabriel + Kiwior
I think you don't go full throttle against a side like Bayern whose main weapon is their pace and clinical finishing! Of course if we would have got the second goal we'd both be happy but still, i think you don't do that in a crunch tie or even in a run in! Not piling pressure would have meant our guys would be much better positionally and not open to a ruthless counters..... All i am saying is we could have won the game 2 or 3 nil had we taken our time.....

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think you don't go full throttle against a side like Bayern whose main weapon is their pace and clinical finishing! Of course if we would have got the second goal we'd both be happy but still, i think you don't do that in a crunch tie or even in a run in! Not piling pressure would have meant our guys would be much better positionally and not open to a ruthless counters..... All i am saying is we could have won the game 2 or 3 nil had we taken our time.....

Bayern's equalizer came from a chain of mistakes from us under minimal pressure, not some ruthless counter because we were pushed up too high.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Had White scored, it would have been a different game, but I guess that is in the "shoulda coulda" bin.

Artemis

I really don't understand this underestimation of Bayern.

Elite european club with tonnes of experience in CL, with coach who is expert in cup competitions (and who already won CL), with striker who scores 40-50 goals per season (and who scored 14 goals against Arsenal in 19 matches before joining Bayern), with 17-18 players who are familiar to play in CL QF or semis, with squad who has 15 different ways to score.
And some people here expected that Arsenal will batter them?
They're rubbish and will be slaughtered in the semi-final if they get there. If they get City especially, it would be a massacre.

We scored early and should have scored more. Please don't be stuck in the past. Football has moved on from the days where we had an inferior team to Bayern. We now have a superior side. Bayern expected defeat and were surprised that they even drew at the Emirates.

We just have to admit that our team messed up badly and didn't perform to the expected level. They got nervous and messed up big time.

Artemis

On a positive note since away goals don’t matter anymore there is no real pressure on us to chase the game in the away leg. I think we’ve got the quality to get a result in Munich and if we don’t then the experience will be invaluable. Nothing has been determined yet we have a great chance of doing this.
That's a good point but I have to disagree with you on one thing. About experience.

Losing to this rubbish Bayern side whose manager has already been told that he's gone in the summer for underperforming and whose players have no confidence in the coaching will not bring valuable experience to our players. Trust me on this.

If anything, it will actually have a demoralizing effect on the players because I can assure you that teams like Bayern (and their likes) will strengthen next season and Arsenal players will once again go into next year's fixture being nervous and lacking confidence once again.

Losing to a better side like Real Madrid would bring some experience, because they're actually a solid side this season. But Bayern are weak all over the pitch, especially defensively. And their coach is literally underperforming by all metrics. If we can't beat them now, then there's no way that anyone can expect us to beat them when they strengthen next season.

Confidence doesn't come from being beaten by teams who have no chance winning the competition themselves.

The only way this Arsenal side will grow is by eliminating Bayern. Otherwise it's back to square 1.

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

An admirable ethos from the films & documentaries I've seen.

Along with the Japanese, you Scandis are the best when ut comes to living in harmony with nature.
Nowadays we mostly spend £2000 on a Hilleberg tent, and pretend we're Roald Amundsen, all while hammering away at our phones to document our "expedition" on social media.

It's going downhill I tell you!

Artemis

But that's a different competition and we've played Liverpool and City each 5/6 times in the last two seasons, whilst this is the first ever game against Munchen and first time ever in a CL quarter, so it's not quite the same, is it?
They're much weaker than both City & Liverpool though. I understand that it's the CL and the spotlight is different, but the way they capitulated is very similar to the tail end of last season. It seems like whenever this side is about to take a huge leap forward, they totally fold.

It has nothing to do with ability. We know what the team is capable of. It's just bewildering how they nervous they get towards the tail end of competitions.

Bayern's equalizer came from a chain of mistakes from us under minimal pressure, not some ruthless counter because we were pushed up too high.
Fair play..... Nevertheless, i still think a controlled game could have yielded a positive result especially after the early dagger. Anyhow, let's just hope that we correct it in the second leg.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐
Trusted ⭐

Nowadays we mostly spend £2000 on a Hilleberg tent, and pretend we're Roald Amundsen, all while hammering away at our phones to document our "expedition" on social media.

It's going downhill I tell you!

It's alike everywhere, brother.

Last summer, traveled to Somalia & spent a weekend camping in the mountains. All going well until one of my cousins breaks oug his phone & starts "streaming" our camping experience.

After he was shut down with prejuduce, I told him streaming was never a part of camping which was conducted thusly:

1. Gather willing family & friends.

2. Hastily gather supplies.

3. Forget to properly dispose of red-meat leftovers thereby inviting lions, hyenas & leopards.

4. Fighting said lions, hyenas & leopards for leftovers.

5. Go home :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom